Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine
1 hour ago, Windblade said:

We've had one shower this morning and have cells passing parallel to us (as always happens).

Southwest view...

20200501_133613.thumb.jpg.d70b08770fc2541ed41113b8916b9204.jpg

Northwest view...

20200501_134708.thumb.jpg.7e824c1457850b371ca41b05c48388e7.jpg

20200501_133631.thumb.jpg.5a1d2d9b974b7d63b49fd76ef32f9836.jpg

And the radar image..

Radar.thumb.jpg.34e8362addfc94508ab196fda45eaf59.jpg

As you can see, this happens Every. Single. Time. Meanwhile my friend in Edenbridge is enjoying the storm of his life. I'm happy for him, but I'm wondering when it's going to be my turn.

I wonder if the Venturi effect caused by London's tall buildings has any influence on organising the cells that pass through(?) That, and the urban heat island effect (?)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Hi all! I hope everyone is fairing well. I managed to go out for a nice long walk today.

A small line of moderate-heavy showers skirted just to my North by a couple of miles or so at one stage. I was able to capture some photos of the leading edge of the band of convection, as well as additional distant convection to my NE. Panasonic LX-15

D0E8B496-101D-4B2F-B776-47D6D37D1170.jpeg

86C0BDB7-A615-4D77-8DC5-FF5D94A518BC.jpeg

500948AB-1010-459C-AE83-CACFFCB80C5E.jpeg

E2B216B3-D5CA-4626-9DEB-E3EF6103FC04.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
13 minutes ago, Xanderp009 said:

the rain is so hard in the distance it looks like a wedge tornado

Yeah, cores can often look like that if they're particularly heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
14 minutes ago, Chris Lea-Alex said:

I wonder if the Venturi effect caused by London's tall buildings has any influence on organising the cells that pass through(?) That, and the urban heat island effect (?)

That's a good question. Thing is we used to get incredible storms here in the 80's, 90's and early 00's. Since then though, everything has gone quiet and storms can be seen on radar passing parallel to us every single time. Even ones seemingly on a direct course either suddenly veer around us, break up before they get here or lose all electrical activity as they pass, then drift over to essex and fire up again.

I've wondered about the heat island effect (although we are right on the border of london and kent so shouldn't be as close to it), but figured the more heat and moisture rising, the better it is for storms as they use it as a fuel source? 

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Convective Weather and Snow
Just now, Windblade said:

That's a good question. Thing is we used to get incredible storms here in the 80's, 90's and early 00's. Since then though, everything has gone quiet and storms can be seen on radar passing parallel to us every single time. Even ones seemingly on a direct course either break up before they get here or lose all electrical activity as they pass, then drift over to essex and fire up again.

I've wondered about the heat island effect (although we are right on the border of london and kent so shouldn't be as close to it), but figured the more heat and moisture rising, the better it is for storms as they use it as a fuel source? 

I have often noticed that dew points tend to decrease significantly over London, so I was wondering if it has something to do with that.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

I have often noticed that dew points tend to decrease significantly over London, so I was wondering if it has something to do with that.

Could be. Not sure why this would have happened in the last 15 or so years though? More buildings/infrastructure gone up possibly? Would the heat coming off those affect it?

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

One more possible thunderstorm i think 16:00 is when temperatures peak but after that i don't think another one will come along but Saturday's sounding like today

Posted

Edenbridge storm just came back to life with a huge bang. Going crazy on radar. My friend confirms it's pretty bad.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
3 minutes ago, Windblade said:

Could be. Not sure why this would have happened in the last 15 or so years though? More buildings/infrastructure gone up possibly? Would the heat coming off those affect it?

Maybe. It is odd though, I can't remember the last time I got hit by a properly good thunderstorm.

Posted

Got this nasty looking thing aiming straight at me

incoming.thumb.jpg.ce73aea937d14ff62d902e84f8c17a62.jpgIncoming2.thumb.jpg.7006159b6551f92866ff3a951d1c6107.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

It looks like it will just pass south of me

Posted
11 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Maybe. It is odd though, I can't remember the last time I got hit by a properly good thunderstorm.

Agreed. The last good one I had was the night of the london supercell a few years back (and even then the supercell didn't pass over me, it was another storm I got later on that night).

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Paul Sherman said:

Everythings a Supercell

You guys do know whats needed to actually make a Supercell ?? 

Seriously not everything is a supercell because it has a white core on radar

Yes don't worry not every storm with a white core is a supercell I was just saying that it reminds me of that sort of look. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

Agreed. The last good one I had was the night of the london supercell a few years back (and even then the supercell didn't pass over me, it was another storm I got later on that night).

London superell! I don't remember that! When was it?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Everythings a Supercell

You guys do know whats needed to actually make a Supercell ?? 

Seriously not everything is a supercell because it has a white core on radar

Haha, I'm not even looking at the radar at the moment (although I know your comment was not directed at me). I think Thunder And Lightning was commenting more on the size of the storm image and comparing it to a supercell. Out of interest though, what are the telltale signs of a supercell radar signature? I'd like to know a bit more about this and be able to spot them more easily on radar on the rare occurrences they do show up in this country.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Yes don't worry not every storm with a white core is a supercell I was just saying that it reminds me of that sort of look. 

Nah its ok not picking on you but with a lack of Doplar Radar its always going to be difficult to assertain a Supercell in the Uk from radar alone. 

• Like 2