Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
5 hours ago, h2005__uk__ said:

What caused the first two days of this 'heatwave' to have an easterly wind? Isn't it more usual to get a S/SW wind when heat comes from the continent?

The positioning of the high to the east as this is a hot position for a heatwave. . Very rare to see parts of Manchester and Blackpool hitting 32C while some parts of London are only 30C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

As I predicted this morning, the main forecasters all underestimated the temps today and overestimated the thunderstorms.

Even a few days back I was expecting Friday to be another hot day for many- while the BBC for example were suggesting 24C with lots of showers.

Here we manage 27C despite a predicted max by the Met Office of 25C this morning. It was also very sunny for virtually the whole afternoon and evening.

When the breeze is still from the SE we usually do well in these parts, even when pressure starts falling. That's why I was surprised the major forecasters were predicting so much rain today.

Yep. Quite frequently when thunderstorms have been forecast, the weather fails to deliver. I don't bother holding my hopes up anymore. Just take things as they come.

• Like 4

November starts next week pretty averagely with a succession of lows barrelling through the U.K. Any warmer settled conditions firmly parked in FI with almost universal agreement of unsettled conditions for at least the next 10days. ECM takes the cake this is morning, it’s just a terrible terrible output for 10days and a complete waste of decent chunk of what is now high summer! Not going to buy the GFS warm up until that’s within 5-6days....

Posted

Couldn't help but laugh when I saw this one on Netweather's current temperature map this morning

Untitled.thumb.png.9115d22fe079b3205f505e4df2a37e35.png

Knew it was cooler and fresher today but look at that reading in the red circle at Cosford Royal Air Force Base near Wolverhampton.

Thought it was supposed to cool down but nothing was ever said about freezing point temperatures

Someone must be noticing that near 30C temperature dive from yesterday to now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

What a difference a day makes. A lot fresher and i've no headache!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
10 hours ago, Scorcher said:

As I predicted this morning, the main forecasters all underestimated the temps today and overestimated the thunderstorms.

Even a few days back I was expecting Friday to be another hot day for many- while the BBC for example were suggesting 24C with lots of showers.

Here we manage 27C despite a predicted max by the Met Office of 25C this morning. It was also very sunny for virtually the whole afternoon and evening.

When the breeze is still from the SE we usually do well in these parts, even when pressure starts falling. That's why I was surprised the major forecasters were predicting so much rain today.

We did have a few thundery Showers here in east Lancs. But yes it was hot, and humid. Definitely felt hotter than the 24C predicted by the BBC Weather app. Anyway, it’s all gone now and been replaced by stiff westerlies. Thank goodness.

Posted
9 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yep. Quite frequently when thunderstorms have been forecast, the weather fails to deliver. I don't bother holding my hopes up anymore. Just take things as they come.

Heard plenty of distant rumbles here but just missed out on a big thunderstorm just a few miles to my north. Leeds and Sheffield also had a big thunderstorm yesterday.

Posted
12 hours ago, MP-R said:

You can include Bristol folk into that. I certainly don't wear shorts in less than about 25C, unless actually sitting in the sun or doing exercise. I certainly wouldn't be in shorts in anything less than our summer average, especially if the sun wasn't out.

In the same way as many southerners are a bit soft when it comes to cold, northerners certainly are when it come to moderate warmth let alone heat!

There’s been nothing moderate about this heat! It’s been pushing 30 degrees!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

My least favourite ‘summer’ weather in the UK for the next few days (cool, windy, plenty of cloud ), thankfully it’s much warmer with thunderstorm chances here in the Czech Republic

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

My least favourite ‘summer’ weather in the UK for the next few days (cool, windy, plenty of cloud ), thankfully it’s much warmer with thunderstorm chances here in the Czech Republic

The one positive is much cleaner air in the UK though with this sort of breeze. Air quality in Central Europe is noticeably poorer during summer I find.

It would be nice to have more reliable summers here in the UK but if I was to move abroad it would be to a coastal region further south in Europe rather than the middle of the continent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

There’s been nothing moderate about this heat! It’s been pushing 30 degrees!

Again... northern perspective. Only the poorest of summers don’t get to 30C in the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

to be honest as much as i am a heat lover, I really do not want the heat and humidity we've just experienced at night, it's nice during the day but would love it to change to november at night to get a comfortable sleep 

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 4

Posted

How nice to wake up to grey clouds instead of blue skies and dazzling sunshine.  Makes one remember that they’re in Lancashire and not the Mediterranean! Pendle hill looking nice and black this morning.

26107C36-B8E5-4C36-93C1-F6449AE42BAF.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted

Breezy and raining here now. Ahhhhhh that’s more like it, a proper British Summer at last! ?

• Like 1

Posted

9C temp drop today, and all it looks for the next week barring two days is rain and cloud. And temps 19-21C. At least its cool in the night

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Oh look, more storms for the north.

Rinse & repeat. 

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Oh look, more storms for the north.

Rinse & repeat. 

Can’t see anything on the radar at the moment. And you get plenty of storms in the south-east, more than up here in the north-west anyway. 

EDIT: Take that back, strikes starting to appear around Ulverston and Wigan area.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Sunday and Monday looks pretty horrendous for NW England. Heavy rain and windy, and temperatures only in the low teens. The rain getting stuck on the west of the Pennines, and a strong south westerly wind. A yellow rain warning has been issued.

97CE012D-5749-4E44-83F4-AA06F6A7AF62.png

E9DE8479-50CA-4CEE-9866-FEF92877ED23.png

47BDB034-0398-47C1-8F00-E2C18C75E61E.png

567AB25C-AAC5-47D8-9B57-72E7989212B0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

The one positive is much cleaner air in the UK though with this sort of breeze. Air quality in Central Europe is noticeably poorer during summer I find.

It would be nice to have more reliable summers here in the UK but if I was to move abroad it would be to a coastal region further south in Europe rather than the middle of the continent.

Yes, air quality can be poor in the heat but this year, the air quality here has been very good! Sometimes exceptionally good, lockdown was definitely good for the environment. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

November starts next week pretty averagely with a succession of lows barrelling through the U.K. Any warmer settled conditions firmly parked in FI with almost universal agreement of unsettled conditions for at least the next 10days. ECM takes the cake this is morning, it’s just a terrible terrible output for 10days and a complete waste of decent chunk of what is now high summer! Not going to buy the GFS warm up until that’s within 5-6days....

Next week does indeed look like a taste of Autumn with below average temps (13 to 17C) as the UK once more becomes a low pressure / trough magnet in the highest part of Summer. Not seen weather like this in July since 2012 so seems like proper classic payback for this week and so i really dont know why they took offence in a "November" outlook and reading all the replies it would seem this "settled spell" in 10 days time is pretty well nailed down and not FI.  I don't think we'll see any recovery until around July 15th at the earliest. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Next week does indeed look like a taste of Autumn with below average temps (13 to 17C) as the UK once more becomes a low pressure / trough magnet in the highest part of Summer. Not seen weather like this in July since 2012 so seems like proper classic payback for this week and so i really dont know why they took offence in a "November" outlook and reading all the replies it would seem this "settled spell" in 10 days time is pretty well nailed down and not FI.  I don't think we'll see any recovery until around July 15th at the earliest. 

I'm pretty confident we will experience more heat during the second half of July, if not before.  As ever, we shall see.

Posted
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

I remember plenty of unsettled Julys in recent years including 2015, 2016 and 2017. This looks no different. Anyway, GFS 06z run is bringing high pressure back by 7th July.

882B7623-7EA3-49E7-ACA2-750F18D12DD0.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

FINALLY passed 30C today for the first time this summer - ridiculously late for this location. 

Nothing wrong with the air quality either! 

• Like 1