Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted

Summer 2020 ending on a distinctly cool autumnal note. A very very mixed summer this one, but far too much cloud has been the dominating factor and too much rain here. Overall worst since 2012 despite the one week burst of heat early August, its been a poor one here.

• Like 2

Posted

Take a look at the government UK water situation website. It shows weekly rainfall figures in map form. Only one week this summer we are in the below normal category all others above or significantly above, in the blue or dark blue. The next map will be dark blue again, and the one after... 

• Like 1

Posted

Definitely feels like autumn now in London.

dark until 5.15, and the light is on now while I’m having breakfast. Also a very wet morning, so that just adds to the early autumn feel. 

On the other hand if it were a clear morning, there would be a fresher feel. Definitely feels different compared to just a couple of weeks ago when it still felt like summer. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
13 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

ICON 18z T120 v 12z at T126:

E8C62BEF-B521-4E94-A042-5595C4BC7870.thumb.png.f144d6f8b0ee19aeffd54e436253f19d.png5C059866-B6D4-45DA-84A1-2F00163C3D33.thumb.png.af7899e5257f33afadddb6f1e1323c4e.png

The question is why do I care?  Life is unmitigated boredom for people (autistic spectrum disorders) like me, now.  I’m ‘working from home’, although not actually producing anything.  Life is horrible, quite frankly, I wonder how many others feel the same?  

It's okay to feel this way.  We are in this limbo of uncertainty right now and it's okay to feel unproductive (I'm personally feeling unmotivated right now).  I mean we are living through an unprecedented time right now and there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling lost.  Just remember that things will always get better.  Can you remember the last time you experienced a low point?  I certainly can, and at the time I struggled to see how things could improve.  And yet they did.  Have faith and take care of yourself, there are more people than you realise who have your back and are supporting you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

With summer now over, I have to say it's been disappointing. Not much usable weather, and when it stopped being unsettled it was revoltingly hot.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

I'm like a broken record this summer. With it now looking guaranteed to be my dullest summer on record (since 1942), safe to say it was the worst summer of my lifetime. Wetter than average but not exceptionally so with average temperatures - average June, cool July and mild-ish August. 1 ok thunderstorm in late June and that superb Saturday (only 19C though) a few weeks ago were the highlights of it. 

That's my last comment on it anyway, goodbye "Summer" 2020 and hello autumn.

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

With summer now over, I have to say it's been disappointing. Not much usable weather, and when it stopped being unsettled it was revoltingly hot.

Yes, whatever happened to pleasantly warm and sunny days with a nice light breeze and temperatures of between 23-27°C? Seems to now be weeks of dull crap then a few days of heat. Even here in C Europe it’s often been like that. A weird summer but the rain was very much needed here.

• Like 3

Posted

Seems like Autumn has started earlier than usual and we had our Summer in Spring ......... what crap weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, DCee said:

8 months of Autumn to come as the winter will likely be a mild, windy event too. 

I hope not.I have had enough windy days already this year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

I thought we had plenty of summer-like weather this year through spring and during parts of the summer (IMBY). 2020 will certainly go down in history for the record breaking hot spell we had - 6 consecutive days of 34°C. 

Roll on the storms, frosts and fog of autumn! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
7 minutes ago, snowdog said:

You and me both, Im really not looking forward to the next 7/8 months of this windy dross

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Yes, a bit like last summer, either cool and unsettled or really hot, but at least last summer had a nice July with a good period of usable pleasant summer weather in the first 2/3rds of July. As for this summer though...

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, snowdog said:

I don’t mind the wind, but the endless rain and gloom is depressing.

Posted
42 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I thought we had plenty of summer-like weather this year through spring and during parts of the summer (IMBY). 2020 will certainly go down in history for the record breaking hot spell we had - 6 consecutive days of 34°C. 

Roll on the storms, frosts and fog of autumn! 

Maybe in London it was pretty good but for most of the country, apart from the brief heatwaves, it’s been very poor.

• Like 2

Posted

Manchetser Summer Indices (worst)

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
2020 189 (up to 24th Aug)
1910 190
1936 190

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, DCee said:

8 months of Autumn to come as the winter will likely be a mild, windy event too. 

I feel like emigrating, preferably to another planet (Mars is nice this time of year I hear). Anywhere can only be better than this planet, what with all of the worldwide stupidity and insanity that's ongoing (Trump, Brexit and COVID-19 to name just a few of the many).

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

I feel like emigrating, preferably to another planet (Mars is nice this time of year I hear). 

I’ve heard Mars is nice for those who don’t like heat and it’s a peaceful place compared to Earth!!

Posted
41 minutes ago, Don said:

I’ve heard Mars is nice for those who don’t like heat and it’s a peaceful place compared to Earth!!

The UV index might be a bit high though and it isn't a place to go if you're not a fan of low pressure. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchetser Summer Indices (worst)

1954 143
1907 147
1956 155
1912 156
1924 158
2012 164
2008 168
1987 169
1946 170
1909 171
1931 173
1978 173
1980 173
1920 174
1923 174
2007 174
1927 175
1948 176
1938 177
1922 178
2011 179
1985 180
1958 184
1972 185
1916 188
1986 189
1965 189
2016 189
2020 189 (up to 24th Aug)
1910 190
1936 190

Surprised it's doing that well, guess temperatures have kept it up, rainfall  has been above average here and sunshine well below average, perhaps not quite as poor for Manchester. Might the last week notch it down the league a few more places, close to 2011. It's certainly been not nearly as good as 2016 here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
4 hours ago, Buzz said:

I feel like emigrating, preferably to another planet (Mars is nice this time of year I hear). Anywhere can only be better than this planet, what with all of the worldwide stupidity and insanity that's ongoing (Trump, Brexit and COVID-19 to name just a few of the many).

Guaranteed sunshine on Mars (for most of the year, except during dust storms and morning cloud) with cold, crisp nights (can often become foggy in lowland regions, this is because despite the Martian air having very little water vapour it can easily become saturated at low temperatures and very low atmospheric pressure) and sometimes frosty.  Sounds more appeaing than the windy grey rubbish we are getting at the moment!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Summer index in London is now 284 and falling, and it could fall quite a lot in this final week of summer.

Definitely into below average territory now. It is just above 2015 (276), 2016 (271), and the next lowest on the list in recent years is 2012 (233 - the lowest of all).

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, Nick L said:

Don't speak to soon!  I fully agree about it being revoltingly hot when not unsettled, though!

Edited by Don

Posted

With climate change, the lows in the Atlantic are definately getting stronger in summer which is why when we get heatwaves, they tend to be quite strong but it can be quite breezy also on them hot days. 

However when the jett stream is less favourable, those strong lows head for us instead, I really would not be surprised if we do see an increase in the number of days in June and July especially where we see gales recorded in the future. 

Edited by Geordiesnow