Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

the first half of last night was the hottest night I can ever recall for trying to sleep. I dozed off at some point and woke to a slightly cooler room, but holy moly, It was like sleeping in a bowl of hot soup. Dog was panting so had to remove her and put her down in the kitchen where its cooler and woke up to find the missus had also vacated to the couch in the middle of the night. Horrendous.

Same here.Had the fan going all night but the upstairs temp was already at 28C at 7.30am. Heres hoping for a storm later to cool things down, although the last lot were too far West for us which might happen again

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Maybe today eh? So frustrating on the coast though not knowing if the sea breeze will kick in at any moment!

27.6C here already, wow!

Temps much warmer at 9am universally across the South and South East however the flow along the coast is ESE already so think the Arpege is going to be 4-6c out here. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Unbelievably its temps are up nearly 3C on yesterday. @Mapantz could be another 32C if the breeze holds off. 

Arpege has 35C inland just inland from Bournemouth. 

Cloud will almost certainly stop that today.

Just checked: temps are exactly the same as yesterday for me.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1
Just now, Mapantz said:

Mind you, the cloud forecasts have been terrible around here in Portsmouth. It's been 95% sun apart from a couple of hours on Saturday morning! Sounds like you've caught a bit more down Dorset way.

8 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Mind you, the cloud forecasts have been terrible around here in Portsmouth. It's been 95% sun apart from a couple of hours on Saturday morning! Sounds like you've caught a bit more down Dorset way.

Yes. I haven't recorded a full day of sunshine since July.

16 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Flow is a bit more SE to NW, so I reckon we got several good hours of heating to come. 

Another lovely morning having breakfast outside early on. A tad warmer than this time yesterday but I think it’ll be a tall order to beat June’s maximum.

3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Already 30c at:

Stansted Airport
Marham
Mildenhall Royal Air Force Base
Bournemouth Airport
Southend-On-Sea
Cambridge

Another scorcher.

Heathrow must be asleep! Watch it take the lead soon!

Interesting to see it is hot over most of the country right now. Some stations in the borders are 26C, and south of Cumbria it's generally 27-30C on private stations except for unfavoured coastal areas, and 30C-33C across much of the south east. Unofficially of course ;)

• Like 1

It definitely feels hotter out there today at this time than it did yesterday. 

Strangely Heathrow isn't leading the pack so far this morning. London City Airport was at 30c at 11.20am, Heathrow at 29.8c. 

13 hours ago, Nick L said:

Oh yeah, me and the rest of normal folk will just go and jump in our pools 🙄

If you can suggest how to keep cool in a top floor flat, with no outdoor space, no air conditioning and just a fan to keep cool, I'm all ears.

Ps. I don't have a pool. Nor do the vast majority of people. 

"normal folk"?.... i dont think the majority live in a top floor flat! most "normal" people do have outside space... its up to them whether they get a pool or not, but a hosepipe set on "mist" will do the trick, alternatively a cold shower... for those of you unfortunate enough not to have access to outdoor space.

12 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

If you can sleep in 30 degree heat then you are among a very small minority! 🙂

These are not warm nights, they're hot and unbearable. Nowhere else in the UK consistently retains the heat as much as London does. 

easy.... just drink...

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

"normal folk"?.... i dont think the majority live in a top floor flat! most "normal" people do have outside space... its up to them whether they get a pool or not, but a hosepipe set on "mist" will do the trick, alternatively a cold shower... for those of you unfortunate enough not to have access to outdoor space.

easy.... just drink...

Everyone different, If I drink too much, I'm awake all night, and worse when it's hot

7 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Everyone different, If I drink too much, I'm awake all night, and worse when it's hot

drink puts me to sleep.... but fair enough. everyone is different.. for now, ill enjoy my last (?) day of real heat...i am unlikely to be getting 30c+ again this year...

21 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

drink puts me to sleep.... but fair enough. everyone is different.. for now, ill enjoy my last (?) day of real heat...i am unlikely to be getting 30c+ again this year...

I'm really not comfortable with the idea of seriously suggesting self-medicating with alcohol.

Besides, alcohol may help you get to sleep initially, but it causes you to wake up early, and sleep you do get is of poor quality.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2
25 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm really not comfortable with the idea of seriously suggesting self-medicating with alcohol.

Besides, alcohol may help you get to sleep initially, but it causes you to wake up early, and sleep you do get is of poor quality.

Depends how much you have 🤣

Very warm nights here in Prague too, however I’ve not found sleeping too difficult, despite my flat feeling like a greenhouse due to its big windows and glass doors. Drinking lots of water, having a cool shower before bed, putting feet in iced water before bed seems to help, too. Not long until more normal temperatures arrive, for those that are suffering.

• Like 1

33c @ 1pm being reported at:

Luton Airport
Staverton Private
Mildenhall Royal Air Force Base
Cambridge

How high will we get today? Could we see another 35c without any cloud interference?