Jump to content

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Interesting stats for those that say we have good summer down here in London definitely not. Sunshine is main metric I go off and it’s not good enough. 

 

Yes, it’s been a poor one. If you took away the recent two week hot period, summer would be very poor, even in London. 
 

Way too many cloudy days. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

I'd class Summer as a good one here, despite sunshine hours being on the low side. It has been extremely dry, currently running drier than the Summer of 2018.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would hardly call it a great summer here but it’s been a very dry one with very little rain to speak of. More days reaching 30°C in a single summer than I’ve had here before too despite it not being overly warm a lot of the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So we've gone from one extreme to another. Very dry and very hot to very wet and cool.

I don't mind if we don't get another heatwave before the summer is out but I want some dry, pleasant, sunny weather back!

Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of the summer as a whole, for here in London, it's been a mixed bag. We've had some very hot weather but also some dull and disappointingly cool weather at times. However, we had an exceptional Spring. 

As far as temperatures go, when looking back over the last month or so I don't think we can complain too much. Here are the maximas for Heathrow since about the 13th of July. If we consider 24c is the average maxima for this time of year in London, then we had 21 days above average over that period, with 7 of them above 30c:

1870881389_Screenshot2020-08-17at17_26_28.thumb.png.7b68cf73b19ad4990817784069c85ba2.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its certainly been a dull summer here with only 358.8hrs so far. The 1981-2010 average is 567hrs. The dullest summers of record for us are:

1987: 413hrs
2012: 444hrs
1980: 445hrs
1998: 473hrs
1982: 482hrs

We need 55hrs in the last 14 days just to not be the dullest ever and 86 hours just to get out of the bottom three.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/07/2020 at 08:02, cheeky_monkey said:

im pretty chuffed with my prediction for summer in my neck of the woods..i went for a cool and rather wet June and first half of July..before it becomes warmer and drier thereafter (this was all based on a developing la nina) looking at the models it seems as after mid July the weather will settle into a warmer drier pattern

well what do you know everything has gone pretty much to plan did turn much warmer albeit in the third week of July..currently in a nice hot spell of 30c temperatures..may record my first above average month since January 2019

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a real mixed bag in Spring/Summer 2020 with a fantastic April and May. However, if we’re talking just summer, it’s been a poor one. A generally cool drizzly June and horribly cool dull (but dry) July. A hot first half of August but it’s cool and wet again now. 

One severe heatwave which lasts a week or two doesn’t constitute a good summer.

Edited by Damienfire🔥
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going off the models and general pattern expected next 10 days which take us near to the end of August, overall Summer 2020 will go down as in the 'rather poor' category here. Sunshine levels have been abysmal, July was shocking, temperature probably end up a bit above average, but apart from last week, and a short shot of heat in late June, they have been only just above, at or a little below average. First half of June was chilly, July consistently cool, and the latter part of August looks average or a little below at least on the max temp front. Rainfall wise yet another very wet one, a couple of shortlived drier periods, with some real deluges notably in June when it was thundery, July brought alot of moderate rainfall, we had significant deluge early this month and lots more rain on the way.

A few days of heat does not make a good summer!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

At least locally it seems quite impossible to get a drier than average summer month and more anomalous heavy rain events creeping in every year such as yesterday's 36mm deluge. June was dull at 136 hours and July data isn't available yet but may have been somewhat lower. Not a good summer in my opinion as it was mostly cloudy and cold punctuated with sudden bursts of hot and/humid weather with very little consistency, very little average conditions. 22 degrees and scattered clouds is fine summer weather for me and this year lacked that completely really.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer of two halves here; much of June and early July saw largely cool, often cloudy and very wet conditions, with some thunderstorms too. An improvement came around mid July with more sunshine and warmer conditions. August so far has been largely warm-hot and often sunny, with a few thunderstorms.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So far I'd put it down as an average summer overall, with an exceptional heatwave in early August. We've had a warm and wet June, a cool, dry Juiy and a very warm August with average rainfall. Interestingly, all three months have seen above average sunshine here, in contrast to London, only 40 miles to the east of us.

Edited by Stargazer
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd put this Summer as poor, not the worst I've experienced but certainly in the bottom 10. As Damian says a few days of hot weather doesn't make it a great one. I'm surprised we even managed those to be honest given how shocking the other parts of the season was. It's been an extremely cloudy Summer here for the most part as well. And July was especially cool along with it.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Going off the models and general pattern expected next 10 days which take us near to the end of August, overall Summer 2020 will go down as in the 'rather poor' category here. Sunshine levels have been abysmal, July was shocking, temperature probably end up a bit above average, but apart from last week, and a short shot of heat in late June, they have been only just above, at or a little below average. First half of June was chilly, July consistently cool, and the latter part of August looks average or a little below at least on the max temp front. Rainfall wise yet another very wet one, a couple of shortlived drier periods, with some real deluges notably in June when it was thundery, July brought alot of moderate rainfall, we had significant deluge early this month and lots more rain on the way.

A few days of heat does not make a good summer!

Rather poor? We would call that a disastrous summer in London. Although I do understand your normal is different it’s interesting how our perception varies on our location as you’d expect.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really poor sunshine levels have let it down here, there have been a few hot days and some good storms and plenty of dry spells. Just the sunshine, since early June it's been very lacking. April and May were the summer as far as that was concerned. 

It's certainly been more of a summer than 2019/20 was a winter though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Really poor sunshine levels have let it down here, there have been a few hot days and some good storms and plenty of dry spells. Just the sunshine, since early June it's been very lacking. April and May were the summer as far as that was concerned. 

It's certainly been more of a summer than 2019/20 was a winter though.

That's not saying much :oldlaugh: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester Summer Indices 

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190
1936 190
1988 191
2010 191
1966 192
1998 192
2017 192
1953 193
2020 193 (up to 16th August)
1963 194
1993 194
2009 194
1902 195
1915 196
1981 196
1928 197
1962 197
1964 197
2004 197
1952 198
2000 198
1930 199
1974 199
1979 199

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Damienfire🔥 said:

Been a real mixed bag in Spring/Summer 2020 with a fantastic April and May. However, if we’re talking just summer, it’s been a poor one. A generally cool drizzly June and horribly cool dull (but dry) July. A hot first half of August but it’s cool and wet again now. 

One severe heatwave which lasts a week or two doesn’t constitute a good summer.

My thoughts exactly.

 

Spring still had some chilly days, despite the warm sunshine. It was still cold in the shade until later into April, not that I'm complaining. April and May were both nice and sunny, and long periods of clear blue skies.

Early June was ok, and 4 days in the second half of June, but since then its been rather poor. One or two days in July and the very hot first half of August. August will be remembered as the best month of summer 2020.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Going off the models and general pattern expected next 10 days which take us near to the end of August, overall Summer 2020 will go down as in the 'rather poor' category here. Sunshine levels have been abysmal, July was shocking, temperature probably end up a bit above average, but apart from last week, and a short shot of heat in late June, they have been only just above, at or a little below average. First half of June was chilly, July consistently cool, and the latter part of August looks average or a little below at least on the max temp front. Rainfall wise yet another very wet one, a couple of shortlived drier periods, with some real deluges notably in June when it was thundery, July brought alot of moderate rainfall, we had significant deluge early this month and lots more rain on the way.

A few days of heat does not make a good summer!

Lol exactly, but try telling that to the likes of Markyo and others who will claim 'this is worrying, we are getting more heatwaves' and the rest.

There's been some nice weather, and usable days, but on the whole its been disappointing for sunshine levels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Summer of two halves here; much of June and early July saw largely cool, often cloudy and very wet conditions, with some thunderstorms too. An improvement came around mid July with more sunshine and warmer conditions. August so far has been largely warm-hot and often sunny, with a few thunderstorms.

Yes, Latvia has some really good weather. My missus is back there with her family, and they have a number of days in the 25-30c bracket with clear sunshine. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol exactly, but try telling that to the likes of Markyo and others who will claim 'this is worrying, we are getting more heatwaves' and the rest.

There's been some nice weather, and usable days, but on the whole its been disappointing for sunshine levels.

It's not the fact we are getting more heatwaves that is concerning. It's that we managed to hit 100F out of nowhere. We've hit 100F 3 times in recorded history, and two of those occasions were in the space of little over a year.

The ease at which we're hitting excessive temperatures and smashing records is very concerning.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...