Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 hour ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

My only worry remains that the pressure lies very high throughout Thursday (~1020hPa) and as a result both ICON-EU and ARPEGE not showing any thundery activity at all.

ICON-EU suppressing any convection with pressure exceeding 1022hPa, ARPEGE ~ 1020hPa

NetWx somewhat below 1020hPa hence more widespread thundery activity.

Yes. A strong cap could be the issue to overcome with this one. However, this could lead to a more discrete variety of storms if any areas do manage to break the capping. This would at least make for an easier chase. 

There’s still chopping and changing happening with every run at the moment, and the risk as it stands if anything has nudged south slightly. 

Still a long way to go. Tomorrow night will answer a lot more questions! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
20 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Yes. A strong cap could be the issue to overcome with this one. However, this could lead to a more discrete variety of storms if any areas do manage to break the capping. This would at least make for an easier chase. 

There’s still chopping and changing happening with every run at the moment, and the risk as it stands if anything has nudged south slightly. 

Still a long way to go. Tomorrow night will answer a lot more questions! 

I disagree. I don't think that there is much of a cap as you can see in this sounding from SE England, as well as the CIN chart at 15:00 on Thursday. There is also a large trough which should increase the general forcing and make sure that capping isn't so much of an issue.

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 06.16.36.png

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 07.35.39.png

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 07.38.12.png

Edited by Thunder and Lightning
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

I disagree. I don't think that there is much of a cap as you can see in this sounding from SE England, as well as the CIN chart at 15:00 on Thursday. There is also a large trough which should increase the general forcing and make sure that capping isn't so much of an issue.

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 06.16.36.png

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 07.35.39.png

Screenshot 2020-05-19 at 07.38.12.png

I hope you’re correct. 

Anyone remember the infamous El Gordo bust in June 2011? All the conditions seemed to be in place, but barely anything fired due to  excessive cloud cover and a stronger than expected cap. 

Hopefully we get off to a very clear start from 5-6AM to get those temps and Dew points skyrocketing. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I hope you’re correct. 

Anyone remember the infamous El Gordo bust in June 2011? All the conditions seemed to be in place, but barely anything fired due to  excessive cloud cover and a stronger than expected cap. 

Hopefully we get off to a very clear start from 5-6AM to get those temps and Dew points skyrocketing. 

I remember it well. I travelled down into the south-east and stationed myself in Essex. Waited and waited, nothing happened and so I headed home in the early hours of the following morning. A couple of hours later all hell broke loose and the following morning was quite stormy in the south-east if I remember correctly. I remember being proper annoyed

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I remember it well. I travelled down into the south-east and stationed myself in Essex. Waited and waited, nothing happened and so I headed home in the early hours of the following morning. A couple of hours later all hell broke loose and the following morning was quite stormy in the south-east if I remember correctly. I remember being proper annoyed

It sure was painful. A few elevated storms did fire up in the morning, but they were mainly shrouded above North Sea muck piling in on a nagging NE wind! 

I think most of the stuff erupted over Belgium, and ended up seeing a derecho type storm, heading on into the Netherlands. Very frustrating! The beginning of August 2013 was also similar I believe. Not forgetting June 19th 2013 too. That was a huge disappointment!! A big MCS moving out of France looked bang on course to hit London, only then to turn about 60 degrees right and slice through the Strait of Dover and miss us completely!!! 10 hours later, it was in Kiel and Hamburg giving a strobe lighting show! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted

I don't know why but I much prefer to have a severe storm with good structure and more intense weather than a lightning show, so I am hoping that the elevated morning thunderstorms do not develop and 'ruin' the environment. 

Edited by Thunder and Lightning
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I only really use Ventusky at the moment (due to time contstraints) but this is predicting activity to break out from about 8am (hush hour on the roads) which is no good for me cos I’ll be on the way to work

If it started a few hours earlier - say 4am - that would be perfect, also I’ll be headed NE into NE London, plus would be a chance skies could clear by early afternoon and set us up for a round 2 over London and southern parts of Essex

A99CAC61-07FA-460B-9FE1-BC381409EA2B.png

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Timing is key for Thursday - we've mentioned before how both the phasing and shape/characteristics of the mid/upper level trough will ultimately determine how many thunderstorms (if any) develop. Models are handling this trough slightly differently, including between runs of the same model. The overall picture is we have an upper ridge (red dashed line) over the British Isles for the next couple of days, this shunts eastwards as the upper trough (blue-dashed, quite a narrow / sharp feature) slides in from the Atlantic, but is quickly followed by another upper ridge. This means there will be a relatively small window of a few hours where the upper trough will be in a favourable position, before profiles become heavily subsided as the second ridge builds from the west. 

NetWx4.thumb.png.b05b4964d771d83884a96502c5486161.png

The 4 panel below, of 500mb relative humidity, highlights the differences between each model, and indeed between runs of the same model (ARPEGE etc) with the handling of this trough. Notice how the 00z ARPEGE is way quicker with the trough than it's previous 12z run, and while both the 00z ECMWF and GFS have similar timings for the trough axis, they do have subtle differences in the shape of it. There has been a trend though for this trough to approach slightly faster than previous runs, and this is something to bear in mind if this trend continues (this ultimately shifts the area where storms may develop gradually eastwards). Notice also the marked mid-level dry intrusion (very low RH) immediately to the rear of the trough.

Thank you as ever for the fantastically informative and educational update @staplehurst - much appreciated!

I personally am just looking forward to the heat, some humidity and threat of stormy weather. If current thinking (eg the current D4 convective outlook) materialises, chances are I’ll be staring up the rump of developing storms as they develop overhead and grow more upscale towards Essex and EA region - possibly some rumbles but more likely some stunning cloudscapes to my N/NE. This thing happens an awful lot in this neck of the woods (London/Kent borders)

68F882C8-E1CF-4482-A365-3492450A0836.jpeg

C6145174-1E4E-4CF1-9A86-E0159C5585AC.jpeg

5F566CBB-852F-43AE-9789-3285DEDA4E73.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Yep great Forecast there Dan and really goes into detail about timings etc

But this is the Uk and if it can go wrong it WILL go wrong

MCS it is then after early Elevated Storms congeal and move North East - Hahaha

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep great Forecast there Dan and really goes into detail about timings etc

But this is the Uk and if it can go wrong it WILL go wrong

MCS it is then after early Elevated Storms congeal and move North East - Hahaha

You know the annoying thing is, if this were the U.S. you could easily shift the risk areas 50-100 miles east-west and no-one would notice. Being a relatively small island surrounded by water means (surface-based) storms either happen or don't, rather than just shifting the risk to the east - there's no happy medium. Frustrating to say the least! 

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Well, that's Thursday booked as leave from work. Might be hitting the road early and home by mid-afternoon looking at the timings! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
3 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

I hope you’re correct. 

I may have faint memories of that.

Why was it named El Gordo anyway?

Posted
19 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

You know the annoying thing is, if this were the U.S. you could easily shift the risk areas 50-100 miles east-west and no-one would notice. Being a relatively small island surrounded by water means (surface-based) storms either happen or don't, rather than just shifting the risk to the east - there's no happy medium. Frustrating to say the least! 

Yh exactly its all about landmass and lack of it. The Elevated Storms we would not even bat an eyelid at whilst asleep at the hotel and we would be awaiting the time to recover for surface based storms in the Afternoon area probably with an Outflow Boundary left over from the Elevated Storms that would have raced off as an MCS. Ah well even a Cg at this stage would do me.

Will Message you on Fb to see if your out playing anyway Mr Hollybobs

• Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Thanks for your detailed insight Dan for Thursday, indeed, timing of the passage of the upper trough not ideal, need it to be delayed a little more to realize best potential.

Nonetheless, 06z UKV still developing some lively cells through the morning across SE England before clearing NE over E Anglia into early afternoon, maybe elevated storms though, given trough moves through before peak heating

viewimage-45.thumb.png.46395c27d0ff864e8a3aabff272b7a50.pngviewimage-47.thumb.png.c038c848ae50248f37afddc644c02e0d.png

viewimage-46.thumb.png.c022f4cee4ee11928daa326a8ee6faef.png

Some reasonable deep layer shear coming into play from the west which may organise storms to increase hail threat into the afternoon. 

viewimage-48.thumb.png.9fff25341da285f1a66f438183c484c8.png

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Thanks for your detailed insight Dan for Thursday, indeed, timing of the passage of the upper trough not ideal, need it to be delayed a little more to realize best potential.

Nonetheless, 06z UKV still developing some lively cells through the morning across SE England before clearing NE over E Anglia into early afternoon, maybe elevated storms though, given trough moves through before peak heating

viewimage-45.thumb.png.46395c27d0ff864e8a3aabff272b7a50.pngviewimage-47.thumb.png.c038c848ae50248f37afddc644c02e0d.png

Some reasonable deep layer shear coming into play from the west which may organise storms to increase hail threat into the afternoon. 

The (presumably) storms breaking out across N France/IoW on the 12z there Nick suggest something potentially more widespread. Number of models have been suggesting initiation inland from say London/Reading then moving generally NE/NNE. If that model were to verify however it could bring more areas of the SE quarter into play - fingers crossed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

looks like i might get some good pictures from the tailend of the storm

• Like 2

Posted

We all need to wait until the actual day and then start getting fully ready, as a lot matters on timing as other people pointed out. I'm personally hoping the trough is slower than expected so that there is a higher chance of surface based storms, but I hope you get some great pictures either way!

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Interesting thing i see on these charts are the highest cape is much further west compared to where the precipitation develops!how does that work?highest cape is central southern england and into central east midlands!!

Posted

Looking more and more like an early start for chasing. 6z to 12z Madness. Anything for a Cg though. Early night Wednesday for me and up and out early Thursday

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well we are well out of the firing line here and even if weren't nothing would happen Local forecast light showers if we are lucky.

Posted

Noting all the comments re morning storms. I am so storm starved I’ll take anything I can get right now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hail, tornado, cloud
Just now, Harry said:

Noting all the comments re morning storms. I am so storm starved I’ll take anything I can get right now

Haha I’m with you on this. Morning or evening if it’s good enough I’m in it!!! 

• Like 1