Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s tiresome isn’t it. Lol

But a six day spell of tempreatures above 34c is unprecedented. At least, not within the records we have. There's a great website, London-weather.eu which looks at the weather in London all months since 1900. Even in the early to mid 2000s, these tempreatures were pretty infrequent, the only real ones being 2003 or 2006. Sure we've had them before, but not at this frequency. Three years in a row where we've had high tempreatures like this. Of course, it doesn't compare to 2018, or even 2019 to be fair in terms of it was a much warmer summer, but its still notable. And look around at what eles is happenign - remember that arctic heatwave in Siberia where they had tempreatures of up to 38C in June? Or the heatwave in the southwestern USA where the worlds' highest tempreature record may well have been broken? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Says the person who complains when it gets above 20...

21c today.....not complained at all!! ...Fact check

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
36 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

But a six day spell of tempreatures above 34c is unprecedented. At least, not within the records we have. There's a great website, London-weather.eu which looks at the weather in London all months since 1900. Even in the early to mid 2000s, these tempreatures were pretty infrequent, the only real ones being 2003 or 2006. Sure we've had them before, but not at this frequency. Three years in a row where we've had high tempreatures like this. Of course, it doesn't compare to 2018, or even 2019 to be fair in terms of it was a much warmer summer, but its still notable. And look around at what eles is happenign - remember that arctic heatwave in Siberia where they had tempreatures of up to 38C in June? Or the heatwave in the southwestern USA where the worlds' highest tempreature record may well have been broken? 

All very true and valid; please remember that those of us on here that like hot weather in summer (shockingly selfish and abhorrent people, that we are) are not denying climate change in any way. Just wishing climate change comments would be posted in the relevant threads and not on this one, every single time there’s any hot weather, whatsoever. Cheers.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 5

Posted
22 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

A lovely evening here in Prague, still 26°C at midnight, proper summer. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Aperol Spritz’s sat out on the terrace. Chatted to a good friend and my Mum earlier online, they both said that the wind was awful today in Berkshire and Middlesex and it didn’t feel very warm. Yuck, nothing worse than howling winds in summer, well, that and drizzle. Experienced too much of both in many UK August’s.

Perfect if you’re outside enjoying the weather and a good drink. Even better if your retire to an air conditioned house

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Perfect if you’re outside enjoying the weather and a good drink. Even better if your retire to an air conditioned house

No need for air conditioning this evening, the temperature has dropped here to a much cooler 18°C now with a breeze

• Like 1

Posted

I wish climate change arrives quickly. So we get a proper summer instead of the boring cold windy wet insipid dross that plagues us each year. I do get annoyed when weather forecasters announce in June that the jet stream is usually far North. Reality is it is far far South and we are bombarded with unpleasantness.  

• Like 1

Posted

Summer moans, well, missed all the best storms even after having the 'best' heat.

As for future threads, not much will change as we will still be surrounded by water.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, qwertyK said:

Looks like this might be the last week of summer - at least here in the south. Next Saturday here in Essex will see highs of 16C! Typical late august weather

16 was our maximum here today, with frequent heavy blustery showers! The rest of the week doesn't look much better here, so I guess my summer is already over, not that Ive had much summer this summer lol.

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

21c today.....not complained at all!! ...Fact check

Fair enough! It's only got to 16C here, with frequent heavy showers. Felt chilly, damp and distinctly autumnal. Already missing the warmer drier weather.

Posted
29 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I wish climate change arrives quickly. So we get a proper summer instead of the boring cold windy wet insipid dross that plagues us each year. I do get annoyed when weather forecasters announce in June that the jet stream is usually far North. Reality is it is far far South and we are bombarded with unpleasantness.  

It would be nice if we got summers like 2013 and 2018 more often, but then of course the climate change brigade would be driving down our throats.

I would love it if the UK had a Mediterranean climate with 25C summers and 15C winters. Would be wonderful but it will probably not happen for thousands of years sadly.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It would be nice if we got summers like 2013 and 2018 more often, but then of course the climate change brigade would be driving down our throats.

I would love it if the UK had a Mediterranean climate with 25C summers and 15C winters. Would be wonderful but it will probably not happen for thousands of years sadly.

Aslong as that 25c is in the south becuase if its 25c up north we will be sweltering at a 30c summer. Air con units would go through the roof. The tropical nights are definitely something we would have to adapt to!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
50 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

This *is* climate change. In the past 2 years we have had extraordinary injections of heat into the UK. If you think rapid climate change will mean warm settled summers then you’re in for a shock.

• Like 2

Posted

Outlooks bad for anybody wanting warm and dry weather for the next week or two (cool and unsettled). Would be nice to have some warm sunny weather in late August and early September, after what has been, let's be honest, a pretty poor summer with little warmth, but we can't change the weather, so we'll just have to put up with it. I always start to feel a little depressed at this time of year, what with the nights rapidly drawing in and the weather getting cooler. Today felt distinctly chilly and autumnal after getting used to the warmth of recent weeks. Not looking forward to autumn and winter!

Posted
34 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

This *is* climate change. In the past 2 years we have had extraordinary injections of heat into the UK. If you think rapid climate change will mean warm settled summers then you’re in for a shock.

I remember hearing a few years ago that we were going to be getting hotter drier summers and milder wetter winters. The latter has definitely happened but I haven't noticed the summers getting any better. If anything they seem to be getting worse!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

My neighbor has decided to have a barbecue... in the pouring rain... is he a relative of Markyo.....?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Wasn't there a big storm across the West Midlands, 5 years ago today? 

Yes. Also the warmest day of the month. The storms really developed just before hitting Bristol, then exploded as they trundled north. I remember being quite surprised by the whole day as the previous days had just been cloudy and muggy and I wasn't expecting the plume to be as far west.

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

My neighbor has decided to have a barbecue... in the pouring rain... is he a relative of Markyo.....?

Any Lancastrian relatives were banished long ago!...

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
18 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I remember a volcano erupted back in 2010 and didn’t cause any major cooling. Okay, 2010 was quite a cold year, but then 2011 was the warmest on record.

VEI4 eruption, you don't really get a meaningful climatic effect until VEI6. I think the guy talking about Yellowstone is alluding to VEI8 (though i'm not sure of his point). 

On the whole summer point i think people forget that 2018 was both warmer and drier than average. Indeed only 2011, 2012 and 2015 were meaningfully cooler than average this decade. The rest have been mixed. A sample of 1 good, 3 bad and 6 mixed really is not that abnormal and i'm being very harsh here in marking 2013 and 2014 down for their June and August CET respectively. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

So I take it people prefer this weather to the hot spell,when every other post was moaning about it.

Not me. I had no problem with the heat and much prefer seasonal weather. I’d welcome the ferocity if the Atlantic more after the equinox.

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

So I take it people prefer this weather to the hot spell,when every other post was moaning about it.

Folk certainly prefer the good nights sleep this weather brings

• Like 2

Posted

Yellow warning of wind

Areas affected: North West England

Starts: 09:00 on Tue 25 Aug

Ends: 12:00 on Wed 26 Aug

Be aware

Tuesday and Wednesday sees another likely period of strong winds and gales, with some disruption to transport possible.

- Some delays to road, rail, air and ferry transport are likely
- Probably some bus and train services affected, with some journeys taking longer
- Delays for high-sided vehicles on exposed routes and bridges likely
- It’s likely that some coastal routes, sea fronts and coastal communities affected by spray and/or large waves
- Some short term loss of power and other services is possible

Issued at: 10:20 on Sat 22 Aug

Last updated: 1 hour ago

Posted

Sorry, double post.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
42 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Not me. I had no problem with the heat and much prefer seasonal weather. I’d welcome the ferocity if the Atlantic more after the equinox.

Me neither. Only problem about the heat is it makes the bedroom very warm at night and so it’s hard to get a good nights sleep. But really I prefer low 20’s warmth which is still very seasonal and is my favourite weather in summer. But that has been in very short supply this summer.

• Like 1