Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
On 25/08/2020 at 20:47, damianslaw said:

Surprised it's doing that well, guess temperatures have kept it up, rainfall  has been above average here and sunshine well below average, perhaps not quite as poor for Manchester. Might the last week notch it down the league a few more places, close to 2011. It's certainly been not nearly as good as 2016 here.

Temperatures have kept the index up but it shows that above average temperatures don't necessarily make for a good summer

Worst summers for Manchester

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
2020 185 (up to 27th August)
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
1910 190

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
On 26/08/2020 at 00:36, Don said:

Don't speak to soon!  I fully agree about it being revoltingly hot when not unsettled, though!

Okay, with summer over on Monday and no summery weather expected in that time.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Okay, with summer over on Monday and no summery weather expected in that time.

Summer will technically be over, but there could still be some very warm weather in September and early October.  I take your point though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Goodbye Summer Monday, good riddance. Not been a good one at all, far far to hot and humid at times. Found 2018 far more comfortable. And hello to a very welcome friend...Autumn. Best one going by far,better light,feel,comfort. Just hope September doesn't ruin it with heat again. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Hopefully an autumn similar to the last 2 yrs . 

The last 2 autumns have felt seasonal (although  nov 2018 was dire - dull   mild etc )overall compared to a number of autumns in the yrs just before. 

Posted
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

Goodbye Summer Monday, good riddance. Not been a good one at all, far far to hot and humid at times. Found 2018 far more comfortable. And hello to a very welcome friend...Autumn. Best one going by far,better light,feel,comfort. Just hope September doesn't ruin it with heat again. 

I think it was a poor summer for sunshine and warmth. It was only very hot for a couple of weeks at the very end of July and gave us what was probably the best august spell since 2013 or 1995. 

It was humid at times, but too many days were cool and cloudy. Some nice days in all the summer months, but May and early June were the best periods for nice long sunny days and evenings. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

As I type it's 13 °C here in Worcs with steady rain. Some may like it and good for them, but to me this is just miserable for August. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come! I don't expect too much from September, but some nice, peaceful, dry, bright days with temperatures around 20 °C would be very welcome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
25 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

As I type it's 13 °C here in Worcs with steady rain. Some may like it and good for them, but to me this is just miserable for August. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come! I don't expect too much from September, but some nice, peaceful, dry, bright days with temperatures around 20 °C would be very welcome.

Indeed nothing good about this weather at all. Although it’ll be unseasonably cool, I’m looking forward to a sunny weekend and maybe getting out for some outdoor exercise for a change.

The gyms opened just at the right time, when it became either too hot or just wet to train outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I’m really surprised at that. I would have thought summer 2018 would have been unbearable for you! The heat during summer 2018 was much longer lasting than any heat we had this summer. Also the heat occurred during the early and middle stages of that summer when the sun was at its most intense, which made it feel even hotter. An August heatwave never feels as hot to me because the sun is weaker and sets earlier, and our bodies are more acclimatised to heat by then anyway.

Despite summer 2018 being really hot at times, (I’m not a heat lover like yourself) I enjoyed it much more than this “summer”, simply because there was a lot more sunshine and summery weather, nothing worse than cold grey weather in summer - like we have today. It’s just depressing.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 hour ago, sundog said:

Hopefully an autumn similar to the last 2 yrs . 

The last 2 autumns have felt seasonal (although  nov 2018 was dire - dull   mild etc )overall compared to a number of autumns in the yrs just before. 

Last autumn was terrible - just constant cloud and rain and barely any warmth or sunshine whatsoever. I enjoyed autumn 2018 much better - September 2018 was a bit disappointing but October and November had some pleasant mild sunny weather.

I would love another autumn like 2006, 2011 or 2014.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it was a poor summer for sunshine and warmth. It was only very hot for a couple of weeks at the very end of July and gave us what was probably the best august spell since 2013 or 1995. 

It was humid at times, but too many days were cool and cloudy. Some nice days in all the summer months, but May and early June were the best periods for nice long sunny days and evenings. 

Yes, last summer was better for sunshine and warmth (though was just as wet). 

Posted

Was a cold and clear night last night with a few fog patches/low cloud but as soon as I woke up it was overcast and has remained overcast all day, there’s also a nasty autumnal chill in the air too thanks to the lack of sunshine. Horrible weather. So annoying when this happens. I suspect there’s been some aircraft spraying going on...

Posted
31 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed nothing good about this weather at all. Although it’ll be unseasonably cool, I’m looking forward to a sunny weekend and maybe getting out for some outdoor exercise for a change.

The gyms opened just at the right time, when it became either too hot or just wet to train outside.

It’ll probably be just like the bank holiday weekend in August 2018, cold and wet on Friday, then dry and mostly sunny at the weekend but very cool. At least it will suit Markyo...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, after a stonking April, a brilliant May, warmish June and August, peeps are still moaning about how 'shocking', 'dire' Summer 2020 has been...Have we been relocated into the Tropics or something?

Oh, I nearly forgot... the odd month out, July, had a bone-chilling CET anomaly of -0.3C!:oldlaugh:

Edited by General Cluster
  • Like 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Just chilly and depressingly gloomy here after a cold clear night. Typical!

Yes, that sounds perfect for September. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

So, after a stonking April, a brilliant May, warmish June and August, peeps are still moaning about how 'shocking', 'dire' Summer 2020 has been...Have we been relocated into the Tropics or something?

Oh, I nearly forgot... the odd month out, July, had a bone-chilling CET anomaly of -0.3C!:oldlaugh:

The CET never tells the full story though. It’s been a cloudy and wet summer overall. July was unseasonably cold here and didn’t even reach 20°C until the final two days. The first half of June was also unseasonably cold with temperatures struggling in the low teens on many days. The first half of August was warm but mostly cloudy here. Last week was okay. This week has left a lot to be desired. There has also been a lot of cold cloudy damp weather, especially in July. 

It may have not been too bad down in the south-east, but up here in the north of England, it’s been one of the worst things I can ever remember. A few hot days does not make up for a poor summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’ll probably be just like the bank holiday weekend in August 2018, cold and wet on Friday, then dry and mostly sunny at the weekend but very cool. At least it will suit Markyo...

Yeah probably.

This would actually be an interesting period of weather in winter. Evaporative cooling taking place today with colder uppers from the north invading tomorrow, then a frosty sunny few days to follow. Alas, it's August, it's 13.5C, and I've got the lights on at 2pm...

• Like 1

Posted

Forecast to reach 35C this weekend in Budapest but only 29C here thanks to a cold front approaching from the west. I don't think I've been in the sweet spot once this summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m really surprised at that. I would have thought summer 2018 would have been unbearable for you! The heat during summer 2018 was much longer lasting than any heat we had this summer. Also the heat occurred during the early and middle stages of that summer when the sun was at its most intense, which made it feel even hotter. An August heatwave never feels as hot to me because the sun is weaker and sets earlier, and our bodies are more acclimatised to heat by then anyway.

Despite summer 2018 being really hot at times, (I’m not a heat lover like yourself) I enjoyed it much more than this “summer”, simply because there was a lot more sunshine and summery weather, nothing worse than cold grey weather in summer - like we have today. It’s just depressing.

I always reckon that during long hot periods people tend not to complain about the heat anywhere as much as the short spells of heat ,i always put it down to the fact that after a week or so people just get used to it whereas a short spell does not have chance to do that.

Posted

Here in the NE of N Yorkshire, it has been a poor summer. Aside from a few nice days, it has been noticeable for the lack of sunshine and a lot of rain. A lot to do with the relatively southerly jet stream,  IMO. Indeed, these last few days have taken a turn for the worse with yet more rain and gloom.  Bring back spring!

David in Northallerton

Posted
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Temperatures have kept the index up but it shows that above average temperatures don't necessarily make for a good summer

Worst summers for Manchester

The summer index has just dipped below 200 here today. The 10 worst summers since 1980 here:

1998: 212
1982: 210
1986: 205
1988: 204
2020: 199 (to 27th Aug)
1985: 199
1980: 194
2012: 194
1987: 174

The 1981-2010 average is 234 and the best in the list was 2018 with 295.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
4 hours ago, General Cluster said:

CET can sometimes be almost completely useless for ordinary purposes though. A murky, rainy, gloomy day of max 16, min 12 has the same CET as a clear, dry, fresh one of max 22, min 6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
36 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

This august has been the most unusual extreme for weirdness I`ve seen.

Definitely been an interesting month.  Tropical heat, then 2 named storms, 6 days (including today) of seeing lightning and/or hearing thunder, surface flooding.  Just need some frost now to cap it all off