Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
48 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

certainly feels better late May, with 3 potentially warm months to come, by late Aug in this area feels summer may be over

Agree, late May is the most positive time of year, full of hopes of the summer to come. Late August complete opposite, yes still September ahead which is often very pleasant, but there is that inevitable feeling of darker colder months on the way.. and a long long slide into them as well  by late October you kind of accept it, but at this time of year it takes some adjustment, trying to cling on to summer and ignoring it..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It is cold and horrible out there. What has happened to our summer!

Posted
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Agree, late May is the most positive time of year, full of hopes of the summer to come. Late August complete opposite, yes still September ahead which is often very pleasant, but there is that inevitable feeling of darker colder months on the way.. and a long long slide into them as well  by late October you kind of accept it, but at this time of year it takes some adjustment, trying to cling on to summer and ignoring it..

I see the year in several phases.

January/February, the pits of winter, with a slight hint of spring towards the end of February, but still dark evenings. 

March, the transitional period, where it still can feel like winter, dark and cold mornings and evenings, damp and gloomy. Hints of spring with some of the first warmish days creeping in, but a chill in the air.

April, still a continuation of March, but a noticeable change in the air, even when the weather is still cold, the feeling of spring is well and truly underway, with the longer evenings and lighter mornings.

May, late spring feeling, and the second half, especially from the 20th onwards is where the feel of early summer is already with us. The weather usually is always very warm or hot, even many years ago, I remember late May being the first period of heat, even if the summer to come would be poor.(1987 I’m looking at you, 2011, I’m also looking and you, and 2020 you can’t hide!)

Late May to late July, the peak of summer with the longest evenings and best weather. Even when it’s crap, this is the best time of the year.

Early to mid August, still a summer feeling

Mid to August, the first signs of the coming autumn and summer is fading.

September, last blast of summer is possible, but also the first cool days are creeping in, and usually by the end of the month the heating is on, and the weather feels like it’s returning to those April levels.

October, November, the transition into full autumn has begun and early feel of winter can be felt by now.

December, full darkness and deep wintery depression, but the Christmas vibe makes it bearable. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Lovely Pre Autumn feel today and for this weekend. Far better than last years 33c temps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

While I prefer this to the 33C last year, to not even be at 14C at nearly midday in August is shocking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

While I prefer this to the 33C last year, to not even be at 14C at nearly midday in August is shocking.

think I prefer the 33,

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Lovely Pre Autumn feel today and for this weekend. Far better than last years 33c temps.

I disagree. It’s way too cold for late August. Won’t be able to sit outside at the spa hotel, like we did last year, and despite the bank holiday being one week later, it wouldn’t have made much difference last weekend, as the weather started to change 

Barely scraping 14c in west London right now. This doesn’t feel like late August. 

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I disagree. It’s way too cold for late August. Won’t be able to sit outside at the spa hotel, like we did last year, and despite the bank holiday being one week later, it wouldn’t have made much difference last weekend, as the weather started to change 

Barely scraping 14c in west London right now. This doesn’t feel like late August. 

Aye, latest it can be, day before my birthday, so colder on average as August goes on

Posted

I'm no fan of the heat, but 12.6C at 12:30 in August with a 20-30mph northerly wind is just vile.

Its worth noting that if today's current max of 13.9C isnt surpassed then it'll be the coldest August day since 1986 here and the third coldest in 40 years of records.

Edited by reef
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Indeed, 33C would be much more preferable to 13C on an August bank holiday. What a fantastic weekend it was last year, and 2017.

I suppose I’ve got the better deal today with sunshine albeit fairly weak sun and a chilly wind.

Posted

33C and 13C are both unpleasant to be in, but at least my flat is warm when it's 13C. At 33C there's no comfort.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

33C and 13C are both unpleasant to be in, but at least my flat is warm when it's 13C. At 33C there's no comfort.

Aye, but prefer 33 to 13, put favourite temps around 24-27

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

August’s haven’t been good for a while but this one has been abysmal. We are at 12c here with strong northerly winds at the moment. To top if off my heating clicked on yesterday in blooming August 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Yep, 13c and cloud, perfect summer weather you Marky boy, shorts and t-shirts, bbq and beer gardens weather for you!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

August a month of two distinct halves here with a notably mild and pleasant first half but the second half has cancelled it out with some of the coldest weather in decades for late August. Overall a fitting end to a very inconsistent summer. July notably cool (2°C below average maximum temperature) and one of the cloudiest on record locally. Once again, much wetter than average as with last summer. Overall I rate this summer about a 3/10 - won't be missed!

Edited by Thundershine
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No it doesn’t. More like a weekend in mid-April. 13C and thick cloud here currently. Forecast was for 14°C and sunny intervals. Where has the sunshine gone? It was clear and cold here when I woke up at 6:30 to go to the loo, but by the time I got up it was already clouding over. At least if the sun was out it would actually feel somewhat pleasant as the sun still have some strength to it at this time of year.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

It’s 18°C in my bedroom right now, which isn’t really warm. If it gets any colder, heating will have to go on.

Posted

I can beat you all! Stunningly cold here, mid afternoon,11c and strong winds. Can't remember ever being this cold in August and it is just the icing on the cake of a really poor summer.

Posted

I guess some of yous are getting a taste of a 'Shetland summer', often cloudy and temperatures suppressed into the mid teens. It has not been too bad here in fairness, bit more cloudier this afternoon mind. 

Oh and the BBCs mostly dry weekend forecast is going to plan judging by the radar! 

Posted

Just started raining here. What happened to that forecast for a dry, sunny weekend?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

The key is to not sit in a flat when it's 33C.

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Then where do you sit? Most flats have no gardens, and you have to sit in it to sleep!

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

18°C and good sunny spells here. Not too bad!

It’s nearly always nice in summer down on the south coast. You guys do well in a northerly wind, there is a very long land track so you are very sheltered. And you live in a microclimate.

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

What do I do for night shifts then? Sleep on the streets?

• Like 2