Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got this about 15-20 minutes ago from the London cell. I'm very shocked I got this.

Timing is key for Thursday - we've mentioned before how both the phasing and shape/characteristics of the mid/upper level trough will ultimately determine how many thunderstorms (if any) develop. Mode

My sister got this great pic from leith hill tower 

Posted Images

Just now, Mitch perrott said:

where? i have not detected any lightning on the radar yet

Adleburgh, East Anglia.

Can’t help but crack up that the first strike happened literally metres off of the east coast ?

A new AcCas field has developed to my W/NW as members have already said, there’s a few more hours to go. And notwithstanding the fact much of any action is forecast to be elevated, it is very warm and humid out!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Harry said:

Can’t help but crack up that the first strike happened literally metres off of the east coast ?

A new AcCas field has developed to my W/NW as members have already said, there’s a few more hours to go. And notwithstanding the fact much of any action is forecast to be elevated, it is very warm and humid out!

It for sure doesn't feel like May outside that's for sure.

I think that may well be our lot! 

I decided not to go out. Had a quick look at the radar and it wasn’t appealing enough. 

I bet the Low Countries will be lighting up like it’s christmas soon however. We needed that trough to have still been over Wales and Cornwall for initiation further west. It’s came through too quick, that’s the bottom line! 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Adleburgh, East Anglia.

10 miles away from me, didn’t hear a thing ? we had two minutes of rain, sun came back out, big clouds building again.

• Sad 1

I have to say I'm quite fortunate to be a car driver and live in Kent. Plenty of chances most years to drive down to the south Kent coast and watch a few meaty French imports clip Kent. 

Possibilities down here tonight but they may sneak up the channel or into Belgium instead.

• Like 1

Dont hold your breath about tonight, most if not all models backed away from that now.

Yawnfest for the next few weeks as well

I did warn you all at the end of April it will be abysmal in the Uk this year

1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Dont hold your breath about tonight, most if not all models backed away from that now.

Rain would be nice though...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep... No breath holding here but have a free evening night so it would be nice. Estofex have it trundling into the low countries but who knows. 

Yep

0.01mm since May 1st here and looks like it could stay dry until June

Could be a near record breaker on the way

6 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Are we not still expecting a possible break of the cap if temps manage to exceed 26°?

Only really in the 10-13z period, after that there's too much mid-level capping

• Like 1

I'm not seeing much interest on the models this morning regarding tonights thunderstorm risk. A few models develop storms as the upper trough moves across eastern East Anglia but most develop nothing, it'll probably be a case of storms firing off the coast and little excitement over land, again. 

Two storm busts in the same 24hr period, that really does take the proverbial biscuit!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I'm not seeing much interest on the models this morning regarding tonights thunderstorm risk. A few models develop storms as the upper trough moves across eastern East Anglia but most develop nothing, it'll probably be a case of storms firing off the coast and little excitement over land, again. 

Two storm busts in the same 24hr period, that really does take the proverbial biscuit!

yeah.... nature doesnt like the uk haha , what would you say the probability of ramsgate getting a storm tonight?

3 minutes ago, Mitch perrott said:

yeah.... nature doesnt like the uk haha , what would you say the probability of ramsgate getting a storm tonight?

Slim.. 

The UKV develops a few isolated storms across N Kent but most models aren't overly interested in that

there was a bunch of Lightning detected across North Norfolk but the radar really is showing that deep convection very well. is it cause its elevated convection?  

ScreenShot-2019-11-16 14_00_00.jpg

map background 2.jpg

Posted (edited)

Talk about a disappointment from the UK Weather! Hopefully we will have better luck next time. It's awful to think we could have been having something like this:

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 08.00.46.png

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 08.00.37.png

Edited by Thunder and Lightning
  • Like 1