Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

It’s a lovely day outside, the warm conditions even aided a few extra yards on my drives down driving range!Absolutely dreading the next two weeks of cold and damp weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Just had a look on TORRO website, yesterday set a new date record.. 32.4 was the previous one in 1976.  25th june record is 33.5.. will we exceed that today?  Its 50/50 I'd say, temps here about 1c hotter than this time yesterday

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh to live somewhere where three days of summer aren’t rewarded with weeks of crraapp!

Let’s hope for some big improvements beyond the weekend. It doesn’t have to be 32C...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
54 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, I think you have a point about moving the weather station, but Heathrow isn’t completely surrounded by dense suburbs, those are mainly to the E. To the W and SW there are multiple huge reservoirs, a moor and plenty of open land/farmland. Plus the weather station is situated in a vast open area. My home town of Staines-upon-Thames (as it is now known lol) is just 3 miles SSW if the airport and regularly records similar maximum temperatures, as do places such as Windsor to the W. Perhaps weather stations should not be placed at airports as they currently are in most places around the world?

Weather stations are placed at airports obviously for aviation purposes, but also because airports are not affected by the UHI like cities are.

Kew Gardens has warmer highs year round than Heathrow. If the Heathrow site was moved to Hounslow Heath or Chertsey, I doubt there would be any change in average temperatures.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
49 minutes ago, B87 said:

Weather stations are placed at airports obviously for aviation purposes, but also because airports are not affected by the UHI like cities are.

Kew Gardens has warmer highs year round than Heathrow. If the Heathrow site was moved to Hounslow Heath or Chertsey, I doubt there would be any change in average temperatures.

I don't think average temperatures are what people have a problem with. During Summer heatwaves Heathrow seems more regularly than not to claim the top spot in that area of London, and often by some margin. One has to ask why we don't we see more of a spread?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,fairly warm in summer

I notice nights are a lot warmer now,partly due to all these idiots concreting their front gardens for pollution machines,no wonder the planets dying.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
14 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I don't think average temperatures are what people have a problem with. During Summer heatwaves Heathrow seems more regularly than not to claim the top spot in that area of London, and often by some margin. One has to ask why we don't we see more of a spread?

Heathrow holds only 5 absolute maximums out of  92 days of Summer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, MIKE LEVITT said:

I notice nights are a lot warmer now,partly due to all these idiots concreting their front gardens for pollution machines,no wonder the planets dying.

Aye, Mike... And you can blame them for most of the flash-flooding too -- just where is the water supposed to go -- next door!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
16 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Heathrow holds only 5 absolute maximums out of  92 days of Summer!

I expect that to rise over the coming years. In fact, yesterday's reading takes us to six, and with Heathrow currently leading the pack today we might make it to seven! Pre-2005 there was only one Heathrow Summer date record.

Anyway, my main point was that to see Heathrow on top during Summer heatwaves in that area of London (and often by some margin) seems to be a more regular occurrence than not - especially in recent years.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

A quick moan about tv forecasters....all they’ve been banging on about how sticky and humid it’ll be this week.

Its been hot - of course - but currently today humidity is 30%. Similar yesterday. Sorry but that isn’t humid at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Just been on a walk for an hour today. Thought the extra breeze might make it more feel more comfortable but it felt just as hot as yesterday, if not hotter. Brought some cold drinks with me and sat in the shade for a bit which helped but when I got back in I was absolutely exhausted and had to change my t-shirt as it was covered in sweat.  Didn't really enjoy being outside tbh. I know a lot of people love it but I just wasn't built for heat I guess. I'd rather deal with rain than this.

It's also hot and stuffy indoors - 25°C and 68% humidity in the bedroom. 

Its days like like this when you wish for snow! ☃

Really looking forward to the thunderstorms tommorow and the cooldown on Saturday. Can't come soon enough! ?️☔

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
27 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

A quick moan about tv forecasters....all they’ve been banging on about how sticky and humid it’ll be this week.

Its been hot - of course - but currently today humidity is 30%. Similar yesterday. Sorry but that isn’t humid at all.

Got to admit,hot yes,humid not really. I'm one of those who can't tolerate  humidity well and so far this spell hasn't really involved that. As for the hayfever,i've tried everything,bathing eyes seems to do more than than anything else! You have my sympathies,it really is a pain at this time of year and currently it is shocking! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Oh look....what a surprise  

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Oh look....what a surprise  

The 1976 date record of 33.5C is sure to go.

Edited by Relativistic

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

It’s a lovely day outside, the warm conditions even aided a few extra yards on my drives down driving range!Absolutely dreading the next two weeks of cold and damp weather.

I don't think it will be that bad. Just a return to westerly winds, breezy, changeable and cooler weather, you know, normal British summer weather, not this Mediterranean garbage we have at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The hot conditions are wide spread today with 30c reached in Wales and SW Scotland.

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Depends where you are. Humidity is definitely higher here (around 50%-45% minimum forecast for today.) And with temperatures around 28/29°C, it definitely feels hot and humid to me. And of course, coastal areas will have higher humidity than inland areas.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Yesterday it was 27.2C with a dewpoint of 20.1C here. Very humid.

Today although cooler, has been above 70% for most of the day. Right now its 77%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Nice day today. Supposedly reached 30 degrees but it felt quite cool in the shade compared to what I expected, because of the rather strong breeze this afternoon. Not even close to hot and with very low humidity it was just a nice day.

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted

Feel absolutely zapped. Hate this weather.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

Not even close to hot

Ok....right

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Feel absolutely zapped. Hate this weather.

weird this time next week, we'll be wanting it warmer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
44 minutes ago, markyo said:

Ok....right

It just doesn't have that stuffy feel to it at all. Unlike 6/29 last year which was 30 degrees but felt different than this. Much stuffier. The breeze and low humidity today makes it very tolerable and quite comfortable.

Posted
27 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

It just doesn't have that stuffy feel to it at all. Unlike 6/29 last year which was 30 degrees but felt different than this. Much stuffier. The breeze and low humidity today makes it very tolerable and quite comfortable.

I personally would class today as hot, not overly humid i agree,not that stuffy but certainly as hot as many would like. For many tonight is going to be a tough one sadly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Must admit I have noticed it's not overly humid when compared to the hot days before 25th July last year.

• Like 1