Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
21 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

After a week of hot weather and two warm and sunny days at the start of June, it looks like ending up on the poor side overall. 

Like many have said, there’s something for everyone, and sleeping conditions are better now. But, the only downside with better sleeping conditions, is having to settle for this damp cool cloudy muck, with temps in London barely scraping 20c. I’m back to wearing a light jacket again. 

Agree. I've gone back to sleeping with the duvet on! 

Posted
18 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I have overall quite enjoyed June 2020. It hasn't been ridiculously hot throughout and it hasn't been like 2012 either. It has been a fairly changeable month which I find to be part of the charm of our climate. More changeable weather and less blockings please.

A bit too changeable for my liking! June 2018 has been my favourite June in recent years - dry, warm and sunny (and apart from the last week, not excessively hot either, temps were a pleasant 18-22C most of the time).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Well here in my part of London the most (Greenwich) sun I get on average is ~185 hours in August the average is rather poor so a cloudy month is always bad in my opinion. It’s easier for you to like a cloudier summer in Alberta.... don’t you get 300 hours? For most of U.K. away from south coast a cloudy month is not what you want.

I think the Greenwich site had an obstructed horizon (trees and the hill to the south), which is why sun hours there (1450ish) were so low compared to everywhere else in the south of England.

Most other low-lying weather stations in London have about 200 hours extra.

Heathrow: 1633 hours

Kew Gardens: 1653 hours

LWC: 1637 hours

Hampton: 1592 hours

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

Best climate I've come across for reliable dry and sunny (but not too hot) weather is Half Moon Bay in California. Almost consistent sunshine in summer with no rain and temps around 17-22C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Best climate I've come across for reliable dry and sunny (but not too hot) weather is Half Moon Bay in California. Almost consistent sunshine in summer with no rain and temps around 17-22C.

Yes that part of California around San Francisco is comfortable in the Summer. The only natural issue there is the earthquakes though. Just never know if there's going to be a huge one.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I know what you mean. It’s still usable, but the lack of sun can make it feel less summery. 1986 had that kind of weather, especially August. Maybe I have my dates mixed up, but I do recall a very dull and humid weekend during August 1986, and a thunderstorm during the night on a Sunday. 

August 1986 was a very dull month and the coldest August since 1912 averaging 12.6 deg in this area,even the poor summers of the last dozen years  with poor Augusts are all 3 degrees warmer than that of 1986 and that reflects just how i remember it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
41 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yes that part of California around San Francisco is comfortable in the Summer. The only natural issue there is the earthquakes though. Just never know if there's going to be a huge one.

I went to SFO on my road trip a few years ago, absolutely Baltic in the morning when waiting to go to Alcatraz! Marine layer well and truly in, was about 11c during mid morning.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

August 1986 was a very dull month and the coldest August since 1912 averaging 12.6 deg in this area,even the poor summers of the last dozen years  with poor Augusts are all 3 degrees warmer than that of 1986 and that reflects just how i remember it.

Yes, I was only 10 at the time. But, I do recall it being the first cold summer I was aware of. Even August 1987 was better in terms of hot weather, but August 86 just seemed more like a winter month.

There was a thundery evening on one weekend in London during this time.

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

That still doesn’t make them any better. 1986 was a vile year for anyone who enjoyed warm sunny weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June 2019 vs June 2020 in London. Very similar months. Both warmer than average, wet and cloudy.

2019: 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

2020: 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station...

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I went to SFO on my road trip a few years ago, absolutely Baltic in the morning when waiting to go to Alcatraz! Marine layer well and truly in, was about 11c during mid morning.

The west coast of California (especially San Francisco) does occasionally suffer with cold foggy conditions during the summer. However most of the time during the summer,the weather is pretty good and unlike the UK, they don’t have to worry about getting wet. Look at the weather forecast for San Francisco at the moment. Looks pretty good,  especially from the Sunshine perspective,  if a bit windy.  Also, thanks to that cold ocean, despite being at a far southerly latitude, daytime temperatures in summer are around the low 20s (perfect weather as far as I’m concerned).  It’s also much warmer in winter and it is during the UK as well. 

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for San Francisco.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Last 4 days have been borrowed from late October. Shockingly poor for late June. Abysmal.

Easily over 100mm of rain, higher ground 200-300mm, no sunshine, temps no higher at any point than 14 degrees. Strong wind lasting over 24 hours. 

It's making for a very depressing feel.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
On 23 June 2020 at 10:59, Mr Frost said:

Really enjoyed our first Month of Summer so far - few cool/wet days (today is pretty grim! ) but most have been in the high teens/low twenties (our average June temperature is a whopping 16C ) with plenty of sunshine! Mild nights also...especially the last seven to ten days. 

Buzzing for this brief burst of heat Thursday/Friday with the risk of thunderstorms. 

01CEEF9E-4E25-4958-8B75-0891D6AA6C88.thumb.png.1eba36f3a8b0b87c05996fd79a416e85.png

Warmth, convective weather, stunning sunsets, lenticular clouds and noctilucent clouds have been the highlight of this month for me.

I am a weather enthusiast who loves every season of the year - each delivers something I enjoy. (Love anything extreme as let’s be honest...our climate is not exactly the most exciting on Earth - nothing much really happens all year round!)

Totally understand/respect that everyone is different with regards to weather preferences as can be seen in this thread - makes for an interesting forum. (Would be boring if you we all enjoyed the same weather types!)

Some of my favourite local pictures I have taken this month.

D3A1A271-321C-40F0-BB74-0B5DC7EBA826.thumb.jpeg.2e36aefdb6df61a99be58dfedf45d2bd.jpegBA57DDCC-157D-4329-9716-A1524CFB1CCD.thumb.jpeg.1a96ea2226130ce15075813747edc1fa.jpeg1684F5CA-0E7C-40EA-B56B-D7B559ED4654.thumb.jpeg.63d5659e3701e82c35a55641ca12b763.jpegF2E5079C-266D-4AEA-95AC-4FA6213C4F4D.thumb.jpeg.bb942894dd9d719c0cf62a04e4a9795c.jpegBB7F7B2C-6400-4E72-80DC-9C10EFFC95C1.thumb.jpeg.42480b636bd423a8f11a5dbdaf9fbd42.jpegA6B5007B-5EE5-4582-B7D8-622F95BD3FC2.thumb.jpeg.02edc93c3160880f80662f99f4d49af7.jpeg

All the best everyone! 

Not looking so good now though is it... 

BBC Weather forecast for Gourock, Inverclyde. Tonight: Light Cloud. Min 12°C. Wind 5mph SW. https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648259

Beautiful pics though btw, shame about the climate.

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Last 4 days have been borrowed from late October. Shockingly poor for late June. Abysmal.

Easily over 100mm of rain, higher ground 200-300mm, no sunshine, temps no higher at any point than 14 degrees. Strong wind lasting over 24 hours. 

It's making for a very depressing feel.

Indeed. Hopefully July will be better. Can't get any worse than this. Thankfully a better day tomorrow, 18°C and mostly cloudy forecast, not that that's anything to get excited about in July.

Maybe we'll get 4 nice warm sunny days in October to make up for it. Of course the sun will be much weaker by then but would be nice to get an Idian Summer this year. Get enough cold rain as it is.

Posted

Happy 1st July everyone, the "hottest" month of "summer"!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looks pretty hot weather in Prague for the next week, certainly by UK standards anyway. Guess that's just normal weather for continental Europe though.

WWW.BING.COM

Today will reach 28°C, that wind is still quite gusty and there is a chance of a thunderstorm. Pretty average for the next 10 days, between 21-26°C which will be fine if it’s sunny. Looks fairly dry, too. Going camping this weekend and the following one, so ideal conditions really, fingers crossed. Hopefully an improvement in the UK weather conditions coming soon! What a naff week it’s been, just seen the latest fax charts and the naffness continues for a while yet.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted

June 2020 stats from here: 17 high-summer days (25,0 C or more) and 4 days over 30 C

No signs that july will match up with this hot june we just had, looks more and more like an 2007& 2009 type of july

Posted

Oh dear. Thick cloud, cool and currently about 17°. What a way to start the hottest month of the year. At least it’s dry but it looks pretty ominous with the thick grey cloud. Looks like it could rain any time. 

Looking at the forecast it looks pretty dreadful for the next five days at least, temperatures consistently below 20°C (which is around our average for July), plenty more rain to come and quite breezy too at times. Looks a bit better into next week but temperatures still below average.  Feels like it’s been thrown straight into autumn. I feel summer 2020 is over, at least for the north.

Posted

And now it’s raining. Getting serious summer 2012 vibes now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
29 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

And now it’s raining. Getting serious summer 2012 vibes now.

No chance! 2012 had 13.5 and 15.5 for June and July. We’re at around 15.3c for June 2020, and I can’t see July being that low on the charts being churned out at present. It’s not been amazing for sure, but not a total disaster (on the whole).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

17.7 scraped a 20 today, weekend looking warmer before cooler again, then warmer into mid next week possibly.

Posted
52 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

No chance! 2012 had 13.5 and 15.5 for June and July. We’re at around 15.3c for June 2020, and I can’t see July being that low on the charts being churned out at present. It’s not been amazing for sure, but not a total disaster (on the whole).

Maybe it’s because the wind is westerly at the moment. Never seems to be a good wind direction for here. Often brings a lot of cool, cloudy and unsettled conditions.

Currently 17° with 74% humidity and a few breaks in the cloud starting to appear. Light winds from the west.

Posted

Bring back the heat please. This current weather is just depressing on all levels, especially during the peak of summer. 

Has a 1987 vibe to it at the moment, although June wasn’t as bad as that.