Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Well after 31c yesterday and a half decent lightning display around 3am it’s a lot fresher here on the coast today, 20c a whole 11c cooler with a refreshing breeze and low cloud/ mist off the Channel, not really felt anything remotely muggy or humid so far this year unlike everywhere else today. 

Edited by Freeze

Posted

Thunderstorms starting to break out in Midlands around Nottingham now

thunder.png

Edited by NTC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
5 hours ago, mathematician said:

I mean it's just a normal British summer, this is not Spain 

I think people tend to expect a little too much from our climate. This isn't a hot country.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

So not only do the approaching storms die before they arrive last night leaving me with nothing more than light rain, it’s then follow by being plagued with cloud all day today with cool breeze making it feel more like autumn than summer. 

Posted

If anyone is watching sky sports racing today they are not joking when they say it's humid today, it is the most humid of all the hot days this week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, NTC said:

If anyone is watching sky sports racing today they are not joking when they say it's humid today, it is the most humid of all the hot days this week.

Yeah really humid today. Had a thundery shower about an hour ago with heavy rain for 10 minutes and a few rumbles. Better than nothing, still very muggy though.

Posted

Sky darkening overhead, getting a few rumbles now, wind picking up, getting excited now. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I think people tend to expect a little too much from our climate. This isn't a hot country.

This is the summer moans thread where you will often find heat seekers moaning about poor weather in summer. In the Winter moans thread, you will often find cold seekers moaning about poor weather in the winter. It gets boring when you guys basically tell us not to moan or expect different in the moans thread. 

Temp steadily falling away here now, doesn’t feel anywhere near as oppressive as it did earlier with a fairly brisk breeze at times.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This is the summer moans thread where you will often find heat seekers moaning about poor weather in summer. In the Winter moans thread, you will often find cold seekers moaning about poor weather in the winter. It gets boring when you guys basically tell us not to moan or expect different in the moans thread. 

Temp steadily falling away here now, doesn’t feel anywhere near as oppressive as it did earlier with a fairly brisk breeze at times.

Yep. The UK isn't Siberia either but the way some go on you'd think it was meant to be -20 with blizzards every day.

• Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, marky810 said:

Decent thunder and heavy rain has just passed through the Leeds area. 

Saw it on the radar. Looked intense. Some distant rumbles and heavy bursts of rain here, suns back out again now, looks very dark out to the east.

Posted

Cumulimbus!

E7D7817C-8AD0-4BCD-8449-A5B24518B913.jpeg

Posted
6 hours ago, Nick L said:

Perhaps it's because I'm sadly at home in my furnace of a flat as opposed to being in an office where the A/C is set at 20C! 

No air con around here sadly.  However, being further south west means the cooler and fresher weather is arriving sooner than for the south east.

Posted

What caused the first two days of this 'heatwave' to have an easterly wind? Isn't it more usual to get a S/SW wind when heat comes from the continent?

Posted

Had a lot of distant thunder and some periods of moderate to heavy rain this afternoon, but it's still hot and muggy and we missed out on a big storm just a few miles to the north. 

For some reason, I have found this heatwave much more difficult to cope with than anything we had last year. This past three days has felt like the most intense heat I've experienced for a very long time. Definitely the worst since 2018. Even on the hottest day on record last July, when it reached 33°C, here, yes it still felt very hot but I coped with it much better, even though I went on a trip to Blackpool that day, whereas during this heatwave (for obvious reasons) I have stayed in a lot more.

Maybe it's because it's still only June and I've not become properly acclimatised to the heat yet, whereas by July my body is usually ready for it. Also, we had a very cool spell of weather during the first half of June, and then suddenly it gets to near 30°C with little buildup. To get temperatures of 27°C+ in June is pretty unusual here.

Anyway, not long to wait now before the lovely fresh Atlantic air comes in.  Highs of only 18°C tommorow with a strong westerly breeze. A good 10°C cooler. Thank god for the Atlantic Ocean! I'd hate to think what our climate would be like without it! 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Ahhhhhhhh. So much fresher now. Currently 18° with 85% humidity and a gentle westerly breeze. Can hear seagulls in the distance. Feels like being at the seaside with that lovely fresh cool moist Atlantic air. Still feels comfortable outside in shorts and a tee, bet some Londoners would be freezing at that temperature, seems like anything below 25 is chilly for them...

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Normal service resumes tommorow. Say goodbye to continental heat and say hello to Atlantic air, Westerly Winds and some cool summer rain! ➡️?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Ahhhhhhhh. So much fresher now. Currently 18° with 85% humidity and a gentle westerly breeze. Can hear seagulls in the distance. Feels like being at the seaside with that lovely fresh cool moist Atlantic air. Still feels comfortable outside in shorts and a tee, bet some Londoners would be freezing at that temperature, seems like anything below 25 is chilly for them...

Lol, very true. 

It's quite nice to sit outside in the garden, enjoying the peace, the cool breeze, the smell of the soil after the rain... Rather than suffering from heat and humidity. It really feels like I can breathe again! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You can include Bristol folk into that. I certainly don't wear shorts in less than about 25C, unless actually sitting in the sun or doing exercise. I certainly wouldn't be in shorts in anything less than our summer average, especially if the sun wasn't out.

In the same way as many southerners are a bit soft when it comes to cold, northerners certainly are when it come to moderate warmth let alone heat!

Posted

As I predicted this morning, the main forecasters all underestimated the temps today and overestimated the thunderstorms.

Even a few days back I was expecting Friday to be another hot day for many- while the BBC for example were suggesting 24C with lots of showers.

Here we manage 27C despite a predicted max by the Met Office of 25C this morning. It was also very sunny for virtually the whole afternoon and evening.

When the breeze is still from the SE we usually do well in these parts, even when pressure starts falling. That's why I was surprised the major forecasters were predicting so much rain today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Always start to feel better the further away from the summer solstice we get. That feeling in late July when you first notice the midday sun starting to slowly lose some intensity. 

It's why I don't much mind August and September heatwaves, you know it's backend.

It's also the reason why February cold never feels as good to me compared to December and January freezes.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2