Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Then where do you sit? Most flats have no gardens, and you have to sit in it to sleep!

Green space is the best I've found. Whether a local park, or countryside walk, or especially any woodland. The relative coolth of woods was very welcome and noticeable on those few hot days. Failing that, local bodies of water e.g. streams, lakes or even the coast if it's not manic. A bit of common sense is always needed but essentially anywhere shaded with movement of air.

I didn't go to sleep during the day so can't comment on sleeping when it's 33C.

Posted

I guess we won't be getting the forecast rural ground frost tonight with all this cloud around and loads more cloud to come off the north sea by the looks of things.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Topped out at a balmy 13C today. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just started raining here. What happened to that forecast for a dry, sunny weekend?

was always forecast wet today, bbc tv showed big area of rain moving down the eastern side of uk, luckily dry day here until half hour ago, looks a wet 14 hours coming up, hope clears tomorrow early

Posted
6 hours ago, reef said:

I'm no fan of the heat, but 12.6C at 12:30 in August with a 20-30mph northerly wind is just vile.

Its worth noting that if today's current max of 13.9C isnt surpassed then it'll be the coldest August day since 1986 here and the third coldest in 40 years of records.

I definitely think this is all a precursor to a brutal cold spell during the coming winter. January to rival 1987 coming up. Would follow the pattern of the coldest August bank holiday since 1986.

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep, 13c and cloud, perfect summer weather you Marky boy, shorts and t-shirts, bbq and beer gardens weather for you!

I would feel awful if i had to endure a bbq in this weather. It happened to me in summers of 2011 and 12. On both occasions, I walked back into the house and the hosts wondered what was wrong lol. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Airedalejoe said:

I can beat you all! Stunningly cold here, mid afternoon,11c and strong winds. Can't remember ever being this cold in August and it is just the icing on the cake of a really poor summer.

Surely this will lead to a colder winter for at least 3 years or one to even rival 2012/13.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

What do I do for night shifts then? Sleep on the streets?

If you struggle to sleep in hot weather why dont you buy a small domestic aircon.You can get a cheap one for 100 quid of you could splash out 300 to 500 for a good quality one.Here in the pennines it is rare  to struggle sleeping and i am much better than most but if i lived in the south and struggled i wouldnt hesitate to buy one and wouldnt need to complain.

• Like 3

Posted

This summer has been vile. How anyone can enjoy days on end with cloud is beyond me. That’s why I didn’t complain during the hot weather, because the heat was in short supply. Just the nights were a bit uncomfortable, but that’s all gone now.

I think the heating could be going on quite soon if temps in the day start dropping to 16-17c on a regular basis. Definitely will be turning the heating on in the evenings before late September at this rate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Been walking around oxford most of the day doing the touristy things and have got an underlying chill now (tee shirt and cardigan), not had that in August before.  Cloudy and  a maximum no higher than 13c I'd guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, hillbilly said:

If you struggle to sleep in hot weather why dont you buy a small domestic aircon.You can get a cheap one for 100 quid of you could splash out 300 to 500 for a good quality one.Here in the pennines it is rare  to struggle sleeping and i am much better than most but if i lived in the south and struggled i wouldnt hesitate to buy one and wouldnt need to complain.

You can't get aircon units for a 100 quid! not new anyway. They are air coolers,totally different. Air con at 10 BTU which is minimum start at 300 at least.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Surely this will lead to a colder winter for at least 3 years or one to even rival 2012/13.

It’s just a straight northerly on eastern Britain direct from the arctic circle, it will pass As the high moves. There is certainly no science suggesting this has anything to do with winters weather whatsoever. Surface temp from source is 2 degrees, so alls as it should be in this setup, unusual as it is for this long feed, but temporary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I definitely think this is all a precursor to a brutal cold spell during the coming winter. January to rival 1987 coming up. Would follow the pattern of the coldest August bank holiday since 1986.

Don't you understand, our weather has changed,patterns have changed. A slightly cool August bank holiday has no indication what so ever on this winter coming up. Odds on it will be a none season again with no cold at all for the 3rd Winter on a row sadly.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

You can't get aircon units for a 100 quid! not new anyway. They are air coolers,totally different. Air con at 10 BTU which is minimum start at 300 at least.

Just had a quick google so i stand corrected but my point was we all pay good money to keep out homes warm in winter wether it be boilers or fires but almost nobody spends a penny on cooling in summer.If you find it unbearable just get athe aircon.

Edited by hillbilly
  • Like 1

Posted

Felt like a mild winters day , like that of this year. In London the temperature was actually cooler than they forecasted, around 14-15C! Windy and wet. Coat and gloves. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

16.3c at Heathrow today, the 4th date record of the month (though not like the other 3)!

Posted

Unfortunately this summer has finished how it started.We seem to get  way too many days with maxs at mid teens which is rediculous in summer.Today we got to the dizzy heights of 12 deg which is just about the same temperature as we had in early January.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, Airedalejoe said:

I can beat you all! Stunningly cold here, mid afternoon,11c and strong winds. Can't remember ever being this cold in August and it is just the icing on the cake of a really poor summer.

Highest through the day was 10.6C here at 11am.
It frequently dipped below 10C during showers.
Add in gusty northerly touching 40mph - not a good day for anyone  camping 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

1 hour ago, markyo said:

I live in a first floor flat in a Victorian building, with thick walls.  It gets hot in high summer,  I bought a portable air con unit for about 80 quid (it was half price) in 2010, and have used it for the two or three months as necessary since then, it is usually OK, very noisy, but pumps the hot air out through a foam baffle you put in the window.  It struggled to keep the flat cool during that August heatwave, but just did enough. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Been out all day today as refused to give in to the weather due to long held outdoor plans but my god it was a challenge, especially with a 13 month old - it was actually 10.9c here at one point during daylight hours with howling winds and rain, incredible stuff. 

As for Summer 2020- successfully dodged almost all lightning once again in what was a thundery summer for so many, too hot, too cold, too little of useable 22-26c type days, basically quite rubbish. 4/10. 

Edited by James1979
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Mine was 1200 all in. Worth every penny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A most sensible suggestion that is made every summer by quite a few posters, sadly the moaning still reaches epic levels whenever we get 10 minutes of hot weather. 

• Like 2