Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

Does anyone know if I am in a good position actually? I might be a bit worried that the storms might just slide to the east of me.

I think you are in the best place possible!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Very tempted to book Thursday off work and take a drive to the other side of London  Only a couple of hours away with the current emptier roads. Is East England good for chasing? Nice and flat obviously, but where are the best vantage points?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I’m fishing in Broxbourne on Thursday so a good storm would be great

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
48 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The M11 would be a decent road to aim for. Then you have a few options around Cambridge to split East up the A11 toward Norwich, or the A10 up past Ely towards Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. Or carry on up the A14/A1 for Peterborough into Lincolnshire. It’ll be a morning of intense radar observation, as these could well be fast movers, so decision making will be quite important! 

I’ll be preparing a full tank, although I shouldn’t need to chase too far seen as I’m seemingly slap bang under the lot!

This is now beginning to get very interesting. A good combination of high instability overlapped with decent wind shear! 

Another positive, fuel is very cheap at the moment! Take advantage while you can! 

Thanks for info! I've never actually been anywhere North of London/East Anglia & Lincolnshire so will definitely be a new experience and this will come very handy!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, strong winds

Is it all gonna miss London then as usual?  

Edited by Oliver Wyndham-lewis

Posted
8 minutes ago, Oliver Wyndham-lewis said:

Is it all gonna miss London then?  

Judging by the latest NetWx 12z run definitely a slight westward shift in instability and precipitation. Looking like an M4 Corridor northwards event again, so potentially Oliver!

MR.pngMR Precip.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Thanks for info! I've never actually been anywhere North of London/East Anglia & Lincolnshire so will definitely be a new experience and this will come very handy!

Northern Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk and Lincolnshire is very flat. On a decent convective day, it is like our very own Kansas or Nebraska!

Probably one of the best areas in the country for capturing decent cloudscapes and unrestricted views. I’ve even been able to make out lightning as far as Wiltshire and the IOW from my bedroom window before. Back in 2014. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Judging by the latest NetWx 12z run definitely a slight westward shift in instability and precipitation. Looking like an M4 Corridor northwards event again, so potentially Oliver!

MR.pngMR Precip.png

Holy crap that gives me a direct hit!!i will be happy if at the very least the 12z shows the exact same as the 06z!!no eastward shift please!!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Northern Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk and Lincolnshire is very flat. On a decent convective day, it is like our very own Kansas or Nebraska!

Probably one of the best areas in the country for capturing decent cloudscapes and unrestricted views. I’ve even been able to make out lightning as far as Wiltshire and the IOW from my bedroom window before. Back in 2014. 

Best part about where I live is I've seen lightning from storms at Peterborough and Hull when they've occurred at night, hopefully Thursday should be good

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe
1 hour ago, lancem said:

Very tempted to book Thursday off work and take a drive to the other side of London  Only a couple of hours away with the current emptier roads. Is East England good for chasing? Nice and flat obviously, but where are the best vantage points?

Hey Ian,

Alexander Palace is a great vantage point in North London, along with the Walthamstow Marshes area in the North East. The marshes more if you're looking East rather than across the city-scape. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

The M11 would be a decent road to aim for. Then you have a few options around Cambridge to split East up the A11 toward Norwich, or the A10 up past Ely towards Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. Or carry on up the A14/A1 for Peterborough into Lincolnshire. It’ll be a morning of intense radar observation, as these could well be fast movers, so decision making will be quite important! 

I’ll be preparing a full tank, although I shouldn’t need to chase too far seen as I’m seemingly slap bang under the lot!

This is now beginning to get very interesting. A good combination of high instability overlapped with decent wind shear! 

Another positive, fuel is very cheap at the moment! Take advantage while you can! 

Just stick shell in, sorted

Posted
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Obviously I really appreciate Nick's storm forecasts here on Netweather but for my general in-experience my rule of thumb is to only go storm chasing if Dan on ConvectiveWeather issues a Moderate particularly if the area of storms is over the East of the UK. If everything stays together I'm very tempted to make the drive down the M4 and stop off at my Uni house before deciding on next move.

Go for it if it all comes together, l think it is a case of nowcasting on the day and radar watching.  Too far south/south east for daughter and I to go storm chasing.  However I have been blessed with two storms already this year. Hope some members somewhere get a good fix before the week is out. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
12 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

Hey Ian,

Alexander Palace is a great vantage point in North London, along with the Walthamstow Marshes area in the North East. The marshes more if you're looking East rather than across the city-scape. 

Good to know, thank you! Thinking I might end up further north than that, but that'll be dependent on the forecasts and outlooks by our experts!

Also, my username did kind of look like it said Ian, so I've changed it...thanks for bringing that to my attention even though you didn't mean to! Haha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Moving from Southampton to Northants has it's advantages it seems!

I'll definitely be chasing Thursday if this holds together.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or does this cloud floating by me at the moment look a bit like some sort of huge anvil..? (Spoiler: sadly, it isn’t)..but could be reality in a few days hehe - loving the eye candy I’ve been seeing on this thread over the last 24 hours, keep it coming!! ⚡

6448F416-CDB8-45E3-9774-34D4CAB6F1BE.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
1 minute ago, TropicThunder said:

Moving from Southampton to Northants has it's advantages it seems!

I'll definitely be chasing Thursday if this holds together.

You've left us on the south coast and could get your reward almost immediately. Not fair....  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, bradleywx said:

Is it just me, or does this cloud floating by me at the moment look a bit like some sort of huge anvil..? (Spoiler: sadly, it isn’t)..but could be reality in a few days hehe - loving the eye candy I’ve been seeing on this thread over the last 24 hours, keep it coming!! ⚡

6448F416-CDB8-45E3-9774-34D4CAB6F1BE.jpeg

Yes! I saw so many of those clouds this morning. At around 11am today there were some cirrus that were EXACTLY in the shape of a cumulonimbus cloud.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

You've left us on the south coast and could get your reward almost immediately. Not fair....  

Fingers crossed lol. 

The last few years it seems like the south gets the heat while the storms usually kick off further north, so hoping I'm in a decent spot now!

I'll miss watching the radar for anything appearing in the Channel when there's a plume though.

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

MR.pngMR Precip.png

I’d be happy with that. Gives at direct hit for both the West and East Midlands. Can’t remember the last time we’ve had a decent storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, TropicThunder said:

Fingers crossed lol. 

The last few years it seems like the south gets the heat while the storms usually kick off further north, so hoping I'm in a decent spot now!

I'll miss watching the radar for anything appearing in the Channel when there's a plume though.

Yes that happens a lot with storms. You're in a better place for snow there than down here too. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

Can’t believe there’s equal measure of excitement and disappointment fully 60 hours before the storms are predicted to develop!

Even modelling in 48 hours time on Wednesday evening will be inaccurate, how often for example is the position of frontal rain wrongly predicted in forecasts at close range!

Wednesday evening should provide interesting skies including AltCas. Nothing will be on the radar until Thursday dawn at the earliest then things could develop quickly, wherever the trough is.

• Like 3

Posted

UKV 15z looking even more impressive but shows that Lincolnshire might well be the best spot! Initiation looks to take place across CS England between 6-9am. Only 66 hours to go!

9am: 920440019_CAPE9.thumb.png.0f7ad7612688f64465568064fd776eab.png323653933_Precip9.thumb.png.a1da262eabcc94a7503fc7ce3c334662.png

12pm: 97506816_CAPE12.thumb.png.884c74b8884be3a2afaefb53e74adcae.png2042714624_Precip12.thumb.png.3d4f68ba4ada04101f5d679613a2f51f.png

3pm: 351302407_CAPE15.thumb.png.5bd3b6054be3b8245080b7d61f18ad04.png1341773074_Precip15.thumb.png.61ed557d0954d8d9213aec6bc868c823.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Can’t believe there’s equal measure of excitement and disappointment fully 60 hours before the storms are predicted to develop!

Even modelling in 48 hours time on Wednesday evening will be inaccurate, how often for example is the position of frontal rain wrongly predicted in forecasts at close range!

Wednesday evening should provide interesting skies including AltCas. Nothing will be on the radar until Thursday dawn at the earliest then things could develop quickly, wherever the trough is.

shame i'm in lockdown in wales as i'm off thurs otherwise I would of chased, as my passat has a full tank of shell derv ready