Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
51 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I have poor circulation in my hands, but my health in general is good. I love how you try to insult me, because I don’t like the cold as much as you, and we hear you banging on about just how ‘vile and uncomfortably hot’ it is, when temps are 24c plus in a summer month, when it should be lol. 

15-17c in late August in London isn’t normal.

Exactly. The 16.3c high from yesterday was a date record! You'd think the summer average was 18c by the way people talk about actual normal summer weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I despair of this thread sometimes! It's always the same members involved in childish squabbles and the content in the posts is almost identical each time the squabbles occur.

• Like 6

Posted
On 21 August 2020 at 19:48, Weather-history said:

Summer 2020 definitely reminds me of summer 2004, warmer than average June and August but a somewhat cooler than average July. The July in both summers being particularly poor especially the first half.  Both summers noted for their thunder although SE parts won't agree! 

Both summers had summer gales.  This August doesn't look like it will be as wet the August of 2004 

Remarkable the similarities between this summer and that of 2004. Both Augusts are going to down as warm wet months for overall figures. They even both have a drop in the CET at the back end of the month. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Remarkable the similarities between this summer and that of 2004. Both Augusts are going to down as warm wet months for overall figures. They even both have a drop in the CET at the back end of the month. 

A warm sunny September in 2004. I remember it being very sunny at the time, on the back of a poor summer that year. The winter that followed was a mixed bag of mild and cold interludes. Christmas was also cold that year.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It makes me laugh how some people on here can’t handle a bit of hot weather during our summers. We didn’t get a good summer this year, and still people complained about how unbearable the heat was. 

The cool damp rubbish has now returned, and more cloudy days. Can’t remember the last clear sunny day, which apparently was boring to quite a few individuals back in May. 

It makes me laugh how more people can’t tolerate cool weather in this country? We had 6 straight days above 33C in London unprecedented you can’t get used to that.

It was uncomfortable without luxury of AC just the facts. At least now sleeping is an easy task! I’ve still found it warm with cooler weather in second half, today has felt much fresher feels actually like an October day.

• Like 3

Posted
35 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A warm sunny September in 2004. I remember it being very sunny at the time, on the back of a poor summer that year. The winter that followed was a mixed bag of mild and cold interludes. Christmas was also cold that year.

June and August were actually sunny in 2004 though. Not this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, marky810 said:

As the sun begins to set the sky begins to clear. What causes this please?

dying convection, happens with high pressure, clear early mornings too before cumulus forms

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

dying convection, happens with high pressure, clear early mornings too before cumulus forms

I see, thankyou.

Posted
16 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I remember summer days pre-2007 seemed to start off cloudy, got sunnier as the day went on, and then clouded over again in the evening with convection. 

These days, it starts clear, clouds over by midday and then clears up again in the evening! 

• Like 1

Posted

Heating is on low now. Flat is freezing. Couldn’t resist it. Don’t mind the fresh feeling, but sitting in the flat and still feeling cold with a jumper on. 

This flat is old, so holds the heat in hot weather, but we lose the warmth once the daily temp slips back to mid to high teens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Would this also describe here in the hills why it tends to be windy during the day and calm at each end of the day in  high pressure situations?

Posted

At least we've had varied conditions this August to keep some interest, I guess.. If it was constantly average we'd get complaints of the mundane/samey nature of our climate.

After all strings of 10C+ above average days like earlier in August have to be balanced out somehow to give our climate averages.

Today was quite nice here, 18C and mostly sunny. This summer has been a mixed bag here (like you'd expect in a British summer really). Perhaps a little more on the 'poor' side for rainfall/sunshine but not too bad overall and not as bad as some other parts of the country.

Posted
2 hours ago, Daniel* said:

It makes me laugh how more people can’t tolerate cool weather in this country? We had 6 straight days above 33C in London unprecedented you can’t get used to that.

It was uncomfortable without luxury of AC just the facts. At least now sleeping is an easy task! I’ve still found it warm with cooler weather in second half, today has felt much fresher feels actually like an October day.

Sorry but i could get very used to that,here in the Pennines we are deprived of your suffering we had one day that hit 30 deg,we are 'blessed with  conditions 5 deg cooler than the south[10 deg in the heatwave],windier,cloudier,wetter,far more snow and ice,just about all you crave.There are peoples all over the world that endure months of temps into the 40s,i really dont know how 6 days out of 365 can be so bad!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Only the first 9 days though. From the 10th onwards the Atlantic returned with a vengeance and continued into a very dull wet October.

Posted
16 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

Sorry but i could get very used to that,here in the Pennines we are deprived of your suffering we had one day that hit 30 deg,we are 'blessed with  conditions 5 deg cooler than the south[10 deg in the heatwave],windier,cloudier,wetter,far more snow and ice,just about all you crave.There are peoples all over the world that endure months of temps into the 40s,i really dont know how 6 days out of 365 can be so bad!

No you wouldn't hillbilly lol a normal in summer in London you'd prob think unbearable. It's the nights that are worst. It doesn't matter what other people experience around world it's all relative the Saudis think 25C is cold.

Posted

To understand how hot it gets in homes in London during summer, one full 24 hour day during August heatwave downstairs didn't drop below 30C and that's cooler than upstairs just insufferable. That heat is dangerous to folk without AC.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

No you wouldn't hillbilly lol a normal in summer in London you'd prob think unbearable. It's the nights that are worst. It doesn't matter what other people experience around world it's all relative the Saudis think 25C is cold.

If it is warm nights that are unbearable get an aircon.I lived in an old farmhouse when i was younger and we had a solid fuel Rayburn to heat the hot water all year around.The flue went straight through my bedroom uninsulated and i had the top bunk.I have slept in Australia and Turkey in the heat but nothing compares to my bedroom back then for heat.I cannot count how many times i slept in the window cill and on the floor and if it was too bad i slept downstairs in the summers of 1984 and 1989.I may be fortunate that made me able to sleep where others cannot but i never complain about heat in this country when we have to endure the weather here in the Pennines,hot,bring it on!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 29/08/2020 at 16:48, Weather-history said:

I was wondering that myself, rainfall has spread further west and more extensive than Met Office forecasted

It also turned into another mostly cloudy day here after a sunny morning. So much for the sunshine then.

Posted
On 29/08/2020 at 19:32, Sunny76 said:

Surely this will lead to a colder winter for at least 3 years or one to even rival 2012/13.

I don’t think there is any connection between a cool spell in summer and a cold winter.

Posted
On 29/08/2020 at 19:44, markyo said:

Don't you understand, our weather has changed,patterns have changed. A slightly cool August bank holiday has no indication what so ever on this winter coming up. Odds on it will be a none season again with no cold at all for the 3rd Winter on a row sadly.

Let’s hope so, can’t stand cold weather.

Posted
On 29/08/2020 at 21:03, James1979 said:

Been out all day today as refused to give in to the weather due to long held outdoor plans but my god it was a challenge, especially with a 13 month old - it was actually 10.9c here at one point during daylight hours with howling winds and rain, incredible stuff. 

As for Summer 2020- successfully dodged almost all lightning once again in what was a thundery summer for so many, too hot, too cold, too little of useable 22-26c type days, basically quite rubbish. 4/10. 

So like most of last winter then.

Yes, my thoughts on the summer are the same as yours, so little usable days, just the odd 30°C day here and there but very few 20-25°C days, the vast majority being below 20°C here. I also missed most of the thunder here as well

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, B87 said:

Exactly. The 16.3c high from yesterday was a date record! You'd think the summer average was 18c by the way people talk about actual normal summer weather!

You could always be here,the second day in a row with a high of 12 deg in August!

Posted
10 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Loving the cooler weather!

Still a bit of warmth in the sunshine but with a nice cooling northerly breeze. The sun is now as strong as it is in early April. 

Not sure about nice, was chilly up here!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
10 hours ago, Freeze said:

Nice cooler start at 12c currently 17c bright blue skies feeling fresh, feels like September, Lovely!

Lucky you! Was sunny in the morning but was mostly cloudy from lunchtime onwards, and felt distinctly chilly with a max of  14.6°C at 19:28! Also dropped to about 4C in the wee hours!  

Felt like late October, awful.