Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

2002 wasn’t great at all. I remember that August was fairly disappointing even in London. 2001 had some hot weather, but August was a bit hit and miss that year also. 2003 and 2005 were decent Augusts.

May have been better further west, but although the first week was quite thundery, and the closing days were a bit naff, the remainder of the month was very respectable, especially compared to June and July.

Posted

Evening all

Have to say I've enjoyed much of July - pleasantly cool, low humidity and generally useable weather.

Contrary to some, I've enjoyed sitting out most evenings for a while.

On a completely unrelated, the "best" hayfever season I've had for two or three decades. I had three bad weeks in mid-May into early June but from then onward I have hardly sniffed or sneezed let alone had the usual problems of itchy eyes and the rest.

Theories?

The decline in pollution caused by the pandemic - I've long believed pollution exacerbates hay fever as the pollens react with the particulates.

More suitable weather? Possibly - less of that hot, still, humid weather always welcome but I'm less convinced.

A very mild winter causing the grasses to which I'm allergic to sprout early?  - Again, can't rule that out.

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of other grass pollen sufferers. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, B87 said:

I remember Augusts almost always delivered when I was at school. Guaranteed hot spells and sunny most days. Even in the terrible summers of 1998, 2000 and 2002, August always managed to be normal.

Nostalgia bias may be creeping in there. You are far more likely to remember the good summer periods from your childhood because you will likely have more memorable days. Sitting indoors reading a book with the rain lashing down outside is not going to stick in the mind decades later. This is why some older people claim their summers were always hot and sunny, and the winters were always cold and snowy. Nonsense, every winter in the past was not 1962/3 or 1947, and every summer was not 1976, the UK never had a continental climate 50 years ago, they are remembering the memorable periods and have filtered out the dross.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, stodge said:

On a completely unrelated, the "best" hayfever season I've had for two or three decades. 

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of other grass pollen sufferers. 

Mine was also terrible late May and early June. Contrastingly to you it’s now kicked off again this week, probably something to do with grass growing rapidly in warm sunshine after the weekend rain.

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

May have been better further west, but although the first week was quite thundery, and the closing days were a bit naff, the remainder of the month was very respectable, especially compared to June and July.

I remember August 2002 being a decent summer month, following a mediocre June and July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, al78 said:

Nostalgia bias may be creeping in there. You are far more likely to remember the good summer periods from your childhood because you will likely have more memorable days. Sitting indoors reading a book with the rain lashing down outside is not going to stick in the mind decades later. This is why some older people claim their summers were always hot and sunny, and the winters were always cold and snowy. Nonsense, every winter in the past was not 1962/3 or 1947, and every summer was not 1976, the UK never had a continental climate 50 years ago, they are remembering the memorable periods and have filtered out the dross.

Yep, this is 100% true. Older people tend to think all the summers of their childhood were hot and sunny, and winters cold and snowy. There were lots of poor summers and mild winters back then too.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

GFS going for a brief plume at the end of summer into August, some storm potential there.

Just kidding about summer btw.

You swine! Lol

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

Yes you’re right. The 2019/20 winter happened before. 

1974/75 and 75/76 were mild winters. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, al78 said:

The stats confirm it though.

Posted

Fast reaching the tipping point for Summer 2020 I feel, outlook until end of July suggest nothing particularly warm or dry on the horizon, indeed in the main staying cool and cloudy and rather wet especially in the north. That will be 2 poor summer months, and even an exceptional August can't really cancel out a poor June and July. Yes September can still bring decent lengthy warm dry sunny weather, but there is a definate change in the feel of things, most notably loss of light levels.

My hunch was for early summer to bring best conditions, largely due to the exceptional April and May and the fact these conditions would unlikely to hold through the summer as a whole, always wary of very good lengthy dry sunny warm weather in the Spring, omens for summer.. I did expect June to be better than it turned out. Oh dear does this suggest an even worse August to come.. I hope not..

• Like 1

Posted

I love lovely warm summer days, but when it gets to 32C+ and 22C at night I find it horrific. 

I will trade an extreme hot couple of weeks of lovely sun, for a comfortable couple of cloudy or even rainy weeks. 

My 84 year old mum agrees with me lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Fast reaching the tipping point for Summer 2020 I feel, outlook until end of July suggest nothing particularly warm or dry on the horizon, indeed in the main staying cool and cloudy and rather wet especially in the north. That will be 2 poor summer months, and even an exceptional August can't really cancel out a poor June and July. Yes September can still bring decent lengthy warm dry sunny weather, but there is a definate change in the feel of things, most notably loss of light levels.

My hunch was for early summer to bring best conditions, largely due to the exceptional April and May and the fact these conditions would unlikely to hold through the summer as a whole, always wary of very good lengthy dry sunny warm weather in the Spring, omens for summer.. I did expect June to be better than it turned out. Oh dear does this suggest an even worse August to come.. I hope not..

I predict an average August, with one cool and cloudy week to start the month off, then a hot spell between the 15th until the 24th, with some hot days between 29-32c, and some very warm humid nights. Widespread thunderstorms across most of England and Wales towards the end of the hot spell. After the 24th turning much cooler again and very wet. The bank holiday Sunday and Monday will be dry and warm, but with cool evenings.

Thats my August prediction.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Nath said:

I love lovely warm summer days, but when it gets to 32C+ and 22C at night I find it horrific. 

I will trade an extreme hot couple of weeks of lovely sun, for a comfortable couple of cloudy or even rainy weeks. 

My 84 year old mum agrees with me lol

Yes, it's not the daytime heat I have a problem with during heatwaves, it's the warm sultry nights that come with them!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I predict an average August, with one cool and cloudy week to start the month off, then a hot spell between the 15th until the 24th, with some hot days between 29-32c, and some very warm humid nights. Widespread thunderstorms across most of England and Wales towards the end of the hot spell. After the 24th turning much cooler again and very wet. The bank holiday Sunday and Monday will be dry and warm, but with cool evenings.

Thats my August prediction.

I think the month will start off with fairly normal conditions, mid 20s and sunny spells. It will then slowly get worse and worse throughout the month, with plenty of cloudy and wet days. Temps won't get above 27c all month, and sunshine will fail to pass 150 hours in London  - ending a rather pathetic summer 2020.

Posted

This July, even though it has seen more normal conditions the last few days, looks like it'll end up the 4th cloudiest July since 1990. Only 1992, 2007 and 2009 will have been cloudier.

That would also give an excellent opportunity to record the cloudiest summer on record. August would need to record 106 hours to avoid that title, though unless August can achieve 158 hours, summer 2020 will end up joining the top 10 list of cloudiest summers.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Summer 2018 had perfect conditions, many days in the mid-high twenties but nights cooled into the low teens for much of the summer

Edited by CheesepuffScott
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CheesepuffScott said:

Summer 2018 had perfect conditions, many days in the mid-high twenties but nights cooled into the low teens for much of the summer

Summer 2018 was excellent, but I'd be happy with an unremarkable summer like 1996 or 2005. Full of normal summer weather, with the occasional heatwave.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, MP-R said:

Minimum of 10.2C last night. Only one or two nights were warmer than that in winter.

Lovely and sunny, but as mentioned, quite a September feel.

I agree - I thought earlier on it felt September-ish. It was sunny and around 20C so very pleasant, but the poor-ish weather lately makes it feel like the end of the summer's here now after the sunny spring and hot weather at the end of June. It doesn't feel like late July when the average here should easily hit 23C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Mean maximum temperatures have barely risen since April!  I think we're only about 2.5C warmer than April which goes to show how warm April was and how abysmal this July has been.  I remember numerous periods of 23C weather in April and it's struggled to reach that high here at all this July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another very usable day down here. Not the warmest but we do have lengthy sunny spells again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Another nice day here again 19c now and nice and sunny, beach yesterday, beach again today?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

The Midlands northwards has not managed to reach 25C so far this July, and there is nothing in the forecast either. I can't remember the last time we have had a July that failed to reach 25C. Even 2012 had a hot spell that July.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

Mean maximum temperatures have barely risen since April!  I think we're only about 2.5C warmer than April which goes to show how warm April was and how abysmal this July has been.  I remember numerous periods of 23C weather in April and it's struggled to reach that high here at all this July.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. For comparison, this July's average max has been about 4C warmer than April here in Essex. The gap should be about 9C based on long-term averages. Last year the gap between Apr and Jul was 10C; in 2018 it was 13C.

Edited by h2005__uk__
  • Like 2