Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

This thread is going to get a bashing from me today......down to 23.2C and its proper gloomy out there, almost 8C of todays max...

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

This thread is going to get a bashing from me today......down to 23.2C and its proper gloomy out there, almost 8C of todays max...

That's really weird

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Most of that rain showing on the radar i would imagine is evaporating before reaching ground. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
4 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Hmm, odd, bbc reckons there's a 71% chance of rain at heathrow at five. 

Doesn't seem like much of the rain coming from the SW is reaching the ground. Probably just a cloudy & warm evening to come for London. 

Edited by Stabilo19
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

Whats weird, its cloudy, gloomy with spots of rain falling....

It's weird how the tempreature has fallen so much I meant. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Down to 22.9°C now. Light levels the same as an overcast drizzly day. No high resolution model predicted this.

Posted
2 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

As stated earlier it's because you've moved from the almost tropical like air into the cooler stuff from the N and W behind the front.

The fact the front has been more active probably pushed down temperatures quicker as well than otherwise expected but your going to need to now wait until winds shift more easterly again.

1 minute ago, qwertyK said:

Well there's there still a sea breeze being generated, I guess the temp will drop under clouds until that drops out. Temp at Southampton has remained up at 28/29c despite cloud as breeze has flipped northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

As stated earlier it's because you've moved from the almost tropical like air into the cooler stuff from the N and W behind the front.

The fact the front has been more active probably pushed down temperatures quicker as well than otherwise expected but your going to need to now wait until winds shift more easterly again.

It's not a front, it's an upper trough. There is no separation of air masses.

Just now, kold weather said:

Its not really a front, the air behind is warm. Its 28C in Exeter for example. Its lack of sunlight, thicker than expected cloud, drizzle, and a sea breeze in places thats still dragging in 'cold' channel air. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Only 22.5°C here now with the cloud. A bit different to what I was expecting this afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Just hit 34.0c and with that the suns just gone in, so 1.7c short on last fridays high at my location.

3 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Only 22.5°C here now with the cloud. A bit different to what I was expecting this afternoon. 

Yup models were only out by the little measure of 7-9C in this part of the world.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Clouds now in full view here in Cambridge approaching from the west....probably half an hour until the sun has gone for the day. Made it to gone 4pm and 35.5c so can’t grumble too much.

Just now, Mapantz said:

Large drops of rain falling here now. What a bizarre day?!

Yes the back-edge contains a few heavier radar returns that will find there way to the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Mapantz said:

Large drops of rain falling here now. What a bizarre day?!

Yes I’ve noticed a few heavier patches appearing on the radar amongst the light stuff that’s not reaching the ground. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's not a front, it's an upper trough. There is no separation of air masses.

Well  it's technically a trough that is sharpening and  forming into a developing frontal system (tonight it's far more obvious), agreed the wind shift is rather weak at the moment but it is developing as we speak. 

As for the air masses, it's a very subtle process, there was a decayed cold front in the region which appears to be the trough feature now. So there is some subtle cooler air within the region (take a look at the theta temp potential maps, it's subtle but there) which then mixes out as a stronger feature develops along the current trough and a tighter boundary forms with a more obvious airmass difference on Saturday.

Alderc is right, there is actually a tounge of warmer air behind the trough which again can be seen on the maps. However the region where the current trough is, especially on the southern side is relatively cooler at the moment than behind and in front, though behind part will quickly cool down in the next 12hrs as winds shift more northerly.

Edited by kold weather

What I don't understand is why do we always get the rubbish middle ground. If it had stayed hot and sunny no-one would have complained, if we'd had some nice high based storms no-one would have complained, but no we get a massive sheet of mid level crap that has just completely ruined the day. 

Edited by Guest

Posted
Just now, Alderc said:

What I don't understand is why do we always get the rubbish middle ground. If it had stayed hot and sunny no-one would have complained, if we'd had some nice high based storms no-one would have complained, but no we get a massive sheet of mid level crap that just completely ruins the day. 

I'm guessing it's just bad luck that you've been on the western extent of recent plumes from the south and so are always going to be at risk of convection breaking out closer you are to the edge of any plume event.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Heathrows dropped back to 35.6C - game over today.

Remember the highest temperature is unlikely to be at the 1hr spot, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Heathrow or Kee maxed out 0.5-1c higher than that 1hr spot where we got 36.3c. We won't know for a little while yet though until all the data is in.

A max of 36.3 so far though which has to said is pretty close to the range expected (I think Marco from he met said 36.5-37):was most likely. My own guess was around the high 36s low 37s as well but that maybe just a smidge high. We will have to await for when all the data is in from all stations to know.

Also hard to ignore that 36.3c is still exceptional even if that is the absolute max. We've been spoiled in the last 5 years haven't we!

Edited by kold weather

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I'm guessing it's just bad luck that you've been on the western extent of recent plumes from the south and so are always going to be at risk of convection breaking out closer you are to the edge of any plume event.

But convection isn't really breaking out, the radar presentation hasn't changed on that blob for the last 300miles. Otherwise I get it about being on the wester edge of the plume, it happens quite a bit here but the convection is usually more pronounced and delivers something more than a few spots of drizzle, this and last week are the only examples of this.