Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
21 minutes ago, Azazel said:

The unsettled weather continues for the foreseeable taking us deep into July. Any substantial improvement will have to wait until the second half of summer and we all know how terrible Augusts have been in general for 17 years now.

The weather has been abysmal here. If we manage to squeeze out another 2-3 day hot wonder before the end of summer it would elevate it to a 3/10 in my book - and the 3 is because I’ve managed to see some lightning in the distance one evening and managed to chase one small storm 15 miles away. For my exact location it’s been a solid 2/10.

Its my feeling there has certainly been a climatological shift in the past few years with our summers now occurring between April-June. With that in mind, I’m ready to basically throw in the towel for this summer which began its autumn transition on June 26th! A record in terms of early-onset, beating out 2017’s mid-July arrival.

9 months until I can look forward to summer again - throw Covid into a mild and wet autumn/winter and it’s going to be a real treat.

Yep, it seems summer starts earlier every year but ends earlier too so it doesn't atually get longer. Maybe we will get a few days of heat, but all I can see for now is temps into the lows 20s, cloud, rain at times and wind. I think August might actually be a better month though. Who knows. As said I'm sure we will see at least one day of 30C like June. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

August trough dominated though, nowadays very rare to see high pressure E'lys, north/west of uk August not really summer

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

The best Augusts since 2005 were 2016 and 2019, but they were not particularly great months. Hopefully we get a repeat of August 1995 or 2003, we are well overdue one, far more than a poor July.

August is meant to be almost identical to July, just with shorter days.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

TWO has gone for a nicER August not sure will play out but a thundery or warm August would be interesting to see

Edited by Jacky

Posted

Today's a bit chilly to say the least, its 12.0C just before midday. This time last week at the same time it was 27C.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Another great July day. 17c and tipping it down with rain every hour. Seriously poor this last week. Wind, cloud and rain galore. Be glad for something a bit quieter next week, even if it’s not overly warm until potentially the end of the week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Does anyone truly believe we will get a decent August? When was the last one you could say was properly warm and sunny? 2003? Does 2016 count? Not really for me, it just looks ok because the others have been so bad around it! Last 3 years have been pants too, adding to a disappointing list since 2003.

Posted
7 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Does anyone truly believe we will get a decent August? When was the last one you could say was properly warm and sunny? 2003? Does 2016 count? Not really for me, it just looks ok because the others have been so bad around it! Last 3 years have been pants too, adding to a disappointing list since 2003.

Down here in the SE they haven't been too bad, not great no, but obviously the further north you go and as August wears on they can 'feel' a tad Autumnal.

Before its said August is a summer month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

The unsettled weather continues for the foreseeable taking us deep into July. Any substantial improvement will have to wait until the second half of summer and we all know how terrible Augusts have been in general for 17 years now.

The weather has been abysmal here. If we manage to squeeze out another 2-3 day hot wonder before the end of summer it would elevate it to a 3/10 in my book - and the 3 is because I’ve managed to see some lightning in the distance one evening and managed to chase one small storm 15 miles away. For my exact location it’s been a solid 2/10.

Its my feeling there has certainly been a climatological shift in the past few years with our summers now occurring between April-June. With that in mind, I’m ready to basically throw in the towel for this summer which began its autumn transition on June 26th! A record in terms of early-onset, beating out 2017’s mid-July arrival.

9 months until I can look forward to summer again - throw Covid into a mild and wet autumn/winter and it’s going to be a real treat.

Last few days have been dire here as well, apart from yesterday, which was okay.  I definitely agree this something seems to be earlier these days, perhaps we should make more of the spring months.

Posted
3 hours ago, reef said:

Well today is certainly worse than expected! We've had rain almost stationary on the radar over us since 3am now. We're on nearly 18mm already so we've had almost 25mm in the last 36hrs hrs so far.

Just a bit of patchy drizzle here in east Lancs. Rain must be stuck on the east of the Pennines today.  The wind is north-easterly today. Makes a change because usually the rain gets stuck on the west of the Pennines, that’s exactly what happened on Sunday and Monday and dumped 200 mm of rain in 24 hours over Honister Pass in the Lake District.  It’s still a cold and damp miserable day though here. 

Posted

12°C and patchy drizzle here at the moment, even for here this is very poor for July. It’s going to take a miracle to save this summer.

• Like 1

Posted
57 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

We've only had 4 acceptable/decent ones since 2005 - 2013, 2016, 2018 and 2019. 2016 was the best of those by far, but it still wasn't anything special when compared with pre-2006 Augusts.

The last time August was warmer, drier and sunnier than average was 2003.

Why is it so unsettled and often below average these days?

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

July may as well be written off too. When the jet is weak we have northern blocking meaning lows get docked over us, when the jet is strong we still have  higher pressure than average over the Arctic so the jet is always on a collision with the UK. No way out of this mess until a substantial pattern change happens, and in the age of global warming these only happen once every few months. This summer is a write off for me.

Posted

The summer is not a write off yet. If we get to mid July and still no sign of average or warm conditions, then it'll be safer to say. I remember writing summer 2016 off at the end of June, and that was a FAR worse month than this one has been. July and August 2016 ended up being average or slightly warmer than average.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Appallingly cold out today! About 10 degrees below average and I saw a big shaggy dog shivering in the cold the poor bugger.

• Like 1

Posted

Typical set up for Summer in the UK. we expect to much after we have some good summers.. Over all the UK summers are poor-And again my biggest gripe like over the years is the BBC forecasts and the  mention of heatwaves in them. there is absolutely no need to mention that word when clearly there is no sign of any..All it does it give people the impression theres one around the corner.

Posted

Another grim day here, the 6th in a row with non stop drizzle & only 12c although to be fair it wasn't too bad yesterday. 1 in 6 ain't bad!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
4 hours ago, B87 said:

The best Augusts since 2005 were 2016 and 2019, but they were not particularly great months. Hopefully we get a repeat of August 1995 or 2003, we are well overdue one, far more than a poor July.

August is meant to be almost identical to July, just with shorter days.

You've just suggested that we are overdue an August comparable to the 5th and 1st hottest August's in over 300 years of records. By definition we are not overdue.

What we are more overdue is an August exceeding 17.4C so something like last July.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Sunny spells here. All of the showers across the SE have dodged me.. So the weather isn't too bad IMBY. 

I'd be happy without any more heatwaves this summer.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

The summer is not a write off yet. If we get to mid July and still no sign of average or warm conditions, then it'll be safer to say. I remember writing summer 2016 off at the end of June, and that was a FAR worse month than this one has been. July and August 2016 ended up being average or slightly warmer than average.

July 2016 was quite a poor month here, esspecially the first half. Below average sunshine, above average rainfall and daytime temperatures below average.

The 2nd half of August 2016 was good here, but the first half was poor. Dull, cool and windy.

June 2016 was a warm, wet and cloudy month here. 

Overall, the summer of 2016 was poor here, with above average rainfall, below average sunshine and average temperatures.

September 2016 (esspecially the first half) was awesome though and better than most of the summer here.

Posted
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

Sunny spells here. All of the showers across the SE have dodged me.. So the weather isn't too bad IMBY. 

I'd be happy without any more heatwaves this summer.

I've had a couple of heavy showers but mostly sunshine and clouds. Not a bad day really, or week for that matter.

I agree with you about the heatwave - but that's probably because we are fortunate living in the SE and know that without the heatwave the summer down here will still be fairly decent. I understand those further N and W wanting it. Especially as the heatwave is usually moderated for them meaning great warm to hot weather, where-as it's unbearable, especially in the capital.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

You've just suggested that we are overdue an August comparable to the 5th and 1st hottest August's in over 300 years of records. By definition we are not overdue.

What we are more overdue is an August exceeding 17.4C so something like last July.

What are your thoughts for August SB, throwing La nina, low solar into the mix?

Ta.

Its another poor summers day here, was bright earlier but now heavily overcast, showery and cool with a temp of just 17.8C currently.....Output from the models suggest a run of cool conditions through probably the first half of the month. 

Just for laughs look at this beauty the GFS pulled out its bag of wonders for next Friday......

Just across the channel the cheese and wine is flowing over in southern England its a winters day....

GFSOPUK06_204_48.png

Edited by Guest