Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK @damianslaw you've tempted me into it.  Mike's forecast for summer 2020: In my view, the building blocks are already built now given the exceptional spring we have had this year in the UK

Beautiful noctilucent clouds this evening here in Prague 

This seems to be a facet of our changing climate - in the 1970s and 1980s, it took exceptional synoptics like those of late June 1976 to get temperatures approaching the mid-30s Celsius, and most heat

Posted Images

A few stations here in Torquay reporting 29C with most around 25C-27C+ around the bay. Its not inconcievable that some places in Torquay reached 29C today as the whole place is hills and valleys.

A bit too hot for me though, the ENE breeze was welcome but the air was too warm.

 

Torquay.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TQWX said:

A few stations here in Torquay reporting 29C with most around 25C-27C+ around the bay. Its not inconcievable that some places in Torquay reached 29C today as the whole place is hills and valleys.

A bit too hot for me though, the ENE breeze was welcome but the air was too warm.

 

Torquay.jpg

It really is like a tropical paradise down there! Certainly felt like that when I went there three years ago. Looking at the picture you’d think it was abroad! I know it gets cooler in autumn and winter but the climate is magnificent compared to most of the U.K.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, horrid upto 1pm, felt more like April, was thinking what hot spell? E'ly winds the pits here

I am just treating this as a spell of pleasant summer weather, rather than a heatwave, as temps have only been low to mid 20’s here, which isn’t a heatwave unless you live in Northern Scotland (or the north east) 😉 just a spell of nice weather for a change.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It really is like a tropical paradise down there! Certainly felt like that when I went there three years ago. Looking at the picture you’d think it was abroad! I know it gets cooler in autumn and winter but the climate is magnificent compared to most of the U.K.

Its the mild winters that makes it pretty safe to grow things like that. I'm not sure what the August average is for Torquay but July is 21C and January is 9C. Although I have seen ice here right by the seafront where I live its still pretty rare.

They have a lovely sub tropical garden in the Scilly Isles where the August average is 19C and January 10C! A nine degree difference, not much land to generate cold or heat, permanently mild there.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/TrescoAbbeyGarden.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been another scorcher here in London. Wall to wall sunshine all day and humid too. Looks like Heathrow peaked just shy of 34c. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, horrid upto 1pm, felt more like April, was thinking what hot spell? E'ly winds the pits here

This area is terrible for succombing to north sea cloud. Its ruined so many summers days and half days when meant to be in a particular hot spell. Everyone was raves about the good summer of 2013 but seem to remember many days in that summer failed to reach more than say just above average.

The east wind also destroys the spring recovery from winter when it arrives. It damaged my wisteria in May just gone and still damaged now.

The wind also always seem be strong when its exactly ENE and persists for far too long, days sometimes and far outstays its welcome. Drives me insane as the plants and bushes get blown about in the garden as its particularly exposed to that direction!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:
h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

 

Very unusual to be under a Yellow Thunderstorm Warning for four days in a row!

Early 1980`s june a week of classic thunderstorms,doubt we`ll see anything like that but this week looks very good indeed as its been a huge lull since anything for something major thundery in august or this year come to that.....As for temperatures friday 28c yesterday 24.5c and today another 4c cooler at 20.7c strange...so heatwave in the SE only.

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paceyboy said:

This area is terrible for succombing to north sea cloud. Its ruined so many summers days and half days when meant to be in a particular hot spell. Everyone was raves about the good summer of 2013 but seem to remember many days in that summer failed to reach more than say just above average.

The east wind also destroys the spring recovery from winter when it arrives. It damaged my wisteria in May just gone and still damaged now.

The wind also always seem be strong when its exactly ENE and persists for far too long, days sometimes and far outstays its welcome. Drives me insane as the plants and bushes get blown about in the garden as its particularly exposed to that direction!

Problem is, there is no high ground to our east, here is like a magnet for the north sea mist, bbc tv weather showed thick mist again tomorrow, burning off around midday

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TQWX said:

Its the mild winters that makes it pretty safe to grow things like that. I'm not sure what the August average is for Torquay but July is 21C and January is 9C. Although I have seen ice here right by the seafront where I live its still pretty rare.

They have a lovely sub tropical garden in the Scilly Isles where the August average is 19C and January 10C! A nine degree difference, not much land to generate cold or heat, permanently mild there.

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/TrescoAbbeyGarden.html

Yes I have read about the mild climate of the Scilly Iles and the far South West. It's remarkable that tropical plants can be grown in the UK, even if it's down to winter warmth rather than summer heat.

 

The weather for the next week in the Scilly Iles looks to be mainly dry with a mix of sun and clouds, breezy and high humidity in the 80's and 90's, with little difference between day and night temps (15-19C). While much much cooler than the SE, it may still feel hot due to the high humidity, but then again the breeze might counter that. Anyone on here from the Scilly Iles or visited there know what the climate feels like?

 

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Isles of Scilly.

 

 

The weather in Toruqay looks to be warm, humid and thundery next week. The weather was warm, humid and mainly sunny when I visited the area three years ago, though it did get a bit chilly at night. it is much more of a humid heat down there rather than a temperature heat like you get in the SE. It might only be 24C but feels more like 30C because of the high humidity.

 

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Torquay.

 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in North Kent I thought I was going to have 6 days of horrendously hot weather. Luckily, after reaching 36oC on Friday, this weekend we’ve had a NE wind and it’s been very pleasant for the last 2 days and not above 30oC. I’m not looking forward to the next 3 days though....🥵

Edited by Coopsy
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Problem is, there is no high ground to our east, here is like a magnet for the north sea mist, bbc tv weather showed thick mist again tomorrow, burning off around midday

Yeah and i bet it wont be any earlier than that. Youre right about lack of high ground.

Glad that the prevailing wind direction isnt north east as our summers would be awful. Then again the south west prevailing wind is what makes the UK normally cloudy and murky with a long atlantic ocean track anyway. If only it was predominantly southerly off the continent.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paceyboy said:

This area is terrible for succombing to north sea cloud. Its ruined so many summers days and half days when meant to be in a particular hot spell. Everyone was raves about the good summer of 2013 but seem to remember many days in that summer failed to reach more than say just above average.

The east wind also destroys the spring recovery from winter when it arrives. It damaged my wisteria in May just gone and still damaged now.

The wind also always seem be strong when its exactly ENE and persists for far too long, days sometimes and far outstays its welcome. Drives me insane as the plants and bushes get blown about in the garden as its particularly exposed to that direction!

What part of the country do you live in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paceyboy said:

South staffs

South staffs/north warwickshire border

I am surprised that you feel the full effect of the north east wind being so far away from the NE coast. I thought it was only the north east and some eastern parts of Yorkshire that suffered with a NE wind.

 

Here a North easterly wind can be cloudy and cool but it can also bring very pleasant conditions - as we have had today - though the wind was a little chilly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...