Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Although the weather isn’t too bad this weekend, autumn is starting to take hold. It definitely feels less summery now, when waking up at 5am and coming home from work just before 8. The darkness becoming more noticeable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yes but we’re on a weather forum, so should follow the meteorological definitions really!

I think that, within reason, we should each just use whatever definition best suits the point being made? Stuff meteorological and astronomical protocols?

And, before anyone jumps on me, for being a scientific philistine, even I would blanche, were someone to claim that a warm start to December was actually a continuation of summer!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Damienfire said:

Although it’s been a cool weekend, because of how cool the summer has been it doesn’t feel any different to me other than the daylight hours. People saying it feels more autumnal now, it was like this in July

Point taken,  but with the longer days, July still felt like a summer month. Even when it was poor, evenings were still light until 9pm, on the poorest of days. 

Posted

Can't say we have had a really warm summery weekend since June started. I make it 14 weekends now. Possibly the only warm one was about mid June. But even that was thundery. The early August one was characterised by a windy NE wind on the Saturday which took the edge off the temp. And the Sunday was cold until about 4pm due to cloud off the North sea. I am resigned to looking forward to next May already. A long long long way off. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Can't say we have had a really warm summery weekend since June started. I make it 14 weekends now. Possibly the only warm one was about mid June. But even that was thundery. The early August one was characterised by a windy NE wind on the Saturday which took the edge off the temp. And the Sunday was cold until about 4pm due to cloud off the North sea. I am resigned to looking forward to next May already. A long long long way off. 

Aye, this was bad sea mist day, cleared around 4pm

gfs-2020080912-0-6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
8 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

to me it's still summer, just the Atlantic more active now, but can still get 30 degrees in right setup

We very very nearly got 30 degrees in October a few years ago!

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Same here. Roll on next April and spring/ summer of 2021.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

We very very nearly got 30 degrees in October a few years ago!

A few years ago it was 34c in the middle of September. Still got a few weeks of warm weather potential still left. As you say, was high 20s in early October a few years back too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Today's nothing like the forecast. Just 48 hours ago the forecast was sunny intervals and 19 degrees, reality gloomy overcast and 15. Forecasting really does seem to be going down the pan these days. I can't remember it ever being as bad as the last few years I've been recording the weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 07/09/2020 at 14:39, Thundershine said:

Today's nothing like the forecast. Just 48 hours ago the forecast was sunny intervals and 19 degrees, reality gloomy overcast and 15. Forecasting really does seem to be going down the pan these days. I can't remember it ever being as bad as the last few years I've been recording the weather.

Which app are you using? I use the bbc one and it was good and very accurate until Meteogroup took over from the Met Office and now I’ve noticed the forecast seems to be a bit more vague and generalised (for example, forecasting light rain when it’s heavy or sunny intervals when it’s unbroken sunshine).

Posted
On 05/09/2020 at 17:18, Sunny76 said:

19c is mild, but not warm and certainly not warm enough for shorts. I stopped wearing shorts once it dropped below 23c.

I’m sorry, but are you the weather police or something? You always seem to chime in whenever someone else mentions wearing shorts/t-shirt at a particular temperature. Do you go around telling people off if you see someone wearing shorts and it’s below 23°C?

Maybe you’re just jealous because you don’t feel comfortable wearing shorts at 19°C, but others (well I would say most people actually) would feel comfortable with it, esspecially if it’s sunny. Some people just get hot really easily or rarely feel cold (Markyo a good example!) I’d love to be one of those people who can feel comfortable wearing shorts on a frosty winters day, but I don’t go around criticising them, I just let them get on with it.

If they’re comfortable with it then why does it matter?

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
On 06/09/2020 at 11:11, mb018538 said:

Isn’t it time to say goodbye to this thread? Summer left us nearly a week ago.....time to talk autumn people!

Astronomically summer doesn’t end until September 21st! The weather we’re getting at the moment is much more summery than most of the actual meteroligcal “summer” anyway lol, in fact as soon as we got into June it went unseasonably cold.

Posted
On 06/09/2020 at 17:01, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

to me it's still summer, just the Atlantic more active now, but can still get 30 degrees in right setup

We never really had a summer lol (well, unless you count the few days in the middle/end of June, the very hot day at the end of July and the short heatwave in the first half of August).

Posted
On 04/09/2020 at 01:01, 38.7°C said:

Is there no thread for "summer 2020 how was it for you?"

Well just to sum this summer up in my opinion I really would like to place it into the bin of foul summers and look forward to the next one , but theres something about this years that really makes it one to remember. The Mid June thunderstorms and late June heatwave, The cold days in July i will want to forget but then comes a flirt with a continental heatwave on the extreme scale and yet another shoot at the temp record. and the most intense storms Ive witnessed over my head for about 6 hours. 

In my neck of the woods we very rarely hit 30C during heatwaves yet it happened in all three summer months and its not this year it happened last year too. Our crazy climate is forever changing at crazy speed. Definately a crazy Summer and one that will pop up in conversations in the future for good and bad reasons. 

This summer is one of the worst I’ve ever experienced due to the severe lack of sunshine and warmth. It was also the fourth wettest summer in the north-west of England which I was surprised about as yes it’s been wet but I wouldn’t have thought excessively so. It’s been the large number of cloudy, damp and sub 20°C days which has bothered me more than the rain. Just a few very warm/hot days chucked in here and there.

I would have much preferred a dry, sunny, high pressure dominated summer with 20-23°C temps, that is my idea of a perfect summer. Pleasantly warm and sunny but not excessively hot. Like the weather we’re having at the moment.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I got the stats in from the Met Office and it was officially the dullest summer on record in Sheffield. Can't get much worse than that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

Flaming hot down here in Herts this spring and summer with the odd dull interlude, some cracking storms thrown in as well, my son lives in Kelham Sheffield and confirms it was not great.!!