Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There is a stagnant patch over very hot air (15-20c 850) that has been in situ a while. Verkhoyansk is in this circle I’ve crudely drawn below ?? 

CDC7EEC2-A38D-4D25-840B-21D1E7BE0F25.thumb.jpeg.f61bc24a2c6265436a06b0ee214be88e.jpeg

Climate change definitely. But it's not as cold as I thought in june. here are the average tmeps. Though in terms of minima.....

 

 

Edited by qwertyK
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

Think we might have the first 30C day of the year next week wednesday or something. I'm not looking forward to it because lots of humidity so it will be difficult to get to sleep and 29C is going to feel like 34C according to BBC weather.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

There is a stagnant patch over very hot air (15-20c 850) that has been in situ a while. Verkhoyansk is in this circle I’ve crudely drawn below ?? 

CDC7EEC2-A38D-4D25-840B-21D1E7BE0F25.thumb.jpeg.f61bc24a2c6265436a06b0ee214be88e.jpeg

If only we could have a stagnant area of hot air stuck over us like that...I guess that's one of the joys of a continental location, even that far north. I'm sure the residents of Verkhoyansk are appreciating it after getting through another brutal winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After all the rain of the last few days, I'll gladly take 10 days of high pressure, sunshine and no rain. It is June after all... 

A sign of a good summer is the grass going brown and in the last few days, it's been turning green again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

9BDC7AA6-7FF6-41C4-8937-6B2C7E2B14E3.thumb.jpeg.44fbfc597f1636db6944452ad8ed4602.jpeg

Er - what in gods name is this?! It’s forecast to reach 37c in Verkhoyansk on Sunday. For those that don’t know, this is the town (along with Oymyakon) in Siberia that holds the cold record for the northern hemisphere at -67.8c in winter. It’s located at 67N - which is this line below. Inside the arctic circle. Getting a run of days that hot at that far north is just mind boggling. No wonder there is a crisis of melting permafrost in the arctic with weather like this happening far too regularly.

B1A9D1CB-75E2-4433-ABA3-21D178D25E28.thumb.jpeg.efeb75dd1153ecb7d76844727506c10d.jpeg

The record there is 34.0C in June and 37.3C outright, so exceptional weather there and potentially the warmest ever.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MP-R said:

After all the rain of the last few days, I'll gladly take 10 days of high pressure, sunshine and no rain. It is June after all... 

A sign of a good summer is the grass going brown and in the last few days, it's been turning green again.

I think the conditions by mid June sort of determine how thing pan out for the rest of summer. 
 

Summer 2020 so far indicates a mixed one, with hot and dry periods mixed with cool dull and damp days. Not a classic like 2018 or 2013, but probably something similar to 2017.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think the conditions by mid June sort of determine how thing pan out for the rest of summer. 
 

Summer 2020 so far indicates a mixed one, with hot and dry periods mixed with cool dull and damp days. Not a classic like 2018 or 2013, but probably something similar to 2017.

Could be, especially if La Nina rears its ugly ahead and scuppers August. Although, mid June 2017 was quite different to much of the rest of the summer so who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites

After the amount of rain that's fallen across a wide area this week if I hear person moaning this time next week we need some rain, or my lawn is brown I'll scream!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

If only we could have a stagnant area of hot air stuck over us like that...I guess that's one of the joys of a continental location, even that far north. I'm sure the residents of Verkhoyansk are appreciating it after getting through another brutal winter.

I'm sure they are aren't, given half of russia is built on permafrost. This weather is not natural. Climate change isn't as clear cut as places just getting warmer. It juts means it becomes more erratic, with ridiculously crazy weather events like this. Besides russia didn't have a brutal winter this year, it was actually their warmest on record. 

 

Glad we don't have that here, we've had two summers in a row with hot weather and this month apepars to be a little below average tempreature wise so far. Perhaps 30C next week. Overall though as much as I complain about the UK weather, at least we won't suffer that much tempreature wise from climate change, although flooding is a different story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Could be, especially if La Nina rears its ugly ahead and scuppers August. Although, mid June 2017 was quite different to much of the rest of the summer so who knows.

I think August might end up being the hottest month. Just a feeling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

I think August might end up being the hottest month. Just a feeling. 

Well that would be a welcome change, as long as it’s not because July was a poor month lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

9BDC7AA6-7FF6-41C4-8937-6B2C7E2B14E3.thumb.jpeg.44fbfc597f1636db6944452ad8ed4602.jpeg

Er - what in gods name is this?! It’s forecast to reach 37c in Verkhoyansk on Sunday. For those that don’t know, this is the town (along with Oymyakon) in Siberia that holds the cold record for the northern hemisphere at -67.8c in winter. It’s located at 67N - which is this line below. Inside the arctic circle. Getting a run of days that hot at that far north is just mind boggling. No wonder there is a crisis of melting permafrost in the arctic with weather like this happening far too regularly.

B1A9D1CB-75E2-4433-ABA3-21D178D25E28.thumb.jpeg.efeb75dd1153ecb7d76844727506c10d.jpeg

Looks beautiful. Maybe a camdidate for a summer holiday next year to escape the woeful climate here.

Dismal October day out there today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect this time next week i will look back on this thurs weather with great fondness and sadness that the comfortable conditions will have gone..least fingers crossed its not a extended heat blast.? And a lot more rain is needed to top up the Cross Pennies reservoirs,the Crowden set are nearing 50% full which is low for mid June

Edited by markyo
Link to post
Share on other sites

No rain today apart from a bit of drizzle let alone let alone the possibility of any storms. So that’s a week of watch if everyone else get something while here it’s been dry and not even that warm all week. 

Edited by matt111
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ton of rain here yet again, this month has exceeded the entire month's average by about 20mm now so a veritable wet month and today sees the return of those very suppressed temps, not impressed. I doubt there'll be enough good weather in the next 10 days to compensate for the awful weather this month when we consider the 3rd-12th which was basically November. June is a write off for me personally. Roll on July!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Climate change definitely. But it's not as cold as I thought in june. here are the average tmeps. Though in terms of minima.....

 

 

It’s average max in July isn’t too dissimilar to London - long way from any water helps boost those temperatures! Summer isn’t usually too bad for 3 months but it quickly starts to change back to a winter wonderland through September!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

After the amount of rain that's fallen across a wide area this week if I hear person moaning this time next week we need some rain, or my lawn is brown I'll scream!

Grass around here still is brown and parched lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

After the amount of rain that's fallen across a wide area this week if I hear person moaning this time next week we need some rain, or my lawn is brown I'll scream!

I’ll lay them out. ?

We need some hot temps now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ll lay them out. ?

We need some hot temps now. 

I've had enough rain here to justify another month with no rain!

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Well, they could.. because that's hail, not snow.

It even mentions hail on the article but they decided to use snow in the headline

Edited by matt111
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qwertyK said:

Heatwave in the Arctic , but SNOW in the west midlands. Can't make it up 

spacer.png
WWW.MIRROR.CO.UK

A sudden summer storm covered a street with snow despite the local council saying the temperature was 16C - meanwhile the Met Office...

 

Useless papers, they're rags, hail!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm liking the look of next week's weather! 
After all of the work I have done to my garden, I can finally sit back and enjoy it in some heat & sunshine!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don't think anyone can complain about the early summer weather being boring so far. A whole bunch of storms now looking to follow up with a hot spell!

My kids have never seen so much lightning. Got some convective weather fans in the making here in Coventry!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...