Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Would love to experience a June like 1982

Sunny76

Posted

Ok, so it wasn’t a good summer month, but it did start off quite hot, and the month was one of the most thundery for many years.

Does anyone remember this month, and was it warmer compared to 1980 and 1981? 

I have vague memories of some hot weather at that time, more so than thunderstorms in London. 

Edited by Sunny76
Change the title

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

i remember it being very Thundery indeed probably the most thundery month i have experienced in the UK..don't remember it being particularly hot..do remember a sports day at school or was it an inter schools athletics competition being very warm and sunny followed by some spectacular storms overnight with incredible amounts of lightning that was nearly non stop..im sure that was around June 21st or thereabouts 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

would love a not too hot june and plenty of thunder! wow. 

What i don't want is 40c days like last year. And all i got after was a couple of claps from a storm that developed over head. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Looked like normal temperatures but very wet. Cloudy though with only 182 hours.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Extremes!

That year I was recovering from chickenpox.

The month began with a memorable plume with intense thunderstorms moving northwards. The rest of the summer was poor.

Edited by senior ridge

Posted
11 hours ago, senior ridge said:

That year I was recovering from chickenpox.

The month began with a memorable plume with intense thunderstorms moving northwards. The rest of the summer was poor.

Warmer than 1980 and 81, but poor compared to 83, 84 and 89.

1982 was an El Niño year also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

In June 82 i was working as a assistant greenkeeper at my local golf club, i do remember while working there there was a tremendous thunderstorm with frequent fork lightning, not best place to be in a storm.!!! Not sure of the exact date but i think it was towards the end of june.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I doubt I would have enjoyed that month up in the North East with its high frequency of easterly winds - just 0.3 hours of sunshine at Newcastle from the 17th to 26th inclusive!  That said, it did start off hot, thundery and fairly sunny in the North East, before degenerating into grey easterlies.  Down south it was a different story, very thundery and rather warm but still rather on the cloudy side after a sunny-ish start.  I recall looking through the Climatological Observers Link data for June 1982 a little while ago and being staggered by the thunder frequency in East Anglia and the south-east in particular - some locations had 11 to 13 thunder-days.

June 1966 is another warm thundery June that sticks out for me, not quite as thundery in the south-east but more so in the north - even in the Scottish Lowlands there were 5 to 8 thunder-days quite widely, and locally in the SE there were around 10 thunder-days.  Thunderstorms broke out widely on most days from the 13th to 23rd inclusive.  The main snag was that it was duller than June 1982 in the north, indeed the dullest June on record in Scotland, due to a high frequency of grey murky south-westerlies in between the thundery spells, although around London sunshine was near to slightly above average.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers