Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

A most sensible suggestion that is made every summer by quite a few posters, sadly the moaning still reaches epic levels whenever we get 10 minutes of hot weather. 

Likewise on the other side when it's cloudy for a day or two and the bleating starts

Or maybe not everyone can afford to simply splash out £300 min and the bills that come with the electricity usage? Nearly as funny as when a certain poster suggested I just jump in my pool which everyone has in their back garden of course. 

I think some people could do with a reality check

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, James1979 said:

Mine was 1200 all in. Worth every penny

Surely not a portable unit? I got 12,000BPU unit during August heatwave it was on offer incredibly £299 makes a huge difference. Only gripe just cools one room but only built in units would allow cooling of entire house and I assume that would be thousands of pounds to be installed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, Nick L said:

Likewise on the other side when it's cloudy for a day or two and the bleating starts

Or maybe not everyone can afford to simply splash out £300 min and the bills that come with the electricity usage? Nearly as funny as when a certain poster suggested I just jump in my pool which everyone has in their back garden of course. 

I think some people could do with a reality check

The reality check, of course is that we get weeks and weeks (months, even) of dull, cloudy weather in the UK. Heatwaves are not the norm and rarely last long. Judging by the extreme moaning on here (and the repetition, year after year), £300 would be the investment of a lifetime. It’s not really a vast amount of money, is it? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

It can't be that common for a month to record heat records and cold records just weeks apart? August 2020 has managed it in London.

The only other month I can think of was November 2010, which went from 18.5c on 4th (a date record), to 1.6c, 1.5c, 1.6c on 27-29th (all date records, 1.5c is an absolute record).

Are there any other examples? Maybe June 2019?

Regarding keeping a house cool, it's common sense to keep all blinds shut during the day, and open windows at night during heatwaves. It isn't like we don't get hot spells every summer.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
35 minutes ago, B87 said:

It can't be that common for a month to record heat records and cold records just weeks apart? August 2020 has managed it in London.

The only other month I can think of was November 2010, which went from 18.5c on 4th (a date record), to 1.6c, 1.5c, 1.6c on 27-29th (all date records, 1.5c is an absolute record).

Are there any other examples? Maybe June 2019?

Regarding keeping a house cool, it's common sense to keep all blinds shut during the day, and open windows at night during heatwaves. It isn't like we don't get hot spells every summer.

I will have to check but I think it was March 1965 which in some areas had the coldest day of the year but the hottest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Loving the cooler weather!

Still a bit of warmth in the sunshine but with a nice cooling northerly breeze. The sun is now as strong as it is in early April. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Nice cooler start at 12c currently 17c bright blue skies feeling fresh, feels like September, Lovely!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

I will have to check but I think it was March 1965 which in some areas had the coldest day of the year but the hottest

I checked, and June 2019 also managed it in London. 12.8c on 10th and 34.0c on 29th were both date records.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The reality check, of course is that we get weeks and weeks (months, even) of dull, cloudy weather in the UK. Heatwaves are not the norm and rarely last long. Judging by the extreme moaning on here (and the repetition, year after year), £300 would be the investment of a lifetime. It’s not really a vast amount of money, is it? 

I suggest you take a look at the title of this thread!

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suggest you take a look at the title of this thread!

This summer will be judged as being poor overall. A lot of people will forget the heat, because there’s been too many cloudy or cool days, like we are experiencing this weekend. This summer has been vile.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Freeze said:

Nice cooler start at 12c currently 17c bright blue skies feeling fresh, feels like September, Lovely!

No it’s not lovely. I’m shaking while I’m waiting at the train station this afternoon. Cold wind blowing in late August. I’ll take 30c over this rubbish any day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

No it’s not lovely. I’m shaking while I’m waiting at the train station this afternoon. Cold wind blowing in late August. I’ll take 30c over this rubbish any day.

But it's easier to put on a coat to warm up than it is to cool down in mid to high 30s.

We mustn't forget we live in the UK and we are not guaranteed Mediterranean summers, quite the opposite. ☔

• Like 3

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It is lovely to me, have you tried putting a jumper on at all? 

• Like 4

Posted

Personal preference aside, there’s never bad weather, just bad clothing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
2 hours ago, Freeze said:

Yes. I agree. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Shaking in mid teen temps? Suspect you may have a medical issue

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
53 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Well, as I'm still going out, wearing jeans and a t shirt, I'd say that today's weather is just fine...:oldgood:

• Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Well, as I'm still going out, wearing jeans and a t shirt, I'd say that today's weather is just fine...:oldgood:

I’m still in my shorts lol 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

But it's easier to put on a coat to warm up than it is to cool down in mid to high 30s.

We mustn't forget we live in the UK and we are not guaranteed Mediterranean summers, quite the opposite. ☔

I have lived here all my life, and I never get used to the cooler temps. I do like the change in seasons and cold dry weather,  but not cold or cool weather in a summer month. 

I prefer it to be very warm or hot when it should be.

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Shaking in mid teen temps? Suspect you may have a medical issue

I have poor circulation in my hands, but my health in general is good. I love how you try to insult me, because I don’t like the cold as much as you, and we hear you banging on about just how ‘vile and uncomfortably hot’ it is, when temps are 24c plus in a summer month, when it should be lol. 

15-17c in late August in London isn’t normal.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

I hope we get more hot weather. I’ll welcome another plume, just to shut the coolies up! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
15 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Surely not a portable unit? I got 12,000BPU unit during August heatwave it was on offer incredibly £299 makes a huge difference. Only gripe just cools one room but only built in units would allow cooling of entire house and I assume that would be thousands of pounds to be installed.

Yeah built in unit for me- I've lived in 3 houses now that get disgustingly hot from April to October (and in peak heat the bedroon would not go below 30c all night), so much so that as well as bugger all sleep when its really hot I'd get nose bleeds too. After years and years of it I took the plunge. Bliss.

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1

Posted

It makes me laugh how some people on here can’t handle a bit of hot weather during our summers. We didn’t get a good summer this year, and still people complained about how unbearable the heat was. 

The cool damp rubbish has now returned, and more cloudy days. Can’t remember the last clear sunny day, which apparently was boring to quite a few individuals back in May. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It makes me laugh how some people on here can’t handle a bit of hot weather during our summers. We didn’t get a good summer this year, and still people complained about how unbearable the heat was. 

The cool damp rubbish has now returned, and more cloudy days. Can’t remember the last clear sunny day, which apparently was boring to quite a few individuals back in May. 

I love pretty much all weather types at any time of year, apart from mild in winter. Don’t let other people’s weather preferences bother you too much.

• Like 1