Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted

Showing lightning in North Devon and even Wales (near Swansea) now

WWW.LIGHTNINGMAPS.ORG

See lightning strikes in real time across the planet. Free access to maps of former thunderstorms. By Blitzortung.org and contributors.

Looks like it's trying to form a squall line all the way up to North Wales o_O

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
3 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Showing lightning in North Devon and even Wales (near Swansea) now

WWW.LIGHTNINGMAPS.ORG

See lightning strikes in real time across the planet. Free access to maps of former thunderstorms. By Blitzortung.org and contributors.

Looks like it's trying to form a squall line all the way up to North Wales o_O

Indeed, just observed a couple of distant flashes here over the far east of Bristol! Glad I didn't chase now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Suddenly plenty going on in the Bristol Channel

Posted
porthcawl-lower-wht-e1465551246518.png
WWW.PORTHCAWL-LIFEBOAT.CO.UK

Adjusted for British Summer Time when applicable around the UK and Ireland coast each year. Know what to do: #RespectTheWater at Porthcawl in 2016...

Flashes Visible, sort of  (unfortunately, they replaced the awesome cam view with a 'programmed moving/zooming' one  

Posted
Just now, TJS1998Tom said:

These lot must be getting a nice light show  

image.png

I am pretty certain that band of storms was not forecast for anywhere near Wales or western england!!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, shaky said:

I am pretty certain that band of storms was not forecast for anywhere near Wales or western england!!

I don't think they were either to my knowledge from looking at posts on here, think a few Models showed storms and rain starting further South East. It'll be interesting to see how the day pans out 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wow! Amazing huge storm going on here!

Storm 2 of the summer !!!

Edited by Marcus_surfer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well, this wasn’t expected! 

The front, which I assume this is I’m sure wasn’t forecasted to be electrified I believe, and the main activity was meant to start just ahead of it in the form of single/multicells. 

An early surprise! One to keep an eye on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Well, this wasn’t expected! 

The front, which I assume this is I’m sure wasn’t forecasted to be electrified I believe, and the main activity was meant to start just ahead of it in the form of single/multicells. 

An early surprise! One to keep an eye on. 

The cold front is still over eastern ireland i think!!storms have erupted over wales ahead of it which was not forecasted at all!!

• Like 1

Posted

I was intending on sleeping but seeing those storms come out of nowhere is enough for me to pull an  all nighter just incase, if nothing else I'll be resetting my sleeping pattern haha. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

All in all I must admit was a half decent lightning display. Went to a close little vantage point of mine and saw around 20 flashes including a number of purple cg's so I'm well chuffed. Could begin to make out an anvil too just before I left to come home!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Crystal-clear skies overhead this early am as i've just been out doing some star-trail photography, only to finish all the post-processing before bed and reading up on this line of thundery rain. Brewing the kettle for a long morning  my hope later on is to capture the tops of anything that develops over Norfolk/Lincs way and hope it goes dark quickly enough to have an attempt at photographing the elusive lightning-sprites.

• Like 4

Posted

thought it had ended,. closed up laptop,. went to bed.. but the sky has started to flicker again.. They haven't show up on Blitzortung :S 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

thought it had ended,. closed up laptop,. went to bed.. but the sky has started to flicker again.. They haven't show up on Blitzortung :S 

Must be the elevated storms that were mentioned by some people earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wtf Lightning alarms just gone off all my equipment. What is it doing here. 30 km south-west. It surely must be false. Didn’t have radio on so I have turned it on now. Unusual for it to affect all equipment though if it’s falls even the weather flow

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Wtf Lightning alarms just gone off all my equipment. What is it doing here. 30 km south-west. It surely must be false. Didn’t have radio on so I have turned it on now. Unusual for it to affect all equipment there if it’s falls even the weather flow

I assume for you that would be this lot 

image.png

• Like 1

Posted

This developing line of elevated convection over western Britain is not unsurprising as it had been signalled in most model output, the difficulty is gauging how much lightning it may produce given somewhat weak instability. From the convective forecast:

"Late in the day, showery bursts of rain will spread into W / SW Ireland associated with a cold front. This will continue to track east across Ireland and W Scotland during the evening and night hours, for a time being engaged by a sharpening shortwave approaching from the Atlantic. This may, for a time, increase the potential for some embedded elevated convection, however as the shortwave overruns the cold front the focus will shift to a new corridor of elevated convection that is likely to develop in the vicinity of the Irish Sea / W Britain during the early hours of Thursday - ahead of the cold front. Given rather weak instability, the risk of lightning is considered relatively low but a few isolated lightning strikes may be possible, hence the inclusion of a LOW threat level."

socialmedialogo.png
WWW.CONVECTIVEWEATHER.CO.UK

Forecasting thunderstorms and severe convective weather across the British Isles and Ireland for up to the next 5 days.

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1