Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty mornings,freezing fog(makes the trees look nice!),snow,summer storms

A real mixed bag here with hot/cool/stormy conditions, fitting that this morning i recorded my lowest temp here this month at 8.4c. Oh, and happy birthday Thundershine. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Lovely last day of summer here, mostly blue skies, light winds and it surprisingly reached 21c. Felt warm in the sun. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Fitting end to the summer, just 5°C last night, coldest of summer, on my birthday of course.

mine tomorrow! and aye, same as LW radio Atlantic 252

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

In my opinion, I would say that this has been a so so summer. The reason why I say this is because of how boring July was. June wasn't too bad but August was by far my favourite summer month this year due to how erratic it has been. Blazing hot temperatures followed by thunderstorms, a couple of named storms and then a cooler period towards the end. I particularly enjoyed the thunderstorms. 

June - 6/10
July - 3/10
August - 10/10

Summer 2020 overall - 6/10

Posted

Yes the stormy week in the second week of August was quite notable. I think I heard thunder and saw lightning on at least 3 or 4 days in London. And although I didn’t catch an overhead storm, I saw lightning and heard storms on 3 separate evenings. The Sunday August 16th was the most notable. 

Since then, it felt like autumn started to take a hold, although gradually. It wasn’t until this bank holiday weekend, where the temps have really started to feel cold for August. 

Oh well, farewell to summer 2020. Some nice days were had, but too much dull weather spoiled it for me. The early August hot spell was lovely, even though nights were uncomfortable, the late June hot snap, and the long warmish sunny May. 

Now, it’s all downhill as we move into September and the countdown to winter 2020/21 starts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 30/08/2020 at 14:41, markyo said:

I suggest you take a look at the title of this thread!

Fair enough, it does get boring though when people just whine about the transitory heat without doing anything about it (on the other hand, it seems like a fair few posters have sensibly sorted out some sort of air cooling system).

• Like 1

Posted

Nice end to Summer 2020, just like it started with a 2-3 days of sunny dry weather, albeit very cool nights, pity the rest of the summer in the main was below standard, for long periods very below standard, bar the two spells in late June - very short, and more lengthy spell earlier in August. 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Fair enough, it does get boring though when people just whine about the transitory heat without doing anything about it (on the other hand, it seems like a fair few posters have sensibly sorted out some sort of air cooling system).

Don’t worry, Marky and others will be back next summer or whenever to temps start to reach the dizzy heights of 25c and whine about how unbearable it is lol.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Don’t worry, Marky and others will be back next summer or whenever to temps start to reach the dizzy heights of 25c and whine about how unbearable it is lol.

eh up, I'm Marky! but 25C is best summer temp, not me me moaning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Hehe, true. At least he has air conditioning, unlike many of the other regular whingers!

Reasonable last day of summer here, some sunny spells but a heavy shower arrived this evening and it feels quite chilly now. Have a strong gut feeling that this autumn and some of the winter will be very chilly indeed. 

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, true. At least he has air conditioning, unlike many of the other regular whingers!

Reasonable last day of summer here, some sunny spells but a heavy shower arrived this evening and it feels quite chilly now. Have a strong gut feeling that this autumn and some of the winter will be very chilly indeed. 

I think Eastern Europe will get a very cold winter, after the mild one of last year. The snow will be back with a vengeance.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think Eastern Europe will get a very cold winter, after the mild one of last year. The snow will be back with a vengeance.

Think the UK will join in on that cold, too. We didn’t have a winter here, very little happened weather-wise, it was so weird. 

Posted
24 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Think the UK will join in on that cold, too. We didn’t have a winter here, very little happened weather-wise, it was so weird. 

Minus 30c to -40c in Moscow. Cold north easterlies

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices: one of the poorest. Temperatures have kept it from being it even lower

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
2020 182

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices: one of the poorest. Temperatures have kept it from being it even lower

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
2020 182

I take it it's low sunshine levels that are the main factor here? Although it has been a poor summer, I certainly won't remember it as being as poor as 2007, 2008 or 2012.

At least this year we've had some memorable hot spells. I also reckon it has been considerably better in parts of the south than it has in the Manchester area.

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

I take it it's low sunshine levels that are the main factor here? Although it has been a poor summer, I certainly won't remember it as being as poor as 2007, 2008 or 2012.

At least this year we've had some memorable hot spells. I also reckon it has been considerably better in parts of the south than it has in the Manchester area.

Yes and frequent rain days and this had led to it probably being the 5th wettest summer, regionally, very close to overtaking summer 2007 rainfall total. Summer 2007 going down the pan didn't really start until near mid June. The first two weeks of June were warm, very dry and about average sunshine and August wasn't as bad.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yes and frequent rain days and this had led to it probably being the 5th wettest summer, regionally, very close to overtaking summer 2007 rainfall total. Summer 2007 going down the pan didn't really start until near mid June. The first two weeks of June were warm, very dry and about average sunshine and August wasn't as bad.

I remember the early June spell in 2007, but I recall hardly any very warm/hot days after that. 

At least this year we've reached 30C on more than one occasion- I can't imagine that happened in many of those other years that have a similar summer index.

There were a couple of days earlier in August that were the hottest feeling days I've ever felt in the Manchester area with the heat and humidity.

Posted

Absolutely dismal here. I find myself wondering where June and July went as every day was just grey, cloudy, monotonous rain. July especially was dire with only the 31st being above 21c.

390mm of rain vs 327hrs of sunshine means my tomatoes, peppers and corn haven't done particularly well at ripening 

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

First day and last days of summer 2020 were some of the best days of the summer

1st way better than last here

Posted

Nice sunny morning with a blue sky today. Looks slightly warmer the next few days.

I’d say Summer 2020 has been a poor one. Cool and dull June and July. Only a couple of short heatwaves. The August heatwave was impressive but as soon as it ended it was abysmal for the rest of the month.

Edited by Damienfire?