Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Home and Dry just given me a notif saying there's lightning 9 miles away. This one snuck up on me!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got this about 15-20 minutes ago from the London cell. I'm very shocked I got this.

Timing is key for Thursday - we've mentioned before how both the phasing and shape/characteristics of the mid/upper level trough will ultimately determine how many thunderstorms (if any) develop. Mode

My sister got this great pic from leith hill tower 

Posted Images

Well finally heard a rumble here, just as the last storm was leaving, it decided to spark up. Think something else is on the way, wonder what it'll do. 

By the way the rain was very heavy. 

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, KentHC_WX said:

The drought continues here. Little shower enough to wet the ground but not measurable.

We had a 10 minute deluge in Gravesend, garden was bone dry again within an hour

Few Intracloud strikes picked up from the IOSSC's lightning detector in Sheerness.

image.png

1 hour ago, matt111 said:

You can clearly see the line of storms on lightningmaps. Those areas have got very lucky this afternoon. 

DF17836F-5F28-43D9-83EA-5AC146A939F7.jpeg

That's pretty much the South Downs Ridge effect that gives anyone going into Gatwick a bit of fun.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Here are the videos, unfortunately they don't contain thunder or lightning which is quite disappointing as the first video was the storm that came over to me at Hothfield and literally a few seconds after that it had quite good amount of lighting and thunder but as i said earlier i was getting pounded by rain and didn't have waterproof clothing on so i couldn't record that much.

The second video was when the second wave came over and again, no thunder or lighting but good amount of rain. I know these aren't fantastic videos but maybe they're good enough for some relaxation or something.

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Anyone know what the MUCAPE possibility is for the SE corner on Wednesday night? Looks like a heavy area of rain moving SEwards into the region over the night hours and usually this is a good track for us (if there’s any storm potential)

Will that include East Anglia?  I'm presuming that you're referring to the south-east when you refer to "the region".

5 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Anyone know what the MUCAPE possibility is for the SE corner on Wednesday night? Looks like a heavy area of rain moving SEwards into the region over the night hours and usually this is a good track for us (if there’s any storm potential)

NMM modelling 100-300j/kg surface-based whereas GFS having none of it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Weakening fronts under high pressure will just amount to cloud.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Anyone know the best lightning detector to use? As net weather is picking up lots of strikes and blitzortung and lightning maps aren't picking up any thing. I wonder if the net weather ones are false

Edited by Charlie Harnett
14 minutes ago, Charlie Harnett said:

Anyone know the best lightning detector to use? As net weather is picking up lots of strikes and blitzortung and lightning maps aren't picking up any thing. I wonder if the net weather ones are false

They're false as there's nothing happening where those are showing. 

15 minutes ago, Charlie Harnett said:

I’ve got the yellow one (lightning alarm?) and a blue one (both of these are apps) and they tend to show a lot more than blitzortung does ?

7 minutes ago, Charlie Harnett said:

Wonder why there is so many false ones showing

Seems to happen a lot but they often appear on different sites at different times.