Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
38 minutes ago, markyo said:

Folk certainly prefer the good nights sleep this weather brings

That’s the only good thing about it! Saying that, I actually woke up feeling chilly this morning, but that was because I only had a blanket on. The house is certainly getting colder though, only 20°C in the bedroom today. Won’t be too much longer before the central heating goes on and I get the autumn/winter duvet out!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
53 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

VEI4 eruption, you don't really get a meaningful climatic effect until VEI6. I think the guy talking about Yellowstone is alluding to VEI8 (though i'm not sure of his point). 

On the whole summer point i think people forget that 2018 was both warmer and drier than average. Indeed only 2011, 2012 and 2015 were meaningfully cooler than average this decade. The rest have been mixed. A sample of 1 good, 3 bad and 6 mixed really is not that abnormal and i'm being very harsh here in marking 2013 and 2014 down for their June and August CET respectively. 

It’s still been a poor decade for summers though, especially compared to the 90s and 2000s. Only 2013, 2014 and 2018 were good here.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Like when you feel the first warmth of the sun in late Feb, the current conditions are a sign of the impending changes to the seasons. 

Autumn is my least favoured season as I hate losing the long days, and it feels a long slog to outdoors weather again. But all in all, if you include Spring it hasn't been disastrous this year, just very erratic and hard to plan around.

Hopefully, we can scrape some more life out of September before the nights draw in. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Me neither. Only problem about the heat is it makes the bedroom very warm at night and so it’s hard to get a good nights sleep. But really I prefer low 20’s warmth which is still very seasonal and is my favourite weather in summer. But that has been in very short supply this summer.

Indeed. Fortunately, not living in the southeast, there have only been a handful of uncomfortable nights, and even they haven't been on a par with some of the last two years. 

As you say, there's been very little in the way of just normal sunny anticyclonic weather this summer. Maybe a few days in July down here but it's either been occasionally hot or just plain poor.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, SLEETY said:

So I take it people prefer this weather to the hot spell,when every other post was moaning about it.

Yeah, damaging winds in August, such fun, wonder why there’s not much moaning about that lol? Would be nice to have a sunny high pressure for a while with warm days in the mid 20’s °C and light winds, with cooler nights for comfort. Seems quite rare, unfortunately 

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

My neighbor has decided to have a barbecue... in the pouring rain... is he a relative of Markyo.....?

Everyone north of Watford has a BBQ in the wind and rain

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

It would be nice if we could get more standard warm summer days.  It seems this summer (especially in the SE) has either had the blowtorch on or pouring rain.  Just want a week or so of 23C and sunshine (hopefully in September or October!)

• Like 2

Posted

It’s starting to feel like autumn is arriving and the first drop into the teens since May. An early taste of the shift into autumn. Still confident of a late hot snap in the first half of September, before it turns cold.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

only 20°C in the bedroom today

I thinks that is were really differ, got the bedroom down to a lovely 13.2c by this morning with the air con, Fantastic for a sunday morning lie in! Haven't had the central heating upstairs for at least 2 years.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking at the forecast until the end of August looks as if that’s it for summer. Too soon to tell for mid-September but I’m having to get used to the idea of a blustery cool bank holiday where jumpers are needed to stay warm

Posted
2 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

Looking at the forecast until the end of August looks as if that’s it for summer. Too soon to tell for mid-September but I’m having to get used to the idea of a blustery cool bank holiday where jumpers are needed to stay warm

Yes, unfortunately the colder weather is creeping in soon. I loathe the period from September to late February. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s starting to feel like autumn is arriving and the first drop into the teens since May. An early taste of the shift into autumn. Still confident of a late hot snap in the first half of September, before it turns cold.

Feeling autumnal here today too, a lot of cloud about, some scattered showers and a very gusty wind. They do say over here that once the wheat and barley crops are cut and the hay bales are rolled, it’s autumn. That happened here a week ago at least. Am hoping for some late warmth as my peppers and chilli’s need to ripen properly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That’s the only good thing about it! Saying that, I actually woke up feeling chilly this morning, but that was because I only had a blanket on. The house is certainly getting colder though, only 20°C in the bedroom today. Won’t be too much longer before the central heating goes on and I get the autumn/winter duvet out! 

It's about the same temp in my bedroom too. Still a bit too warm for me though. I like it about 18C in there, under the duvet that temp is warm enough for me but I like it around 20-21C in the lounge.

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Feeling autumnal here today too, a lot of cloud about, some scattered showers and a very gusty wind. They do say over here that once the wheat and barley crops are cut and the hay bales are rolled, it’s autumn. That happened here a week ago at least. Am hoping for some late warmth as my peppers and chilli’s need to ripen properly. 

What’s your line of work out there? Or do you have a remote job?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It's easy to forget that most of Scotland and Ireland never really got any heat in the June and August spells. 

Has it hit 30C in Scotland this summer or 25C on a consecutive basis even?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
49 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

It's easy to forget that most of Scotland and Ireland never really got any heat in the June and August spells. 

Has it hit 30C in Scotland this summer or 25C on a consecutive basis even?

Plenty of heat in Scotland in June and August.

June:

July:

August:

SE/E/NE Scotland had quite a few 20C+ days in July.

First half of June was great for warmth/sunshine IMBY - numerous days of 20 to 24C. Last week of June delivered a 28C for me. (Couple of fantastic overnight thunderstorms)

August spell delivered a lovely spell of weather here (West Coast) with numerous days between 20 to 26C. (Eastern Scotland had insane thunderstorms)

Not a Summer to remember though for me at least - 2018 and 2019 both fantastic.

Back to the usual crud for Summer 2020! 

Northern Ireland (good in Winter for snow most years) along with Shetland/Orkney usually the worst spots in the UK for Summer sunshine/warmth/heat. 

From solely a UK and Ireland weather perspective I would like to live in the SE England from June to September for proper heat (earlier this month for example) and my current location/Scottish Highlands from October to April for severe gale events, frost and snow! 

Edited by Mr Frost
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
8 hours ago, SLEETY said:

So I take it people prefer this weather to the hot spell,when every other post was moaning about it.

Loving it. Sleeping for night shifts in this is wonderful. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I could name it a few things... but I wouldn't be on this forum very long if I did that!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
5 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

What are the chances of this low pressure system being named by the Met Office? Seems like it will be more disruptive to the majority of the UK compared to Storm Ellen? 

Looking seriously nasty for August. With trees in full leaf, 50-60mph winds could do some serious harm. Serious risk of flooding in Wales too.

• Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

What are the chances of this low pressure system being named by the Met Office? Seems like it will be more disruptive to the majority of the UK compared to Storm Ellen? 

When was the last time the Met Office named a system first? 

It seems other national Met Services name these systems, first and the Met Office adopts the name.  Met Eireann named Storm Ellen. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 hours ago, Josh Rubio said:

which one, Thursday is looking worse here