Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Will climate change effect tornadoes and thunderstorms within the UK

Will tornadoes become more common in the UK or become more intense with greater wind speeds and larger in size, like they have in the US due to climate change. And will thunderstorms become more frequent and severe as temperatures rise due to climate change?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

there has been no increase in the number tornadoes or their intensity over the last 60 years in the US

EF3-EF5.png

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

A good question @William22. For thunderstorms, I thought that if temperatures rise then we would get more but in my opinion big thunderstorms here are starting to get less frequent as the temperatures start to rise. We will never know.

Edited by Zak M
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zak M said:

A good question @William22. For thunderstorms, I thought that if temperatures rise then we would get more but in my opinion big thunderstorms here are starting to get less common as the temperatures start to rise. We will never know.

Yeah I thought the same as you, it would make sense as temperatures rise more thunderstorms will occur, but we’ll have to wait and see

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Thunder Days have decreased across much of the UK in the past 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Being part of the global 'ground zero' for the formation of 'funnel clouds' (along with Netherlands/N.France/Germany/N.Italy?) I'd be pretty amazed if increasing extremes did not reflect on the size/strength of 'Funnel Clouds' so bringing them closer to producing Tornadoes on the ground?

First I think we will see increases in sightings of Funnel clouds/Water spouts as 'conditions' evolve toward those required for tornadoes to form?

• Thanks 1

Posted

I don't kow if scientists have any way of knowing about an increase in thunder storms caused by climate change..  We live in the effects of previous climate changes far exceeding what is happening now.  The ice age left us the Great Lakes and various phenomena throughout the world.  The movement of the earth's crust moved elephants from the equatorial zone into the polar zone and when the Alaskan pipeline was being put underground in certain areas, fresh frozen elephants were unearthed and attracted multiples of wolves coming for the meat.  So, we inhabitants of the earth know very little about climate change which seems to have been and still is a constant. The Sahara was once an inland sea which is evidenced by ancient ruins along what was its shore.  Certainly there was a huge climate change that accomplished its transition.

Edited by Patrick Degens
changed one word: Earth's skin to earth's crust
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
On 03/04/2020 at 12:07, Gray-Wolf said:

Being part of the global 'ground zero' for the formation of 'funnel clouds' (along with Netherlands/N.France/Germany/N.Italy?) I'd be pretty amazed if increasing extremes did not reflect on the size/strength of 'Funnel Clouds' so bringing them closer to producing Tornadoes on the ground?

First I think we will see increases in sightings of Funnel clouds/Water spouts as 'conditions' evolve toward those required for tornadoes to form?

Whilst it seems easy to make correlations between warmer temps and rainfall (Higher rainfall rates due to increased about of moisture), I understand that its very difficult to make predictions between a warmer climate and frequency/strength of tornadoes. Theres so many complex factors that go into creating tornadoes and supercell thunderstorms.

I read some studies may even suggest the numbers could decrease due to less windshear. More storms but the wrong type of storms. 

• Thanks 1