Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
14 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

My bedroom has cooled from 31°C on Friday to 25°C tonight - and it feels quite cool! 

Guess it’s all relative then. And if it’s a dry 25°C then I guess it won’t feel too bad. Down to 19°C in the bedroom now, 18°C in the living room, and only about 12°C outside. Brrrr...

• Like 1

Posted

The south is subtropical compared to 200 miles further north. apart from the facts the south the weather is still poor. But hey lets all live in a fantasy world.

Anyway lets get back to what I came on for,just like I say every summer and get shouted down every summer. The jet stream is in the correct position for summers in the UK. And has usual it takes forever to lemon this pattern. That's why am expecting Late July and August to be an improvement..Saying that. I don't think June was overly bad. Unlike last year which was terrible.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

212mm of rain at Honister Pass in the last 24 hours.....that’s disgusting at any time of the year, but for mid summer that’s a shocker!

Posted
2 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

The south is subtropical compared to 200 miles further north. apart from the facts the south the weather is still poor. But hey lets all live in a fantasy world.

Anyway lets get back to what I came on for,just like I say every summer and get shouted down every summer. The jet stream is in the correct position for summers in the UK. And has usual it takes forever to lemon this pattern. That's why am expecting Late July and August to be an improvement..Saying that. I don't think June was overly bad. Unlike last year which was terrible.

Sorry but have to disagree.  This June has been just as bad as last year, if not worse.  The first two weeks were unseasonably cold, then a few warm and thundery days around the middle of the month, then three days of blistering heat before back to cold and wet weather that we have now.  Barely anything in the pleasant 18 to 23°C range.Yes the first half of last June was atrocious, but it definitely got better in the second half, and I can’t remember anything as bad as what we have had just now this weekend.

And the summer weather in the south is definitely not poor. Southampton has an average daytime maximum temperature of a very pleasant 22°C in July and August and only around 50 mm of rain per month, with plenty of sunshine too.  Cornwall is a bit cooler and wetter but has more sunshine to make up for it.  I went to Paignton in Devon in late August 2017 and the weather was glorious, felt like being abroad. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

212mm of rain at Honister Pass in the last 24 hours.....that’s disgusting at any time of the year, but for mid summer that’s a shocker!

Indeed. About four times London’s monthly average rainfall in just one day. It’s like December 2015 again. Wouldn’t be surprised to see major flooding.  Not quite as wet as that here, but definitely not pleasant. We are definitely paying for that nice lovely spring up here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The wind has been relentless here over the last few days and by the looks of it that’s set to continue for much of this week. Feels more like autumn at the moment. 

• Like 1

Posted

Even Reyjavick in Iceland is warmer than the UK at the moment!

913B1351-CEF7-463E-8CDF-511EB965E4F1.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Errr no it rained for at least 3 weeks of June last year. I would say  we have about 13/14 decent days in June. The first 3 days were hot. then  mid month we had 5/6 nice days and 5 days of heat at the end..Well In Leeds it has. I recall during the mid month period..in the west they loads of thunderstorms.. But we missed most of the thunderstorms here.

Posted

Another foul day here with constant drizzle/rain and a gusty wind blowing it all around like a jetspray. Only 12.6c so feeling cold as well. At least tomorrow looks better (hopefully!)

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

As June comes to a close it looks like it will be a wetter than average month with slightly above average CET. 

Typical!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Loving the cooler conditions.....my bank balance isn't taking such a hit from having to run the air con all the time!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

Unfortunately have to keep fixing some of my sensitive plants in the garden that keep getting dislodged to one side with this breeze..

Posted

Impressive temps today 12.1c max a nearly full on 18c colder to last thursday sneaked a brief 30c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

So far been a pretty 'average' summer month - a bit of everything but not surprisingly another month above the CET series, currently this wind can do one!

Posted

After a week of hot weather and two warm and sunny days at the start of June, it looks like ending up on the poor side overall. 

Like many have said, there’s something for everyone, and sleeping conditions are better now. But, the only downside with better sleeping conditions, is having to settle for this damp cool cloudy muck, with temps in London barely scraping 20c. I’m back to wearing a light jacket again. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, adam93 said:

Dreadful weather today, maximum of 12C, strong winds and rain on and off all day.

It’s felt very 2012ish this afternoon. 

In some ways, but I don’t remember any hot period in June 2012. Just cold and dull throughout, but this June is certainly a poor one. 

I think this will be the overall picture for summer 2020.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

In some ways, but I don’t remember any hot period in June 2012. Just cold and dull throughout, but this June is certainly a poor one. 

I think this will be the overall picture for summer 2020.

Yeah this month has been nowhere near as bad as that month. Today has been vile though! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

It's not been a bad summer month.  Not a classic by any means but there has been something for everyone.  Like people are saying slightly above average temps overall, a decent heatwave albeit short lived and some will remember the month for thunder especially parts of the Midlands and nw.  It is poor now though and the winds keep blowing our tomato plants over!

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

It's not been a bad summer month.  Not a classic by any means but there has been something for everyone.  Like people are saying slightly above average temps overall, a decent heatwave albeit short lived and some will remember the month for thunder especially parts of the Midlands and nw.  It is poor now though and the winds keep blowing our tomato plants over!

I will give you that. And even on the poor days, we’ve still enjoyed some decent sunsets up until and beyond 10pm. 

Im hoping for another hot spell though, at least one for 2 weeks in July and another one lasting for 2-3 weeks in August, but at worst, If it remains in the low 20s, please let it be sunny. 

• Like 1

Posted

Spare a thought for us in the Lake District past 48 hrs, from summer heat to November. Widespread falls of heavy rain 3 inches plus, Honister Pass 8 inches in 24 hrs, daily June record, and temps no higher than 13 degrees. What a flip from Wed-Thurs. 

• Like 2

Posted

First autumn pang today. Earliest I can recall it being. Took the dog out about 8.00pm - sun was lower in the sky which simulated autumn light and it was about 12 degrees in the frigid gusty wind. Felt like mid October. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have overall quite enjoyed June 2020. It hasn't been ridiculously hot throughout and it hasn't been like 2012 either. It has been a fairly changeable month which I find to be part of the charm of our climate. More changeable weather and less blockings please.