Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Dry in April

damianslaw

Posted

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I think statistically April is often one of the driest months of the year, if not the driest, especially here in the NW of England, west and NW Scotland. May might give it a run for its money. 

As we seem stuck in a lengthy dry period here, would like to know the top 5 driest Aprils, and whether the stats bear fruit to the fact April is more likely to be drier than any other month.

April 2011 I think brought nil rain to many places.

Apart from a sprinkling or two here, we've had nothing, this comes on the back of a very dry latter part to March. Indeed we've had 4 weeks now with little rain.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I think statistically April is often one of the driest months of the year, if not the driest, especially here in the NW of England, west and NW Scotland. May might give it a run for its money. 

As we seem stuck in a lengthy dry period here, would like to know the top 5 driest Aprils, and whether the stats bear fruit to the fact April is more likely to be drier than any other month.

April 2011 I think brought nil rain to many places.

Apart from a sprinkling or two here, we've had nothing, this comes on the back of a very dry latter part to March. Indeed we've had 4 weeks now with little rain.

I just posted about this in the spring thread funnily enough. We've had 4.0mm so far this April after only 16.2mm in March. The 12z GFS suggests just 1mm more before the end of the month, which would make it the 2nd driest March and April combined in 40 years here, just behind 2011 (13.2mm).

It's playing havoc with the farmer's fields around here after the wet Autumn and winter. The growth is now at the point it was in early February last year, with the ground already cracked.

This trend of alternating droughts and floods is not good for them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Statistically February is the driest month although that seems to be changing in modern times.

The driest Aprils  in this region are

2011...2mm

2007....4.2mm

1938....5.7mm

1957....6.6mm

Like Reef says we seem to go from one extreme to another so will probably be another 3 or 4 years and then get another 6 months of Atlantic rain records

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
On 14 April 2020 at 21:35, damianslaw said:

I don't have the stats to back it up, but I think statistically April is often one of the driest months of the year, if not the driest, especially here in the NW of England

Put it this way, the last occasion this region recorded a 100+mm  April was in 1970 and that was the wettest April on record regionally.  That's 50 years ago. 

Posted

It’s a similar story for my location in Wiltshire. Working backwards 

2019 ; 46mm

2018 ; 67.5mm

2017 ; 5mm!!!!

2016 ; 68mm

2015 ; 24mm

2014 ; 97mm

2013 ; 44mm

The way this month has been is even stranger with 16 dry days, a very wet 24 hours incorporating the 17th/18th (with 31mm of rain) and a forecast of dry from now until at least the 26th means it’s perfectly feasible that we will have just that 31mm in the entire month! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Only have to go to 2012 for the last 100mm+ April here, sandwiched between a very dry 2011 and 2013. Like Andy above, my 2017 is equally pitiful and is my driest ever recorded April.

Posted
2 hours ago, MP-R said:

Only have to go to 2012 for the last 100mm+ April here, sandwiched between a very dry 2011 and 2013. Like Andy above, my 2017 is equally pitiful and is my driest ever recorded April.

Yes suspect 2012 delivered over 100 mm to quite a few places, it was very wet here.

2017 I've completely forgotten about, can't recall anything about it - unlike 2007 and 2011 it wasn't especially warm from memory, so the dryness doesn't stand out. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Put it this way, the last occasion this region recorded a 100+mm  April was in 1970 and that was the wettest April on record regionally.  That's 50 years ago. 

A bit different here,we have had 6 Aprils breaking 100mm since 1970

1983   130mm

1986   129mm

1993   105mm

1998   124mm

2000   120mm

and 2012   154mm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Yes suspect 2012 delivered over 100 mm to quite a few places, it was very wet here.

2017 I've completely forgotten about, can't recall anything about it - unlike 2007 and 2011 it wasn't especially warm from memory, so the dryness doesn't stand out. 

Yeah 2017 was otherwise unremarkable, other than an early warm blip on the 8th and 9th. The final week saw a drier toned down version of the late April 2016 cold spell.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

March will be the driest month of the year in London for the 91-20 period, but April is a close 2nd/3rd with February.

Last few Aprils here. Very dry in 2011 and 2017; very wet in 2012 and 2018.

2020: 38.2mm

2019: 12.8mm

2018: 65.2mm

2017: 4.6mm

2016: 47.2mm

2015: 16.2mm

2014: 58.0mm

2013: 34.0mm

2012: 98.4mm

2011: 2.4mm

Edited by B87

Posted

Here in the Lake District, the drier quarter of the year tends to be mid Feb to mid May, just a couple of weeks left!...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

In London, it is typically driest in terms of precip amounts from Feb to April at Heathrow, although at the old Greenwich station, July was the driest month of the year.

I would have thought it would be wetter there with a higher chance of thunderstorms vs Heathrow?