Jump to content

Recommended Posts

With summer drawing to a close and little sign of anything particularly decent on the horizon I'm going to pass my final rating on this summer.

June saw 3 hot days with a little storm I had to drive to intercept over Basingstoke way which produced a little bit of thunder and some torrential rain. The hot plume came to absolutely nothing in my location.

July was the most abysmal summer month in recent memory.

August of course saw the fairly lengthy heatwave and a storm in my location which was very rumbleiferous but didn't produce a single visible CG or IC strike. 

Based on my very simplistic parameters (out of 5 for heat and out of 5 for storms) I'm happy to give this summer a whopping 4/10. (3/5 for heat and 1/5 for storms)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

It's not the fact we are getting more heatwaves that is concerning. It's that we managed to hit 100F out of nowhere. We've hit 100F 3 times in recorded history, and two of those occasions were in the space of little over a year.

The ease at which we're hitting excessive temperatures and smashing records is very concerning.

Yes i understand that, but we are hardly hitting those temps for long periods. You seem to ignore the fact, the majority of summer 2020 has been either cool and cloudy or very unsettled.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah on the whole it’s been a poor summer, apart from the end of June and the first two weeks of August it has been rubbish here. Even the August hot spell was fairly cloudy (with no storms). Nowhere near as bad as 2012 but one to forget I think. 
 

Feels very Autumnal today with heavy rain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes i understand that, but we are hardly hitting those temps for long periods. You seem to ignore the fact, the majority of summer 2020 has been either cool and cloudy or very unsettled.

We just had a week of 34C+ temperatures...  If that isn't exceptional I don't know what is!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Summary from IMBY in Slovakia -

June - only 2 days of over 30C and 160mm rainfall - no heatwaves and plenty of thunderstorms,mean temperature about 1981-2010 mean saved by high Tmin because of persistant cloud.

July - only 1 day of over 30C and 120mm rainfall - no heatwaves and occasional thunderstorms,temperature just below 1981-2010 mean

August - so far 6 days of over 30C with heatwave conditions between 4-14th, rainfall so far 50mm of which 20 fell yesterday, temperatures about 1.5C over 1981-2010 mean, 2 direct thunderstorms and 3 within 10km.

Maximum temperature reached this summer in my town was 33C and for Slovakia overall 36.0C. Mean rainfall averaged from all stations will end up above average with June being spectacularly wet and as we progressed through summer it became drier and warmer. There were multiple 100mm + 24h precipitation totals with one station receiving 139mm in 3 hours in June and possibly a record breaking 189mm!!! yesterday from another one.

Regarding maximum temperatures it has been rather disappointing summer and the least hot one since I remember. Regarding rainfall it has been by far the wettest one since i remember. I have lost most of my tomatoes because of the mould and strawberries were eaten by slugs and snails. If not for the period between 4-14th August I would have rated this summer 1/10, not maybe 2.5/10

So far I have had 39 days with thunder within 15km and 14 direct hits, that is about average for my area which is one of the most thundery regions in central Europe.

Also of note is a huge regional difference we managed within Slovakia, where some SW parts still only got about 100mm rain since 1.6 and 11th warmest summer on record, and parts of East are on nearly 600mm!!! with summer being only average and by far the least warm in last 5 years. 

PS: attached are images of 2 hour stationary thunderstorm yesterday that produced 190mm of rain on one amateur weather station(probably lower skill level) and my town thunderstorm summary this year.

 

Last comment - what would I do if we at least manage winter within 1981-2010 mean with much above average precipitation 🙂

 

Hope all of you had at least some duration of preferred summer weather in 2020. 

117825957_10217876604454451_753819890124894640_n.jpg

117975924_4527307423976525_1175395941015517451_o.jpg

blesky.PNG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

We just had a week of 34C+ temperatures...  If that isn't exceptional I don't know what is!

I'm not arguing against that, but to me, summers of 2018, 1995, or 1983 stand out as better summers due to the longevity of the sunny periods.

It has been very hot recently, and nobody is denying that, but the summer as a whole has been poor, even in London. One week of intense heat will not rescue a crap summer.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I'm not arguing against that, but to me, summers of 2018, 1995, or 1983 stand out as better summers due to the longevity of the sunny periods.

It has been very hot recently, and nobody is denying that, but the summer as a whole has been poor, even in London. One week of intense heat will not rescue a crap summer.

Yes I agree this summer has been poor.  However, when hot periods do occur they are far more intense than would be the case if there was no AGW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices 

What's quite interesting is that Summer 2020 is currently on 201 for us to 17th August, compared to 2012 which scored 194 for us, yet for Manchester 2012 was considerably worse than this year.

2007 is an example of the opposite. It scored 221 here yet only 174 in Manchester yet it was seen as a poor summer almost everywhere just like this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

We just had a week of 34C+ temperatures...  If that isn't exceptional I don't know what is!

Agree that it was exceptional and these high temperatures seem to occur more in any heatwaves that the UK gets. One hot week out of 10, so far, isn’t that great, though, with often cool and largely dull weather predominating (with regional variations on that theme).

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

With summer drawing to a close and little sign of anything particularly decent on the horizon I'm going to pass my final rating on this summer.

June saw 3 hot days with a little storm I had to drive to intercept over Basingstoke way which produced a little bit of thunder and some torrential rain. The hot plume came to absolutely nothing in my location.

July was the most abysmal summer month in recent memory.

August of course saw the fairly lengthy heatwave and a storm in my location which was very rumbleiferous but didn't produce a single visible CG or IC strike. 

Based on my very simplistic parameters (out of 5 for heat and out of 5 for storms) I'm happy to give this summer a whopping 4/10. (3/5 for heat and 1/5 for storms)

 

Yep - I'm sorry, but that really hot day in July and one week of heat in August isn't going to save this summer from being very poor. All the best UK summers have been warm and sunny for the majority of the 3 month period. 1 week out of 12 isn't good. Plus the total lack of sun at times has been really depressing. So many 8/8 cloud days. 

4/10 for me.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this summer is a sign of what's to come in future years: all or nothing summers. The UK is becoming a more obvious battleground between a more energised Atlantic and high intensity heat on mainland Europe. Reports show that the UK is warming differently depending on where you are: the SE is seeing hotter 'hot days' in summer but 'cool days' remain, where the NW is seeing warmer 'cold days' in winter but isn't seeing much summer warming. Not the best place if you want proper seasonal variation although the  daylight hours probably make up for some of that.

That pattern seems to continue, with the SE seeing some very hot days whilst the rest of the UK has breezy and showery weather. Summer 2018 was an exception which I feel is a better summer: less intense heat but everyone enjoys it for longer with high pressure right over the UK. 

At the end of the day we'll just have to live with what we're dished up with!

Edited by Bradley in Kent
Grammatical error
Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer index for London so far stands at 289, exactly what you would expect for a typical summer. The figure has mostly been boosted by the warm August, as it hasn't been particularly dry or sunny.

As the rest of August looks cooler with more rain days, I expect that figure to decrease. We have already reached our average number of rain days for the season (23) with 2 weeks of cool/wet weather still to come.

Edited by B87
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Yep - I'm sorry, but that really hot day in July and one week of heat in August isn't going to save this summer from being very poor. All the best UK summers have been warm and sunny for the majority of the 3 month period. 1 week out of 12 isn't good. Plus the total lack of sun at times has been really depressing. So many 8/8 cloud days. 

4/10 for me.

Yeah, I agree. 

But, why then do other folk ignore this, and only observe the very hot weather, which only lasted for a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't lose all hope for this summer.  There are some signs that high pressure could return for September, which I don't think anyone would complain about!  Perhaps a year similar to 2011 with a warm September and October?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Earthshine said:

I wouldn't lose all hope for this summer.  There are some signs that high pressure could return for September, which I don't think anyone would complain about!  Perhaps a year similar to 2011 with a warm September and October?

Wouldn't mind a back to front September 2011 with the heatwave at the beginning. The month for the most part was very unsettled with strong to severe gales in the first half so that would be more fitting to the second half of the month.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yeah, I agree. 

But, why then do other folk ignore this, and only observe the very hot weather, which only lasted for a week.

Not really sure I've seen anyone doing that or saying that the one week heatwave means summer overall was amazing though?

I'd probably rate this summer as not far from average here, maybe a touch below, so about 4 - 5 out of 10. That is taking everything into account, including the hot spell, and the poorer spells. We had some pleasant weather in July when it was worse further north (even on the North coast of Devon/Cornwall).
Sunshine has perhaps been slightly below par though.

On a personal note, not very good for thunder, except a storm a few miles away on Thursday (that I mostly missed seeing!) which gave 60-70mm to a few villages 5 miles from here, while we had 1mm. In fact it's been quite dry since June (with various light falls of rain/showers, but nothing too significant). Our lawn and the small field behind went quite brown again. Though that will change with showers yesterday, today, and the rain tomorrow.


It's clear from the Met Office anomaly maps that it hasn't been that far below average here and areas further north have feared worse.

Edited by Evening thunder
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Thunder has saved this summer for me. July can be binned but June and August thundery episodes are in the memory banks.

Completely agree. After the thunderless drought years we endured, this summer has been truly amazing for storms.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

Another god awful day. Persistent rain.

Miserable. 

20200818_170953.jpg

lovely here today unbroken sunshine and 33c

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not looking forward to the high winds forecast for the next two or three days.  We’ve had a lot of rain here and the ground is soaked, and with all the trees in full leaf I can see some damage being caused.  This summer has possibly been the most vivid example yet of the change to more extreme and even violent weather which climate change is predicted to bring about.  I wonder wether next year will bring even more record breaking temperatures, out of season gales and monsoon rains to the UK....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...