Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
22 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

which one, Thursday is looking worse here

Tomorrow’s. Wasn’t aware that there was another one on the way too? What’s that one looking like?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
9 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Nothing more embarrassing than the sight of overseas cricketers 'warming up' for the days cricket in woolly hats, 3 woolly jumpers and 2 pairs of trousers in the middle of July in the UK. Global warming ?  

Why is it embarrassing? I bet people overseas think it’s embarrassing when it’s their winter time at 20 degrees and they’re in coats and scarves and we’re walking around in shorts and t shirts. 

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
23 hours ago, markyo said:

I thinks that is were really differ, got the bedroom down to a lovely 13.2c by this morning with the air con, Fantastic for a sunday morning lie in! Haven't had the central heating upstairs for at least 2 years.

Gosh! I would be shivering at that temp indoors!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think there are some underlying health issues going on there...

Posted
12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Nothing more embarrassing than the sight of overseas cricketers 'warming up' for the days cricket in woolly hats, 3 woolly jumpers and 2 pairs of trousers in the middle of July in the UK. Global warming ?  

They’re just used to a much hotter climate, that’s all. Nothing to be embarrassed about. If anything it makes them look like pansies.

Posted
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I think there are some underlying health issues going on there...

With who? Me or Markyo?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Yet another August with poor sunshine on the cards. 143 hours so far in London, and probably won't add more than 20-30 hours by the end of the month.

Compare it with Paris 200 miles south, which is already on 181 hours for the month. They average barely a few extra hours of sun than London, yet seem to be sunnier than average all the time.

Edited by B87

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

With who? Me or Markyo?

Haha... I'll let you decide.

Let's just say, one generally does not have the best night's sleep when it's a Baltic 13C in the bedroom!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

Let's just say, one generally does not have the best night's sleep when it's a Baltic 13C in the bedroom!

why? your under a duvet!! No health problems at all, just much easier to regulate your body temp i find. Also 13c is not Baltic!!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Everybody is different i suppose. I draw the line when bedroom gets below 10c....i shut the window!

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I agree, bar an initial potential uncomfortableness I sleep much better the cooler it is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, markyo said:

why? your under a duvet!! No health problems at all, just much easier to regulate your body temp i find. Also 13c is not Baltic!!

If anything it suggests you have good blood circulation, and that your body's ability to regulate temperature is good -- quite the opposite of an underlying health issue.

And I've mentioned this before, but there are plenty of studies which suggest sleeping in colder rooms is much better for one's health. This Summer I've had my bedroom window wide open whenever I've been in the house, so I usually sleep at around 14-17C.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yes, I think most people would be very uncomfortable sleeping at that temp, unless they have like 2 winter duvets or a sleeping bag or something.

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

That's not the point though is it? Yes you might be warm enough under the duvet at that temp, but as soon as you lift the cover you will feel very uncomfortable (well most people would anyway).

And I don't know about you but I don't just use my bedroom for sleeping - I keep my laptop, desk, stationary etc in there so I spend quite a lot of time in there out of bed - so I like to keep it at a comfortable temp - 18C minimum but preferably around 21C.

So I'm not sure it makes much sense to deliberately cool your bedroom to 13C and be okay under a duvet but then freeze the rest of the time you are in your room not sleeping. Why not keep it warmer and just have a lighter duvet/blanket instead?

Just my thoughts.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Relativistic said:

If anything it suggests you have good blood circulation, and that your body's ability to regulate temperature is good -- quite the opposite of an underlying health issue.

And I've mentioned this before, but there are plenty of studies which suggest sleeping in colder rooms is much better for one's health. This Summer I've had my bedroom window wide open whenever I've been in the house, so I usually sleep at around 14-17C.

I have good circulation but I only feel warm when the ambient temp is high, I'm sat in direct sunlight or if I'm moving. 

I can can be quite comfortable walking in just a t-shirt and a hoodie on a mild winters day if I'm out walking, but when sat still indoors I feel cold very easily if it's below say 20C and I'm not wearing heavy clothing.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Well it's a clear sunny day here but it feels more like what we had back in April - very warm sat in direct sunlight out of the breeze, but very chilly in the shade.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Been a good day today for being out in the sun, before autumn arrives tomorrow!

Posted
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I have good circulation but I only feel warm when the ambient temp is high, I'm sat in direct sunlight or if I'm moving. 

I can can be quite comfortable walking in just a t-shirt and a hoodie on a mild winters day if I'm out walking, but when sat still indoors I feel cold very easily if it's below say 20C and I'm not wearing heavy clothing.

Ive heard that too but lower temperatures also allows viruses (including flu and Covid 19) to spread more easily.

Yes I wouldn’t read too much into the benefits of sleeping in refrigerated rooms lol.

Its well known that 18-20C is the best range to sleep in, especially as I don’t sleep fully clothed... I’m all for a fresh room to keep a clear head but I’ve slept in the low teens before and it was not pleasant. Woke up cold in the night and needed a pee! 

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That's not the point though is it? Yes you might be warm enough under the duvet at that temp, but as soon as you lift the cover you will feel very uncomfortable (well most people would anyway).

And I don't know about you but I don't just use my bedroom for sleeping - I keep my laptop, desk, stationary etc in there so I spend quite a lot of time in there out of bed - so I like to keep it at a comfortable temp - 18C minimum but preferably around 21C.

So I'm not sure it makes much sense to deliberately cool your bedroom to 13C and be okay under a duvet but then freeze the rest of the time you are in your room not sleeping.

Just my thoughts.

Well i don't freeze at 13c and i only use my bedroom as a bedroom!! So it makes sense. I get what your saying if you spend a lot of time in your bedroom apart from sleeping but most don't don't forget. As i said before we are all different,different circumstances,different preferences to temp. It makes total sense for me to keep my bedroom as low as i do, i'm lost as to where the very uncomfortable bit comes into it? 

Edited by markyo

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Well i don't freeze at 13c and i only use my bedroom as a bedroom!! So it makes sense. I get what your saying if you spend a lot of time in your bedroom apart from sleeping but most don't don't forget. As i said before we are all different,different circumstances,different preferences to temp. It makes total sense for me to keep my bedroom as low as i do, i'm lost as to where the very uncomfortable bit comes into it? 

Okay, fair enough if you are comfortable with it. I’d need about 3 thick duvets and then about 5 layers whenever I got out of bed lol!

Posted

Looks like we’re getting our second storm of the season, storm Francis will give us a battering tomorrow:

After that it calms down but by the weekend it looks like we’ll have some unseasonably cold nights to contend with. Looks like autumn has arrived early this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, Thundershine said:

Been a good day today for being out in the sun, before autumn arrives tomorrow!

hope not, looks like 21 degrees for many in south, here too if lucky

but aye for Scottish members, if this was Nov to Mar, snow fest especially high up

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252
  • Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looks like we’re getting our second storm of the season, storm Francis will give us a battering tomorrow:

After that it calms down but by the weekend it looks like we’ll have some unseasonably cold nights to contend with. Looks like autumn has arrived early this year.

Had the autumn teaser in July. A brief burst of Summer end of July and first half of August. As usual last week of August is nothing special. Often goes pear shaped in the last week of August. Also to get a very early start to the named storms season is maybe a bad omen for this autumn. Could we be seeing a repeat of storms like the one in October 1987 or the one I remember so well in October 2000 again?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
36 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Okay, fair enough if you are comfortable with it. I’d need about 3 thick duvets and then about 5 layers whenever I got out of bed lol!

Despite only being in my late 20s, I grew up without central heating in our home. Whilst we do have it now, I am pretty much accustomed to 13 Celsius indoor temps during the winter (it's an old house), so I can put up with it if I really had to. Still not particularly pleasant though and I do like to have my bedroom at around 16-18 Celsius when I am sleeping and around 19-21 Celsius at other times.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1