Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Ironically, Aug 2007 ended up being just as wet here as the months preceding it. Big storm fired up in situ on the 7th and dropped a couple of inches of rain and hail. Never seen anything like that...I'd watched it build overhead for about an hour before the pyrotechnics started.

Found a poor quality vid of it on YouTube

Also found an old article on the flooding it caused

WWW.CHESHIRE-LIVE.CO.UK

A CLEAN-UP operation is under way after torrential rain caused flash floods in parts of Crewe on Monday evening.

and another

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610
WWW.CREWECHRONICLE.CO.UK

FLASH floods turned streets into rivers and sent stinking waste pouring into cellars after torrential rain and thunderstorms hammered Crewe.

Filmed on the finest potato money can buy!

• Like 3

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Roll on my favourite season: Autumn. Barring last year's, that season usually brings us many kinds of weather. Whether it be warm sunny days with cool misty nights, good storms, showers, you name it. 
In the meantime though, let's hope that August ends up being more interesting than this July.

I liked autumn last year. November was really cold, at least here in the south. Frost, Maxima in single figures, it was a welcome change 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
16 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I liked autumn last year. November was really cold, at least here in the south. Frost, Maxima in single figures, it was a welcome change 

You must have been in a microclimate. Autumn last year was a damp clag-fest, the fifth wettest on record. November was below average in temperature but wasn't really cold.

rain-falling-into-water.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Many people in England will remember Autumn 2019 as a very wet season, but this hasn’t been the case across the whole of the UK.

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Euro and GFS essentially in agreement that next week will be somewhat similar to this week however both models show the Azores High withdrawing by day 8 and a cyclonic output thereafter.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Basically summer is over!  i give up on seeing any Blue skies and hot sunshine in north east Wales this year. Time to emigrate to Australia! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
6 minutes ago, NApplewhite said:

Basically summer is over!  i give up on seeing any Blue skies and hot sunshine in north east Wales this year. Time to emigrate to Australia! 

Well wouldn't say summer is over but if you want a summer with heatwaves and plenty of days with glorious sunshine its become clear that this summer wont be it.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, sundog said:

Well wouldn't say summer is over but if you want a summer with heatwaves and plenty of days with glorious sunshine its become clear that this summer wont be it.

To be honest, the kind of summer you describe is not our British summer and I don't think it will ever be. If you expect something like that you set yourself up for disappointment. 

Like someone else has written our small island is neither Dubai nor Siberia. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, NApplewhite said:

That quote is as daft as those made when winter is at a similar stage in terms of days left.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
19 minutes ago, mathematician said:

To be honest, the kind of summer you describe is not our British summer and I don't think it will ever be. If you expect something like that you set yourself up for disappointment. 

True of course but that's what most people on here want when it comes to summer weather which is understandable. 

I'm not a huge fan of summer but even I would say this summer so far has been forgetful. 

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

1 hour ago, al78 said:

You must have been in a microclimate. Autumn last year was a damp clag-fest, the fifth wettest on record. November was below average in temperature but wasn't really cold.

rain-falling-into-water.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Many people in England will remember Autumn 2019 as a very wet season, but this hasn’t been the case across the whole of the UK.

Slightly wetter than avg in the SE but not exactly record breaking here..

November felt cold in London too IMO (relative for the time of year). Temps consistently below avg for 2 weeks.. Not a microclimate.

nov19.thumb.png.664c7abfa438b552f08c3671308b734b.png

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Another way you could look at it and maybe more appropriate given what has happened so far, is when has August being the best month of a poor summer?

1987, 1988?, 1998, 2007, 2012,  maybe others can add to that list

1997, 2000, 2002, 2009, 2016

Posted

I would add in 1991 there, what about 1997?

Another way you could look at it and maybe more appropriate given what has happened so far, is when has August being the best month of a poor summer?

1991 was an ok August but it still had wet days. And I do remember sunny warm periods at the start. It was a poor early summer that year.

1997 I don’t rate at all. It was just a humid smoggy cloud fest. There were some hot days, but it wasn’t a great August.

Posted

I would add in 1991 there, what about 1997?

Yes, 1987 had some hot weather, and thunderstorms. I don’t remember anything about 2007 to be honest. It was such a boring summer. 2012 August was probably the best compared to the other months.

Again, have no recollection of 98, but remember 1988 August for some reason. It was hot for a little while.

Posted
5 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

July last year was much better than this year..and September was better than June and August. Because apart from the last week of June and last week of August they were rather wet months.

2019 was only good during July. August was ok in parts, with some hot or warm sunny days in the beginning and the late August bank holiday was really nice, but apart from that, it wasn’t great.

September was nice for the first half, with plenty of sunshine. The wet weather took over after mid month though.

Posted

August 2019 was warmer and slightly drier than average, and sunnier than July 2019.

August 2008/2010 repeat coming up?

Posted

I'd settle for an actual average August, but the chance of that happening is slim.

Edited by B87

Posted
19 minutes ago, B87 said:

August 2019 was warmer and slightly drier than average, and sunnier than July 2019.

August 2008/2010 repeat coming up?

I think I’ll shoot myself if that happens

Posted
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'd settle for an actual average August, but the chance of that happening is slim.

I still think there’s hopefully a chance of a few hot days in August.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I still think there’s hopefully a chance of a few hot days in August.

Every August has some warm days though, even 2008/2010 did.

Poor Augusts can get 30c as well, like 2011 or 2015. If we get an August like 2011 or 2015, this will have been one of the worst summers since 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, mathematician said:

The only reason why people get so excited about snow and heat/thunderstorms is because of its rarity in the UK. If we had a continental climate we'd get those every year and no-one would bat an eyelid.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Well after my whinge yesterday it’s turned into a cracking day here, kids bugging me for the paddling pool out always a good sign. Also it’s my day off work 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Well it feels more like July today here but still can’t get rid of the cloud. 

Posted

Forecast now looks average at least, but no sign of any heat to make up for the horrible first 2 weeks.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD