Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

FB friends from Eastbourne reported a storm last night, tis typical humph, lol

Just rain. lovely rain.

Edited by Dami
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Looks like there could be some splitting in the Canterbury And it could curl so Ashford could get some lightning again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

Well the rain came at around midnight but I wasn't expecting any sort of electrical activity, though I was hearing large rain drops hitting on my windows, But think positive guys there may have been little electrical activity but the rain is needed (especially here) after the long period of dry weather.

39 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

An interesting post however if you look on XCweather and the surface flow these is zero circulation, the surface flow, which is nationwide a easterly or ENE wind is undercutting the mid level 

Posted

Just been absolutely pelting it down here (easing off now), with what looked like a bit of sleety hail mixed in o_O

Guess I got that rain I was hoping for ;) 

EDIT: There appears to be a secondary rotation point beginning to form just NW of the main rotation point of the little low thing.  If you run the radar animation back and forth you can see it just beginning to curl in on itself  

8b9e1aubh9hepub?preserve_transparency=Fa
WWW.DROPBOX.COM

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Well I am quite pleased how my virtual target area of Eastbourne and areas a bit to the north of there turned out last night. Looks like France still active over the next few days but minimal risk in uk looking at short range models. 

• Like 3

Posted

An animation from the radar overnight and this morning - the rain circulating around a small low this morning, and spot the lightning strikes affecting Kent not long ago too.

• Like 4

Posted

Following on from above - you can see the circulation has been modelled by the Netwx-SR (3km). It's not at the surface, but you can see it from 850hpa up. 

screenshot-www.netweather.tv-2020.04.18-12_04_16.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Regarding that N Kent thundery shower, it must have had some positive strikes since one of them was a good 10 miles away and I could hear it rumbling away. Not really anything exciting though lol. Rain rates of 10.8mm/hr & 4.9 mm of rain from it all.

Edited by KentHC_WX
Additional details
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
16 minutes ago, KentHC_WX said:

Regarding that N Kent thundery shower, it must have had some positive strikes since one of them was a good 10 miles away and I could hear it rumbling away. Not really anything exciting though lol. Rain rates of 10.8mm/hr & 4.9 mm of rain from it all.

Elevated thunderstorms can be heard from very far away according to @LightningLover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Of course there was a lot of talk about the fact it's only April as the risk of anything significant is low but this from a couple of years ago shows what we can get if everything falls into place. This is from 21st April 2018, not my video although the same storm also hit here.  

Edited by matt111
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
12 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

So...when’s our next opportunity dare I ask? 

I find this a good mid-range guide (and they usually update daily )

WWW.METCHECK.COM

Metcheck.com - Weekly Storm Forecast - From 19 April 2020 - Expert meteorologists take a weekly look at thunderstorm potential around the world with maps and in depth...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 18/04/2020 at 10:35, Alderc said:

An interesting post however if you look on XCweather and the surface flow these is zero circulation, the surface flow, which is nationwide a easterly or ENE wind is undercutting the mid level 

We know the whole thing was an upper level feature, a small upper low must have formed, but that would not change the lower wind direction in the slightest. A bit later in the year, and last night would have been mega, for most of us down south. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
11 hours ago, matt111 said:

Of course there was a lot of talk about the fact it's only April as the risk of anything significant is low but this from a couple of years ago shows what we can get if everything falls into place. This is from 21st April 2018, not my video although the same storm also hit here.  

That was a great evening of storms. I lived in Southampton at the time, and I couldn't believe it was April given the warm and humid feel that came with them. Also, the amount of rain the storm at about 10pm dumped on the city was nuts. 

Since that event showed what's possible so early in the year, I've decided that 21st April is the start of 'plume season'.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Just had a look at the WRF-NMM and it is showing some heavy showers/thunderstorms on Friday, mainly for Scotland and N England but it is showing quite a few down south and perhaps some into Wales too. Bare in mind that it is still far away so things will change

Untitled Project (Time 0_00_00;00).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
57 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Just had a look at the WRF-NMM and it is showing some heavy showers/thunderstorms on Friday, mainly for Scotland and N England but it is showing quite a few down south and perhaps some into Wales too. Bare in mind that it is still far away so things will change

Worth keeping an eye on. This is always where the next event will appear first

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
3 hours ago, Zak M said:

Sadly, most of it's gone again on the 6Z...

Posted

I think the output will keep chopping and changing until we are in a reliable timeframe. Still, it’s encouraging to see the possibility of low pressure incoming at the end of the week and into next week. 

• Like 2