Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
7 hours ago, General Cluster said:

So, after a stonking April, a brilliant May, warmish June and August, peeps are still moaning about how 'shocking', 'dire' Summer 2020 has been...Have we been relocated into the Tropics or something?

Oh, I nearly forgot... the odd month out, July, had a bone-chilling CET anomaly of -0.3C!:oldlaugh:

That may be an accurate description for your area but here in the Pennines it has been very poor..4 or 5 good days in late June was all that resembled summer from start until August and whilst you enjoyed[or not] the 6 days at 34 deg we had only one day that touched 30.A typicaal north /south divide sums it up for me,not a 2012 or 2008 shocker but hot on the heels will be my memory of 2020.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, SummerShower said:

Definitely been an interesting month.  Tropical heat, then 2 named storms, 6 days (including today) of seeing lightning and/or hearing thunder, surface flooding.  Just need some frost now to cap it all off

miles too far south, Scotland could see frost Sat into sun, Sun into Mon

Posted
57 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

That may be an accurate description for your area but here in the Pennines it has been very poor..4 or 5 good days in late June was all that resembled summer from start until August and whilst you enjoyed[or not] the 6 days at 34 deg we had only one day that touched 30.A typicaal north /south divide sums it up for me,not a 2012 or 2008 shocker but hot on the heels will be my memory of 2020.

Yes as often the case when it comes to the UK weather marked differences between the SE and NW. Here it has been a poor summer, no way to dress it up. Significant below average sunshine, significantly above average rainfall, temps only averaging out a little above average, but skewed by the short lived warmth in June and the hot period in early August and the fact nights have often been mild due to all the cloud and rain. Maximum temp wise more days below average than above. 

Posted

24 hours of non stop rain.  What a horrendous Summer it has been.

This has to be the worst Summer on record in Northern Ireland for the combination of lack of sun and persistent rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Last August bank holiday weekend we saw max temperatures of 32-33C each day. This year we'll do well to reach 20!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Summer index now 282. 

With the remainder of August forecast chilly 18-20c highs, no sun and a few rain days, that could fall into the 260s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Another sorry excuse of an August is finally drawing to a close.

Almost like Autumn today a cold and gusty north easterly wind with rain/drizzle.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Another sorry excuse of an August is finally drawing to a close.

Almost like Autumn today a cold and gusty north easterly wind with rain/drizzle.

I tend to regard May as more of a summer month than August these days.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

It’s been a poor summer overall but better than last summer.

I'd rate summer 2019 above 2020. Average temperatures roughly the same, but 2019 was sunnier and drier.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

I'd rate summer 2019 above 2020. Average temperatures roughly the same, but 2019 was sunnier and drier.

Summer 2019 brought more rain here than I have ever seen in my lifetime and temperatures that would be considered cold in mid winter. There were numerous 24-48 hour periods of non-stop rain. It was abysmal. 

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
5 minutes ago, B87 said:

2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Summer 2019 brought more rain here than I have ever seen in my lifetime and temperatures that would be considered cold in mid winter. There were numerous 24-48 hour periods of non-stop rain. It was abysmal. 

Definitely a stark contrast between your locations in terms of rainfall:

image.thumb.png.00f948ec73ee3839c6e55637786314af.png

• Like 1

Posted

June 2019 was equally cloudy as June 2020, with 170 vs 175 hours for those months.

July 2019 had 195 hours vs 172 in July 2020.

August 2019 had 201 hours, and this month looks like it won't even reach 170!

Posted
18 minutes ago, B87 said:

Yeah, 2019 had a better July, poor June, and a poorish August, but some nice sunny days, and a hot bank holiday. It was a bit sunnier I think.

2020 had a nice period of unbroken sunshine between late March and early June, give or take a few dull days. But, the summer in the main since June has been poor for 2020.

The heatwave of early to mid August which ended with the storms two weeks ago, already seems like a long time ago. It has been notably thundery this August, even with some hit and miss days, the storms were there and ever present, if that makes sense. It does feel more autumnal now.

Posted
4 minutes ago, B87 said:

June 2019 was equally cloudy as June 2020, with 170 vs 175 hours for those months.

July 2019 had 195 hours vs 172 in July 2020.

August 2019 had 201 hours, and this month looks like it won't even reach 170!

It really is quite poor when you take into account that hot and sunny spell from earlier this month, but it won't go down as a great month. The second half has made sure of that, even though it will be classed as a warm month.

Posted
21 hours ago, General Cluster said:

So, after a stonking April, a brilliant May, warmish June and August, peeps are still moaning about how 'shocking', 'dire' Summer 2020 has been...Have we been relocated into the Tropics or something?

Oh, I nearly forgot... the odd month out, July, had a bone-chilling CET anomaly of -0.3C!:oldlaugh:

21 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The CET never tells the full story though. It’s been a cloudy and wet summer overall. July was unseasonably cold here and didn’t even reach 20°C until the final two days. The first half of June was also unseasonably cold with temperatures struggling in the low teens on many days. The first half of August was warm but mostly cloudy here. Last week was okay. This week has left a lot to be desired. There has also been a lot of cold cloudy damp weather, especially in July. 

It may have not been too bad down in the south-east, but up here in the north of England, it’s been one of the worst things I can ever remember. A few hot days does not make up for a poor summer.

I'm wondering as well, since when was April, a summer month? What has the weather of April got to do with the actual summer this year? We had a severe frost for the time of the year this April. 

• Like 1

Posted

Today is utterly grim. Overcast with persistent rain, a 25-40mph northerly wind and a max of 14.8C. In fact, right now its just 12.2C and we've had 27.4mm since midnight.

Its a fitting end to this summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

That record breaking sunshine spring feels like a distant memory now.  If we get a poor Autumn I feel like 2020 will be forgotten as an unremarkable year despite having the sunniest calender month on record.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 27/08/2020 at 17:48, hillbilly said:

I always reckon that during long hot periods people tend not to complain about the heat anywhere as much as the short spells of heat ,i always put it down to the fact that after a week or so people just get used to it whereas a short spell does not have chance to do that.

I’m the opposite, after about a week of mid to high 20’s temps and constant sun in early July of 2018 I’d had enough, whereas I’m fine with the odd 30°C day here and there, as I know it won’t last long so I just make the most of it.

Posted

2nd half of August is not often summery, 2nd half of May seems summerier, unsure of stats though, is mid to end May warmer then mid to end Aug

Posted
45 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

That record breaking sunshine spring feels like a distant memory now.  If we get a poor Autumn I feel like 2020 will be forgotten as an unremarkable year despite having the sunniest calender month on record.

Spring 2020 was the driest on record for us, with 34.2mm of rain in total. Since yesterday evening we've had 36.6mm.

Spring 2020 was the sunniest in 40 years of records for us with 683 hours, beating the previous in 2011 by 92 hours. Summer 2020 by comparison is currently on 397 hours, which is 16 hours below the previous dullest on record (1987) with just three days to go.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
36 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

2nd half of August is not often summery, 2nd half of May seems summerier, unsure of stats though, is mid to end May warmer then mid to end Aug

Statistically no but then you have more sunshine in May on average and less rain which makes it feel warmer. Also we are used to warmer temps in August than we are in May, so 15C feels chilly in August but quite warm in May. Even the. though there’s not that much temp difference between late May and late August in the north west, about 16-17°C for late May and 18-19°C for late August.

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No mid to end Aug much warmer thanks to much milder nights. Sunshine wise much duller as to be expected given we are 2 months further from than the solstice. Rainfall wise wetter as well, more so here in the NW. Late May feels very different to late August, just like late Nov feels very different to late Feb, main factor light levels.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

No

Posted

certainly feels better late May, with 3 potentially warm months to come, by late Aug in this area feels summer may be over

• Like 1