Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Haha, I'm not even looking at the radar at the moment (although I know your comment was not direct at me). I think Thunder And Lightning was commenting more on the size of the storm image an comparing it to a supercell. Out of interest though, what are the telltale signs on a supercell radar signature? I'd like to know a bit more about this and be able to spot them more easily on radar on the rare occurrences they do show up in this country.

Will attach a few from my chasing last season, sometimes I save the GRLevel3 data when I do a blog write up and include the signatures in there so give me a few mins

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Squall just went through here as heavy rain, then re electrified just as it left. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Nah its ok not picking on you but with a lack of Doplar Radar its always going to be difficult to assertain a Supercell in the Uk from radar alone. 

Thanks! I don't understand why the Met Office don't release Doppler data to the public, even if you have to pay?

Edited by Thunder and Lightning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Everythings a Supercell

You guys do know whats needed to actually make a Supercell ?? 

Seriously not everything is a supercell because it has a white core on radar

LOL! Anything with a flash of lightning and a small hail core is a supercell. 

Vertical & rotational wind shear isn't even close to being strong enough for an MCS, let alone a supercell storm. These are your bog standard, ordinary thundery showers. The storms that developed across CS Eng/SE England were thanks to a convergence line moving eastwards, largely missed by models yesterday though was evident on this mornings UKV.

CONV.thumb.png.492d47bc53d2e2e6a94655412fec9f2d.png

The line across the SE is now moving away so activity will largely die here away from the odd few showers. The next area of interest is now eastern England with evidence on the radar of the convergence line beginning to develop here now as expected. 

455963870_Screenshot2020-05-01at16_05_42.thumb.png.e6746f05a15982cafef159e4d2472610.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
10 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Everythings a Supercell

A sustained rotating updraught?  Unless you see something really obvious from reflectivity id guess you can't tell if theirs rotation without doppler radar. An isolated juicy looking cell alone isn't going to always be one . You also can't tell based on lightning, their seems to be an assumption that any storm with prolific lightning rates is a supercell (no thanks to the uk press). Thirdly the size of the storm is not a good indication of a supercell either. 

Having said that you don't need massive amounts of CAPE given enough shear either? I always wonder how many low top supercells we get in the UK that go unnoticed. 

Edited by John90
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Will attach a few from my chasing last season, sometimes I save the GRLevel3 data when I do a blog write up and include the signatures in there so give me a few mins

Thank you Paul, that will be awesome!

Posted

Whelp, despite looking amazing, was a bit of a damp squib, wind picked up slightly once the wall-looking cloud passed directly over head, and there's a bit of a light shower going on. Maybe Ashbourne/Derby will have better luck with it as it's heading in that direction.

236190599_IMG_20200501_1552084641.thumb.jpg.eccba51e87e32f9201654116e5d5dd5c.jpg1254991755_IMG_20200501_1555042371.thumb.jpg.63e6314be4e709c506b64163fdc59675.jpg

167002938_IMG_20200501_1556503801.thumb.jpg.9b028d0974f805907552f846c3b16a78.jpg565739903_IMG_20200501_1557345821.thumb.jpg.6378d53894655584c8ecc211898cd351.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
14 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Everythings a Supercell

Glad you said it, because I was going to if not 

They're so rare in the UK, not even sure when we last had one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

These looked quite awesome earlier.

IMG_1610[1].JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

I think most people in the thread know what we've had today isn't supercellular but just on appearance alone some cells have looked similar from a artistic point of view (does that make sense?). Like the one over the coast I commented on earlier! But yes, I'd really like to know some telltale signs to look for on radar to better understand how to spot supercells.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

London superell! I don't remember that! When was it?

28th May 2018.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

I think most people in the thread know what we've had today isn't supercellular but just on appearance alone some cells have looked similar from a artistic point of view (does that make sense?). Like the one over the coast I commented on earlier! But yes, I'd really like to know some telltale signs to look for on radar to better understand how to spot supercells.

There are of course the classic things like hook echos and V notches, BWER and so on, but in the UK most of the time these characteristics just appear on cells which are not supercells by coincidence.

• Like 1

Posted

Okay so this was a Risk in the Texas Panhandle last Season where we saw a Tornado at Sunset.

Picture 1 is from the Baron System which does not have a great Resolution more like the Uk Radar - White Brick is my car/Position

Picture 2 is from GRLevel3 which shows Dopplar Radar and better resolution again the white circle is my position

Picture 3 is showing the Velocities 

Picture 4 is showing what was in front of us

As you can see we need much better radar to call Supercells from radar alone

IMG_20190523_215338.jpg

IMG_20190523_210557.jpg

IMG_20190523_210555.jpg

IMG_20190523_204741.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

28th May 2018. 

Thanks! Do you have any radar images, damage images to hand? I remember 2018 being a good year but I can't remember there being a supercell.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Another time lapse of a near miss. Lovely structure

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Thanks! Do you have any radar images, damage images to hand? I remember 2018 being a good year but I can't remember there being a supercell.

We were commenting on it in the storms and discussion thread on the site so it's probably archived somewhere. At least I think that's the date anyway. I did find this footage, not sure if this is the same storm as the confirmed supercell but it looks similar with it's constant strobe lighting...

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 3

Posted

We were commenting on it in the storms and discussion thread on the site so it's probably archived somewhere.

Thanks again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
18 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I’ve seen a few storms today but no persistent rotating updrafts lol. So no supercells here but great storm structures today and wouldn’t rule out a brief funnel or two 

Posted

But if you want a beast of a Radar Representation then what about this - May 9th 2016 the Sulpur (Ok) EF3 Tornadic Supercell after the Katie EF4

This is about as classic as it gets for a Tornadic Supercell Signature - Gave this Mile Wide Tornado a wide berth for obvious reasons

IMG_2518.JPG

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

But if you want a beast of a Radar Representation then what about this - May 9th 2016 the Sulpur (Ok) EF3 Tornadic Supercell after the Katie EF4

This is about as classic as it gets for a Tornadic Supercell Signature - Gave this Mile Wide Tornado a wide berth for obvious reasons

IMG_2518.JPG

Yes, I see that classic hook.

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

IMG_2518.JPG

Didn't that tornado have mobile Doppler measurements of 218mph., but was only rated high end EF3 because it only hit structures not at peak intensity?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Nothing much happening here now but the sky still looks interesting 

01BE0196-1BC6-499C-BAFF-16234CC32CAB.jpeg

• Like 1