Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    1 hour ago, B87 said:

    The summer is not a write off yet. If we get to mid July and still no sign of average or warm conditions, then it'll be safer to say. 

    We just had an above average June, temperature wise. The issue is not so much temperature but more lengthier dry and sunny spells.

     

     

     

     

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

    Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

    This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    48 minutes ago, Alderc said:

    Its another poor summers day here, was bright earlier but now heavily overcast, showery and cool with a temp of just 17.8C currently.....Output from the models suggest a run of cool conditions through probably the first half of the month. 

    Just for laughs look at this beauty the GFS pulled out its bag of wonders for next Friday......

    Just across the channel the cheese and wine is flowing over in southern England its a winters day....

     

    GFSOPUK06_204_48.png

    WoW. 10-12°C temps on the south coast at 6 pm. That would be a shocker if it came off!   The model is almost certainly forecasting a band of heavy rain to be there for temps to be that low. The GFS has been performing poorly recently though so it probably won’t verify.

    Edited by East Lancs Rain
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
    2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

    WoW. 10-12°C temps on the south coast at 6 pm. That would be a shocker if it came off!   The model is almost certainly forecasting a band of heavy rain to be there for temps to be that low. The GFS has been performing poorly recently though so it probably won’t verify.

    That seems crazy lol considering Northern france is in the high twenties. Ah well, GFS is pretty rubbish it suggested highs of 19C back in February

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
    On 01/07/2020 at 14:06, mb018538 said:

    No chance! 2012 had 13.5 and 15.5 for June and July. We’re at around 15.3c for June 2020, and I can’t see July being that low on the charts being churned out at present. It’s not been amazing for sure, but not a total disaster (on the whole).

    The fact that we had a warm CET for June means nothing. The month was damp and cloudy. And I bet if we didn’t have that three day hot spell it would’ve been close to average. The month of June 2016 also had above average temperatures but it was still a crap month because it was cloudy and wet.

     

     And June 2007 also had a CET in the 15s and so did July and August. 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England

     Cool and overcast with patchy drizzle here in East Lancashire. Even for us this weather is poor. Feels like we’ve skipped ahead to late August. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

    We just had an above average June, temperature wise. The issue is not so much temperature but more lengthier dry and sunny spells.

     

     

     

     

    June 2020 was comfortably warmer and drier than June 1982 (which seems to get a lot of love on here for some reason), with similar sunshine and thunderstorm totals.

    A week of cloudy/wet and 2-3c below average isn't the end of the world when it looks like temps will return to normal next week, with dry conditions.

    2nd half of July could easily produce a heatwave to rival anything seen in late June. It wasn't long ago that June was being written off and unlikely to produce any hot days!

    August for some reason seems to be incapable of producing anything good since 2006, why is that? 2016 was alright, but nothing unusual. 

    Edited by B87
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    20 minutes ago, B87 said:

    June 2020 was comfortably warmer and drier than June 1982 (which seems to get a lot of love on here for some reason), with similar sunshine and thunderstorm totals.

    A week of cloudy/wet and 2-3c below average isn't the end of the world when it looks like temps will return to normal next week, with dry conditions.

    2nd half of July could easily produce a heatwave to rival anything seen in late June. It wasn't long ago that June was being written off and unlikely to produce any hot days!

    August for some reason seems to be incapable of producing anything good since 2006, why is that? 2016 was alright, but nothing unusual. 

    Warmer than June 1982 doesn't mean much. June 2020 had more poor days than good ones. 

    We still had enough decent sunny evenings, but it was disappointing for thunder in the london area. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wimbledon,SW London
  • Location: Wimbledon,SW London

    Yes, a distinct lack of thunder in London this so called summer so far, despite met forecasting it quite regularly. Someone has just said that our Met Service are the best in the world. LMFHO!!! On the MAD thread mind you. 

    They may aswell be forecasting the weather on Mars this last few days for the London area imo. 

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Irlam
  • Location: Irlam
    1 hour ago, B87 said:

    June 2020 was comfortably warmer and drier than June 1982 (which seems to get a lot of love on here for some reason), with similar sunshine and thunderstorm totals.

    A week of cloudy/wet and 2-3c below average isn't the end of the world when it looks like temps will return to normal next week, with dry conditions.

    2nd half of July could easily produce a heatwave to rival anything seen in late June. It wasn't long ago that June was being written off and unlikely to produce any hot days!

    August for some reason seems to be incapable of producing anything good since 2006, why is that? 2016 was alright, but nothing unusual. 

     Was it warmer June 2020 than June 1982 in London?

    It wasn't for the CET: 15.5 for June 1982 and 15.3 for June 2020

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    12 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

     Was it warmer June 2020 than June 1982 in London?

    It wasn't for the CET: 15.5 for June 1982 and 15.3 for June 2020

    June 1982: 21.5c/12.8c, 84.6mm, 182.1 hours

    June 2020: 22.5c/12.6c, 54.0mm, 174.9 hours

    Edited by B87
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Romford Essex.
  • Location: Near Romford Essex.
    3 minutes ago, B87 said:

    June 1982: 21.5c/12.8c, 84.6mm, 182.1 hours

    June 2020: 22.5c/12.6c, 54.0mm, 174.9 hours

    30 . 15.

    ?

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: leeds
  • Location: leeds

    Stats are nonsense in a lot of ways ..They don't take into consideration each day but the month over all..For instance you could have plenty of days below average in a month. But the first 3 days of June and the recent warm spell. All adds up for the month being warmer or near average. To me this June (my location)was nothing special but was better than last year where it rained for 3 weeks out of the 4.

     

     

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: leeds
  • Location: leeds

    I'm no expert but watching the weather over the years. Summers often follow a certain pattern. We get settled warm springs. where high pressure builds to the east of the UK and we get easterlies ,that a lot of time block off the usual Atlantic attack

    Sadly by Summer the pattern changes and we end up waiting for good spells of fine weather. By the time we reach autumn sometimes the pattern reverses back and September is good.  The difference of Summer 2018 is the facts we had no Spring at all . we went from winter into summer .we had snow on the ground in the first week of April to high twenties by the end of that month. and the next 3 months we were blocked from the east and north by a huge high and the Atlantic went to sleep. And then Autumn 2018 was poor. obviously in my location.Hopefully the weather will improve soon. Or it will be regarded as yet another poor summer.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

    30 . 15.

    ?

    What?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
  • Location: Pendle, East Lancashire, North West England

     After a cool and damp day, it feels nice to have a bit of sunshine now. I don’t mind having a cool July as long as there is plenty of sunshine and it’s mostly dry. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Shrewsbury
  • Location: Shrewsbury
    2 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

    I'm no expert but watching the weather over the years. Summers often follow a certain pattern. We get settled warm springs. where high pressure builds to the east of the UK and we get easterlies ,that a lot of time block off the usual Atlantic attack

    Sadly by Summer the pattern changes and we end up waiting for good spells of fine weather. By the time we reach autumn sometimes the pattern reverses back and September is good.  The difference of Summer 2018 is the facts we had no Spring at all . we went from winter into summer .we had snow on the ground in the first week of April to high twenties by the end of that month. and the next 3 months we were blocked from the east and north by a huge high and the Atlantic went to sleep. And then Autumn 2018 was poor. obviously in my location.Hopefully the weather will improve soon. Or it will be regarded as yet another poor summer.

    It's very true that 2018 had no spring at all. Snow on April 2nd, then about 10 days with virtually no sunshine and single figure temps, midmonth it suddenly flipped to 20C+ and clear, like going from Feb to June almost overnight. And it stayed mostly warm and sunny until early August.

    The total opposite of years where it seems to be permanently spring or autumn (2008 and 2015 I'm thinking of you..)

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London

    2011 was a year of permanent spring/autumn here. Average highs of 18-21c from April to October.

    I'd say it was a better year than 2007 or 2008, even though 2008 had a warmer summer.

    Edited by B87
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Crymych, Pembrokeshire. 150m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
  • Location: Crymych, Pembrokeshire. 150m asl

    Don't like to moan - we did have a lovely Spring after all - but really, it's not like summer at all.  More like October here this morning with 100% overcast, strong to gale force winds, and heavy rain on the way. This must be one of the windiest summers ever for this area, too - I cant remember sustained strong winds like we've had for days on end in June and July but then it's probably all happened before.....   I can only hope the GFS is right and July will improve in the next two weeks.  

    Moan over.  On the plus side, things could be even worse.....   

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    1 hour ago, Sky Full said:

    Don't like to moan - we did have a lovely Spring after all - but really, it's not like summer at all.  More like October here this morning with 100% overcast, strong to gale force winds, and heavy rain on the way. This must be one of the windiest summers ever for this area, too - I cant remember sustained strong winds like we've had for days on end in June and July but then it's probably all happened before.....   I can only hope the GFS is right and July will improve in the next two weeks.  

    Moan over.  On the plus side, things could be even worse.....   

    Yes not July esque at all. Although, we’ve been here before, even in less poor summers. Late June and the first half of July 2004 were pretty windy and un summerlike. That was after long fine conditions in June though, and July improved later on.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bournemouth
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Very Warm, Warm! Sunshine & TS
  • Location: Bournemouth

    Its another poor summers day here, it was bright earlier however now its clouded over a bit more and pretty cool at just 17C. Even last Friday we only managed 21.3C since then not managed 21C so every day at least 1C below average with the likes of the 1st with a max of just 17.2C nearly 5C below average. Complete waste of high summer. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Leeds Bradford Airport
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny in Summer, Cold & Frosty in Winter, Thunderstorms
  • Location: Near Leeds Bradford Airport

    Really missing going abroad this year when the weather is like this, it’s been one of the worst “summer” weeks for a good few years. Hoping things start to pick up soon. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London

    2nd week of July and the SE joins in the 2007-esque horrow show party.

    WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

    London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
    39 minutes ago, B87 said:

    2nd week of July and the SE joins in the 2007-esque horrow show party.

    WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

    London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

     

    A mean max of 22.6C, mean min of 13.4C, 1.3mm of rain and 92 hours of sun in the first half of July. I'm not sure how you'll cope.

    Edited by reef
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    19 minutes ago, reef said:

    A mean max of 22.6C, mean min of 13.4C, 1.3mm of rain and 92 hours of sun in the first half of July. I'm not sure how you'll cope.

    So cooler and cloudier than average, and plenty of time for it to be wetter than average in the 2nd half of the month.

    I was looking at the 2nd week of the month though, as the first week looks near normal. 19-21c in July is not acceptable.

    Edited by B87
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...