Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
    7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

    You might get one this year. I can smell a colder winter. Trust me, its going to happen. If by Christmas, we are still at 10-12c days, you can sue me!

    I'll sue you!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.7k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

    Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

    This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: London
  • Location: London
    6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

    I'll sue you!

    I'll be out of pocket when I tuck into my turkey and Christmas pudding.

    I'm predicting -1c for Christmas Day this year, with clear blue skies.  No snow though.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rotherhithe, 5.8M ASL
  • Location: Rotherhithe, 5.8M ASL

    Today has felt like an October day in London. Horrible, dark and drizzle and feels very cool. Forecast 00z this morning to actual a complete disaster from ECM up to 7°C too high.

    1A355F5C-E547-4BF1-BAE7-EA02B21283C3.thumb.png.1955654970b8bed584b024483996312c.png3C93C5B3-FCB6-4B8D-A49B-44E967DB2387.thumb.png.23f52d6364eced1ac907ab806f22d433.png

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Near Romford Essex.
  • Location: Near Romford Essex.
    27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

    Today has felt like an October day in London. Horrible, dark and drizzle and feels very cool. Forecast 00z this morning to actual a complete disaster from ECM up to 7°C too high.

    1A355F5C-E547-4BF1-BAE7-EA02B21283C3.thumb.png.1955654970b8bed584b024483996312c.png3C93C5B3-FCB6-4B8D-A49B-44E967DB2387.thumb.png.23f52d6364eced1ac907ab806f22d433.png

     

    That's a massive oops from the ECM.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
    3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

    Today has felt like an October day in London. Horrible, dark and drizzle and feels very cool. Forecast 00z this morning to actual a complete disaster from ECM up to 7°C too high.

    1A355F5C-E547-4BF1-BAE7-EA02B21283C3.thumb.png.1955654970b8bed584b024483996312c.png3C93C5B3-FCB6-4B8D-A49B-44E967DB2387.thumb.png.23f52d6364eced1ac907ab806f22d433.png

     

    Yep much cooler than expected in London Town on Friday. Big shock to the system after the recent heat.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)

    We have just had 6 consecutive days between 33c and 36c. Looking back to the hottest spell of the epic 1995 summer, and these were the run of temps at Heathrow that year:

    29th Jul: 30.6c

    30th Jul: 31.2c

    31st July: 32.6c

    1st Aug: 34.3c

    2nd Aug: 33c

    3rd Aug: 32.2c

    There were then 13 further days in August above 27c, 6 of them over 30c. What a month that August was. The July was also excellent overall.

    Edited by danm
    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    4 minutes ago, danm said:

    We have just had 6 consecutive days between 33c and 36c. Looking back to the hottest spell of the epic 1995 summer, and these were the run of temps at Heathrow that year:

    29th Jul: 30.6c

    30th Jul: 31.2c

    31st July: 32.6c

    1st Aug: 34.3c

    2nd Aug: 33c

    3rd Aug: 32.2c

    There were then 13 further days in August above 27c, 6 of them over 30c. What a month that August was. The July was also excellent overall.

    I wish I was old enough (only for this) to remember those two months. Although, I think we’d have been a bit worried about the summer outlook in early June if this forum was around then...

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
    6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

    I wish I was old enough (only for this) to remember those two months. Although, I think we’d have been a bit worried about the summer outlook in early June if this forum was around then...

    Yes we sometimes forget how cool that June was apart from the last few days. I was 9 years old in 1995, but have plenty of fond memories of day after day of hot and sunny weather throughout the school holidays.

    Edited by danm
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
    25 minutes ago, danm said:

    Yep much cooler than expected in London Town on Friday. Big shock to the system after the recent heat.

    I would say a big relief rather than a big shock to the system!

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
  • Location: Home: Chingford, London (NE). Work: London (Central)
    13 minutes ago, Don said:

    I would say a big relief rather than a big shock to the system!

    As much as I wanted some relief from the heat, today was too cool and dull for me.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
  • Location: Ludgershall, Wiltshire
    Just now, danm said:

    As much as I wanted some relief from the heat, today was too cool and dull for me.

    I agree it was a bit dull but temperature wise it was perfect for a power walk.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    10 hours ago, danm said:

    We have just had 6 consecutive days between 33c and 36c. Looking back to the hottest spell of the epic 1995 summer, and these were the run of temps at Heathrow that year:

    29th Jul: 30.6c

    30th Jul: 31.2c

    31st July: 32.6c

    1st Aug: 34.3c

    2nd Aug: 33c

    3rd Aug: 32.2c

    There were then 13 further days in August above 27c, 6 of them over 30c. What a month that August was. The July was also excellent overall.

    August 1995 had an average max of 27.0c in London. I'm not sure why August always struggles to match the hottest July months, when highs on average are only 0.3c cooler? 3 warmest Julys are 28.3c, 28.2c, 27.6c.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary!
  • Location: Cambridge, UK
    14 hours ago, Daniel* said:

    Today has felt like an October day in London. Horrible, dark and drizzle and feels very cool. Forecast 00z this morning to actual a complete disaster from ECM up to 7°C too high.

    1A355F5C-E547-4BF1-BAE7-EA02B21283C3.thumb.png.1955654970b8bed584b024483996312c.png3C93C5B3-FCB6-4B8D-A49B-44E967DB2387.thumb.png.23f52d6364eced1ac907ab806f22d433.png

     

    Been an absolute disaster here too. Shouldn’t moan after all the heat, but the last 4 days have been the darkest and gloomiest summer days I can remember. Total cloud cover all day every day, temps no higher than 19c.....as you say I’ve had forecast maxes of 25-28c here the last few days and not got close at all. Major model and tv forecast bust. The cloud just isn’t breaking. West is best here. Been lovely in the NW.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
  • Location: Skirlaugh, East Yorkshire
    27 minutes ago, B87 said:

    August 1995 had an average max of 27.0c in London. I'm not sure why August always struggles to match the hottest July months, when highs on average are only 0.3c cooler? 3 warmest Julys are 28.3c, 28.2c, 27.6c.

    The sun is weaker in August, so you're never going to reach the same maximum temperatures on average. You're relying more on latent heat by then, so with warmer SSTs around the UK its the average minima that make up the difference.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield

    And the moaning and complaining really begins i can see...after what has been the hottest spell in decades some just aren't satisfied they want more. Amazing!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hounslow, London
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
  • Location: Hounslow, London
    19 minutes ago, reef said:

    The sun is weaker in August, so you're never going to reach the same maximum temperatures on average. You're relying more on latent heat by then, so with warmer SSTs around the UK its the average minima that make up the difference.

    August average max isn't noticeably lower than in July though, plus by sunshine percentage, August is the sunniest month of the year (though that has been July in recent years). 

    July: 23.5c/13.9c

    August 23.2c/13.7c

    Edited by B87
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: redcar,cleveland
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
  • Location: redcar,cleveland
    Just now, markyo said:

    And the moaning and complaining really begins i can see...after what has been the hottest spell in decades some just aren't satisfied they want more. Amazing!

    I think is in the north east near the coast are entitled to moan it’s been abysmal here. We haven’t even had a heatwave here just endless sea fog and drizzle. Same again today

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: sheffield
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,hot,cold,windy you name it
  • Location: sheffield
    1 minute ago, seabreeze86 said:

    I think is in the north east near the coast are entitled to moan it’s been abysmal here. We haven’t even had a heatwave here just endless sea fog and drizzle. Same again today

    For me that would have been heaven after the last 8 days at work!!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
  • Location: Wildwood, Stafford 104m asl
    3 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

    I think is in the north east near the coast are entitled to moan it’s been abysmal here. We haven’t even had a heatwave here just endless sea fog and drizzle. Same again today

    Aye same here recently, last 2 days didn't burn off until gone 2pm, today it's here but patchier

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic
    5 minutes ago, markyo said:

    And the moaning and complaining really begins i can see...after what has been the hottest spell in decades some just aren't satisfied they want more. Amazing!

    Wow, wanting warmth and sunshine in summer, who’d believe it? I guess it’s now a crime 🤪🤪

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
  • Location: Cleeve, North Somerset
    6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

    Wow, wanting warmth and sunshine in summer, who’d believe it? I guess it’s now a crime 🤪🤪

    Indeed lol. I think maybe this forum isn't the place for him given most of us prefer interesting or at least seasonal weather. 

    There's something cosy about a shut in day with drizzle and fog on the hills, from say mid October onwards, but not on the 15th August.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
  • Location: Staines, UK or Prague, Czech Republic
    8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

    Indeed lol. I think maybe this forum isn't the place for him given most of us prefer interesting or at least seasonal weather. 

    There's something cosy about a shut in day with drizzle and fog on the hills, from say mid October onwards, but not on the 15th August.

    Yes, I do wonder why some people are on here if all they want is average, average, average all year round. Especially in our generally boring climate, where decent summer weather isn’t the rule. Plenty of time for chilly mists and fogs, etc, they certainly do have their beauty but at the right time of year.

    Edited by stainesbloke
    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex
  • Location: Brentwood, Essex

    Is it just me or do the trees seem really autumnal? Lots of leaves have fallen off and many trees looking rather autumnal 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...