Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

To add from Mapantz here is the latest MU CAPE charts for now and midnight tonight for the UK.

The developing showers/storms ahead of the small MCS in SE Devon are within a region of decent CAPE values atm, so there is a chance of them becoming weakly electrified. These CAPE values diminish significantly by midnight particularly from 10pm onwards.

122965891_MUCape.thumb.png.01abb0da9185568ec56804506c5adf2c.png238763107_MUCape12.thumb.png.bc10157c532aa8909d9f0ecc2d99cc98.png

New EURO4 out too but not even worth looking at since it's way out already, but does send quite a potent MCS feature moving into Kent later so you never know

However UKV is almost spot on, though everything is a touch west and south of the latest run.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 4

You can see the bifurcating flow, the cells in Devon are moving just a smidgen west of north while everything further south in more NNE, so as they north they should straighten into a more northerly movement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Almost a constant rumbling of thunder here in Jersey with frequent lightning together with moderate to heavy rainfall 

Edited by Fitzwis
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Not sure if that storm from the Channel will veer just to the East of me in Herne Bay. I’ll let you know the conditions if I get hit by it!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
7 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

To add from Mapantz here is the latest MU CAPE charts for now and midnight tonight for the UK.

The developing showers/storms ahead of the small MCS in SE Devon are within a region of decent CAPE values atm, so there is a chance of them becoming weakly electrified. These CAPE values diminish significantly by midnight particularly from 10pm onwards.

122965891_MUCape.thumb.png.01abb0da9185568ec56804506c5adf2c.png238763107_MUCape12.thumb.png.bc10157c532aa8909d9f0ecc2d99cc98.png

New EURO4 out too but not even worth looking at since it's way out already, but does quite a potent MCS feature moving into Kent later so you never know

UKV almost spot on too however, though everything is a touch west and south of the latest run.

The showers developing across S Devon at the moment ahead of the MCS/potential supercell are becoming quite intense now. The approaching system providing the forcing needed to develop these small, localised showers

52885597_Screenshot2020-04-17at18_52_55.thumb.png.df33f61ef4923261f0c20cd67cdf0cf8.png

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Oooo I just heard A lovely short elevated rumble... Nothing beats the reverberating boom of distant elevated thunder

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Oooo I just heard A lovely short elevated rumble... Nothing beats the reverberating boom of distant elevated thunder

Must have been a +CG - the nearest storm is quite far away!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

*sigh* 

Got some rain if that helps.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
4 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

The showers developing across S Devon at the moment ahead of the MCS/potential supercell are becoming quite intense now. The approaching system providing the forcing needed to develop these small, localised showers

52885597_Screenshot2020-04-17at18_52_55.thumb.png.df33f61ef4923261f0c20cd67cdf0cf8.png

Certainly looks like an MCS but I don't see any indications of an embedded supercell. Maybe the tail end over the islands? 

Edited by John90

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Judging by the cloud heights on Sat24, radar & lightning tracks I think there is a good chance that the areas of storms around Jersey will merge to form a larger (but relatively weak MCS) moving between the Portsmouth to Brighton area between 10pm and midnight.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Interesting sky here too 

6F513B47-CD10-45FB-8B6D-3574CFCB0AB6.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Surprised at that storm in the Channel Islands - formed very quickly with very frequent lightning and only 13-14c temps there.

Edited by Zak M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Judging by the cloud heights on Sat24, radar & lightning tracks I think there is a good chance that the areas of storms around Jersey will merge to form a larger (but relatively weak MCS) moving between the Portsmouth to Brighton area between 10pm and midnight.

If you are correct, I will buy you a (virtual) pint 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

The showers have cleared South London now. I'm encouraged by some towering cumulus moving up from the south. 

• Like 2

Posted

Hmmm nothing electrical is getting into the Channel at the moment - all quite close to the French side (landmass)  I know these are elevated type storms...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

My prediction for tonight, cells to merge in the red then move towards the UK. Some models show air destabilising later over the UK with the UK producing it’s own thunderstorms but looking at radar at the moment, I believe the storms will develop over the channel then head our way 

31B4F046-9EE1-4B93-AFE8-C75EAFFBEB49.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
7 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Surprised at that storm in the Channel Islands - formed very quickly with very frequent lightning and only 13-14c temps there.

It looks quite potent - especially for April!

jers1.thumb.png.ce789a6140aa0e9e50f19ddba5efc90e.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
13 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Must have been a +CG - the nearest storm is quite far away!

Elevated Thunderstorms can be heard from really far away here... the 27-28th May 2017 MCS event was a great example of that

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Lightning activity fizzling out in the storm near Kent. 

Hope that's not a sign of things to come!

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1