Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
43 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Im quite enjoying this cool damp weather. Nice and refreshing. It cant be sunny and hot all the time. This is the Uk, not the Mediterranean. It ll end up being a fairly average summer down here in the SE. Miserable from the Midlands northwards though. 

I can relate to this. I don't like persistent clag in summer but I much prefer 20C to the 32C nonsense we had at the end of June. It is just so much easier to do stuff outside and sleep comfortably at night.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
24 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If we end up having an average month in terms of temperature and sunshine amounts (not saying that will happen) and it doesn't feel like it was, perhaps it's expectations that need altering? 

You have to be careful looking at monthly averages, because they tell you nothing about the internal variability within the month. A summer month that is dry for 29 days in one location then gets a severe thunderstorm on the last day dropping four inches of rain will look like a wet month in the stats, when really it isn't, whereas a month with frequent warm sector clag and drizzle and 40% less sunshine than normal, but an absence of moderate to heavy rain might end up drier than average, but it would be a poor summer month in most peoples eyes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

All these comments about nice cool temps for sleeping - if only I found that so nice. It was 17°C in my apartment and I honestly couldn't sleep because of how cold it was! Was awake til 5AM tossing around trying to warm up. Also I finally caved and put the heating on today. This is the first time in my 33 years that I can ever remember putting on the heating in July. Unprecedented.

On this note it's now 11°C outside at 1PM and we've had the entire month's average rainfall already so this is the worst start to any July in all my records.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

June was warmer than average, although wetter. We are not even half way through summer yet so best to reserve judgement of the seasonal forecasts until after the season has finished.

I think its pretty evident that once the Atlantic attacks up and the jet is angled in such a position.. That it takes a lot to shift it.As for writing off seasonal forecast. YOU CANT DO A SEASON FORECAST IN THE UK.so there is no need to protect it?

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

If we end up having an average month in terms of temperature and sunshine amounts (not saying that will happen) and it doesn't feel like it was, perhaps it's expectations that need altering? 

I think having 1/2 nice days out of July isn't expecting to much

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

47 minutes ago, EMids WeatherWatcher said:

And 200 odd miles to the south blue skies and hot sunshine..so annoyingly close!!

Or to put it another way

1798110538_ScreenHunter_01Jul_0914_19.gif.e2881bc899f321c121b5f47fdf21bd43 (3).gif

Posted

Persistent drizzle here in the Midlands. Just when you think it’s clearing away, it back builds or builds right over you. 

Haven’t seen the sun in days and there hasn’t been a long enough period to dry things out since Monday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Or to put it another way

1798110538_ScreenHunter_01Jul_0914_19.gif.e2881bc899f321c121b5f47fdf21bd43 (3).gif

If you adjust those temps in blue to 11-19 degrees you'd be right for South Yorkshire (though it's not quite fitting on that map).

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 2

Posted

We've had a max today of only 13.7C so far which would make it the joint 3rd coldest July day in 40 years and coldest since July 2004.

This has certainly been a poor spell for the time of year, the last 12 days have had a mean of 14.4C, 48mm of rain and just 15 hours of sunshine. The mean max has been 17.0C and the warmest day was the 4th when it just reached 20.0C.

Also, the summer index for us to the 8th July was 184.4. 2012 finished on 193.6. The 40 year average is 234.0.

Edited by reef
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Probably as dull as it’s been lately today and it feels even cooler than the last few days despite still being quiet humid 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Nick L said:

If the stats say it ends up being an above average month then it will be an above average month.

I think it's the nights that are stealthily keeping the overall temperature close to average. This is the 2nd day in a row of maximum temperatures 6-8C below average for most areas of central England, yet the CET is only -0.4 from average. An example, current temperature (4-5pm is typically peak the time we get max temperatures) is 13C. The overnight "low" was 13C. Would be interested to see the CET broken down by daytime and nighttime temperatures. Daytime maximums have to be running at least 2C below average now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
6 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

I think it's the nights that are stealthily keeping the overall temperature close to average. This is the 2nd day in a row of maximum temperatures 6-8C below average for most areas of central England, yet the CET is only -0.4 from average. An example, current temperature (4-5pm is typically peak the time we get max temperatures) is 13C. The overnight "low" was 13C. Would be interested to see the CET broken down by daytime and nighttime temperatures. Daytime maximums have to be running at least 2C below average now.

Compared to the 1961-1990 average that the Met Office stick to (so the modern anomaly is worse) you are correct in that minima so far are +1.5C however maxima are a stonking -2.2C (so probably close to 3C below the 1981-2010 average).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
39 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Compared to the 1961-1990 average that the Met Office stick to (so the modern anomaly is worse) you are correct in that minima so far are +1.5C however maxima are a stonking -2.2C (so probably close to 3C below the 1981-2010 average).

For context, since 1878 when the record began, only seven Julys finished with a mean maximum below 18C. The opening third of the month looks set be running in the high 17s. Maintaining such suppressed maxima for the entirety of the month will, however, be difficult, and the figure is set to rise a little in the second third of the month if current forecasts are accurate. Will be interesting to keep an eye on this as we move forward, though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Certainly the worst start to July I have experienced here in Dublin. 16.5 hrs of sunshine in 8 days in July is atrocious, really is no getting away from that. I've had December weeks sunnier than that. Have had 45.2mm of rain too with mean max over 2C below avg around 17C. I had low expectations coming into this summer after spring but it still has managed to go below those expectations. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really looking like a very poor summer for those wanting heat, even by my standards this is cool! I suspect though they were spoilt by the last 2 summers, something that can't be said of us who prefer a proper Winter,last of those was 2009!!

• Like 1

Posted

This disgusting July weather rolls on with another day of constant drizzle and only 12.9c. I'm looking forward to the weekend with sunny spells and 16 - 19c highs which are still below average but don't care!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
4 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

Persistent drizzle here in the Midlands. Just when you think it’s clearing away, it back builds or builds right over you. 

Haven’t seen the sun in days and there hasn’t been a long enough period to dry things out since Monday.

I know the feeling, same here in Worcs. Currently 13 °C and barring one or two brief intervals it's been barely any warmer all day with drizzle/light rain the whole way. I honestly don't care, at all, whether the mean temperature is above average or not. Chilly damp days and very mild nights (which can average out to slightly above average) do not a summer make in my book.

The next few days look a bit better, thankfully, especially the weekend. 19 °C and occasional sunny spells is not something you'd expect to get excited about in July -- but right now I'm thrilled at the prospect!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Seems like the nights are rapidly drawing in. Obviously psychological as we've only lost about seven minutes at sunset. 

Posted
7 hours ago, al78 said:

June was warmer than average, although wetter. We are not even half way through summer yet so best to reserve judgement of the seasonal forecasts until after the season has finished.

June may have been warmer than average, but it was on the poor side. Only 7 hot and sunny days, while the rest was mostly cloudy and unsettled.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, al78 said:

I can relate to this. I don't like persistent clag in summer but I much prefer 20C to the 32C nonsense we had at the end of June. It is just so much easier to do stuff outside and sleep comfortably at night.

I was sitting outside today and it felt a little uncomfortable, while trying to keep warm. It doesn’t feel like summer at all.

I like to feel warm. There’s been that odd mix of warm humid cloudy conditions mixed with cool and breezy. Much prefer the sunshine and warm to hot weather.

Posted
6 hours ago, Thundershine said:

All these comments about nice cool temps for sleeping - if only I found that so nice. It was 17°C in my apartment and I honestly couldn't sleep because of how cold it was! Was awake til 5AM tossing around trying to warm up. Also I finally caved and put the heating on today. This is the first time in my 33 years that I can ever remember putting on the heating in July. Unprecedented.

On this note it's now 11°C outside at 1PM and we've had the entire month's average rainfall already so this is the worst start to any July in all my records.

That is poor for July isn’t it. 

I did a hill walk in Eastbourne and the wind was extremely strong and blowy. We knew it would be dodgy going up there because of the low cloud, but this is the first time we’ve been up there in cool conditions. 

It was quite invigorating, but it also felt cold at times. I don’t think temps have climbed above 17c today and felt closer to 15c.