Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
6 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

There was a short hot spell around the 5th that lasted for a few days. The wet was most likely from thunderstorms and some nights not dropping below 19C

The 16th August was the famous Boscastle flood which came from a localised storm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A lovely evening here in Prague, still 26°C at midnight, proper summer. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Aperol Spritz’s sat out on the terrace. Chatted to a good friend and my Mum earlier online, they both said that the wind was awful today in Berkshire and Middlesex and it didn’t feel very warm. Yuck, nothing worse than howling winds in summer, well, that and drizzle. Experienced too much of both in many UK August’s.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

A lovely evening here in Prague, still 26°C at midnight, proper summer. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Aperol Spritz’s sat out on the terrace. Chatted to a good friend and my Mum earlier online, they both said that the wind was awful today in Berkshire and Middlesex and it didn’t feel very warm. Yuck, nothing worse than howling winds in summer, well, that and drizzle. Experienced too much of both in many UK August’s.

26C at midnight, sod that!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, Don said:

26C at midnight, sod that!

Would be OK if you were in an air conditioned house. Not like here when 20°C at midnight is too warm to sleep.  

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Would be OK if you were in an air conditioned house. Not like here when 20°C at midnight is too warm to sleep.  

I rest my case.  How many houses in the UK are air conditioned currently?  In 30 years time, all of them!!

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

I rest my case.  How many houses in the UK are air conditioned currently?  In 30 years time, all of them!!

I think you're right on the money, there. Literally. Still feels like a mild night out there in Bristol at just under 16C. Anything warmer than that at night gets me restless.

Posted
1 hour ago, kumquat said:

I think you're right on the money, there. Literally. Still feels like a mild night out there in Bristol at just under 16C. Anything warmer than that at night gets me restless.

No such thing as a cool summer now!  

• Like 2

Posted
10 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Really!?! are you talking about your country?...it is in the south and south east of the UK, 26c here yesterday and you feel the humidity at this time of year with the highest SST's.

I meant the UK. 26C is warm but not exceptional. To get 36C you need a tropical continental airmass. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, Don said:

It was certainly on the warm side here, I’ll admit but it was a beautiful evening sitting outside, looking at the stars and planets. I had a big fan on in the bedroom and I slept nearly 8 hours without any problem. A cool shower before bed and a cotton sheet to sleep under, sorted ??
Very few Czech homes have air conditioning, either. Many people here seem to dislike and mistrust it (which, admittedly can be a bit grim on older modes of public transportation in hot weather, but only for a short time). They’re generally a pragmatic bunch, I guess and thankfully there’s very little ineffective wailing and complaining. 

Posted

I noticed more leaves falling off the trees in London recently, but that could be due to the Atlantic storm. Early leaf fall is a sign of a colder winter to come. Probably the first time since 2017 I’ve seen more leaves falling during August. 

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, Don said:

I doubt it. We just don’t have the climate of Spain to need air con for long periods. 

We barely had a couple of weeks of uncomfortable nights, similar to 2019.

2018 had a longer period of hot days.

I don’t see us having a period from late May to late August where temps are consistently above 28 or 29c and hitting low 30s for days on end. It won’t happen anytime soon.

June and July 2020 weren’t hot at all, and in some parts of the UK, the summer has been cold and wet. 

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I noticed more leaves falling off the trees in London recently, but that could be due to the Atlantic storm. Early leaf fall is a sign of a colder winter to come. Probably the first time since 2017 I’ve seen more leaves falling during August. 

According to the ancient weather book I had growing up, another sign of a cold winter is leaves browning and crisping up on the tree, rather than falling yellow and still soft (more especially on native tree species and not after a drought, presumably). I remember seeing a lot of that in Autumn 2010. I definitely have a gut feeling that this winter is going to feature some very chilly weather 

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
18 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Early leaf fall is a sign of a colder winter to come

No it isn't.

They're reacting to previous conditions, they don't predict the weather months ahead.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This isn’t the first time the average temperature has gone up before is it? I’m pretty sure the averages have been constantly oscillating long before human existence. How am I cherry picking? I’m not denying that we’ve seen some records being broken at the top end of the scale. But What about the coldest December for over 100 years back in 2010? Pretty sure we were told in the 90’s that we were past proper winter cold spells. Snow is very unusual for Norway in July and as above, parts of Canada have been very cool this summer. Did you not know that Australia has seen records broken with cold back in May aswell? 

I think to generalise that the normal has gone is a bit over the top. This year overall has been relatively normal. Infact, this is the first decent August we have had since 2003 I believe. Most August’s of recent times have been abysmally cool. 

You struggle to grasp the concept of average, don't you? 

If studies say that on average the Swedish are taller than, say, Spanish that doesn't mean that you can't find a very tall Spanish guy. It's not so hard. 

On average the temperatures have been rising globally, like it or not. Keep denying it is absolutely silly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
13 minutes ago, mathematician said:

You struggle to grasp the concept of average, don't you? 

If studies say that on average the Swedish are taller than, say, Spanish that doesn't mean that you can't find a very tall Spanish guy. It's not so hard. 

On average the temperatures have been rising globally, like it or not. Keep denying it is absolutely silly. 

No I completely understand it. Why are you playing the man rather than the ball here? Funny, the last time I checked, the average peaked in 2016, and hasn’t been bettered for 4 years. So technically they have actually fallen. I can challenge or draw my own conclusions if I want to. We have free thinking on this forum, something that is becoming quite rare these days on most platforms. 

Please include citation if you’re so convinced I’m being silly! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

No I completely understand it. Why are you playing the man rather than the ball here? Funny, the last time I checked, the average peaked in 2016, and hasn’t been bettered for 4 years. So technically they have actually fallen. I can challenge or draw my own conclusions if I want to. We have free thinking on this forum, something that is becoming quite rare these days on most platforms. 

What'll be really interesting (rather than simply the effect of randomness/chaos) will be what happens to global temperatures, when the next strong El Nino comes along... Until that happens, I guess the word 'pause' might enjoy a wee revival  -- a bit like the repeated, over-hyped 'recoveries' in sea-ice extent...?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

No it isn't.

They're reacting to previous conditions, they don't predict the weather months ahead.

Yes my feelings as well...I think books on weather lore (which I fully believed in back in the day) can go out the window with global warming in place.

I've had quite a few leaves down for a number of weeks from apple trees, maples and eucalyptus etc in fact could have taken a photo from the local park which showed many brownish leaves down back at the start of the month. - probably a result of a very dry sunny spring and although this hasn't been the most settled of summers its still been fairly dry where I am and what rain has fallen hasn't been substantial.

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 hours ago, Don said:

What better use, for solar power, could there ever be?:oldgrin:

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

No it isn't.

you never know, they might look at us and think "meh! they can't predict the weather" too.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

We have free thinking on this forum, something that is becoming quite rare these days on most platforms. 

There you go 

Some people nowadays, not just when it comes to weather, confuse free thinking with denying or distorting know facts. 

Global warming is a fact. We can argue what has caused it, whether is good or bad, how to address it or ignore it but it's a fact. Again, like it or not. 

Saying that you don't believe in global warming is like saying that you don't believe that tomorrow the sun will rise. It will, even if you don't believe in it. 

Screenshot_20200822-134403~2.png

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, mathematician said:

There you go imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610imageproxy.php?img=&key=8d7953939bb9d610

Some people nowadays, not just when it comes to weather, confuse free thinking with denying or distorting know facts. 

Global warming is a fact. We can argue what has caused it, whether is good or bad, how to address it or ignore it but it's a fact. Again, like it or not. 

Saying that you don't believe in global warming is like saying that you don't believe that tomorrow the sun will rise. It will, even if you don't believe in it. 

Screenshot_20200822-134403~2.png

Where have I said that I deny that global warming is happening or that I don’t believe it is? Lol. 

1c over a century isn’t exactly a huge amount though is it. To compare the sun rising tomorrow against a temperature that could easily go either way over the next century is quite ridiculous too. 

• Like 2

Posted

If Yellowstone blows anytime, global warming will be completely shut down. Global cooling by the ash in the atmosphere will reduce worldwide temps to well below freezing. 

We constantly face threats from other environmental catastrophes, and the Yellowstone eruption will happen at some point. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not for another 1000 years. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
16 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

This isn’t the first time the average temperature has gone up before is it? I’m pretty sure the averages have been constantly oscillating long before human existence. How am I cherry picking? I’m not denying that we’ve seen some records being broken at the top end of the scale. But What about the coldest December for over 100 years back in 2010? Pretty sure we were told in the 90’s that we were past proper winter cold spells. Snow is very unusual for Norway in July and as above, parts of Canada have been very cool this summer. Did you not know that Australia has seen records broken with cold back in May aswell? 

I think to generalise that the normal has gone is a bit over the top. This year overall has been relatively normal. Infact, this is the first decent August we have had since 2003 I believe. Most August’s of recent times have been abysmally cool. 

What utter nonsense, you really haven't understood the situation we are now in sadly. So every proper climate scientist is wrong? Wow.

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, markyo said:

What utter nonsense, you really haven't understood the situation we are now in sadly. So every proper climate scientist is wrong? Wow.

Source: Climate.gov 

I wouldn’t be saying any of it if there was nothing to challenge it! Have some decency please. 

157E3D04-2B51-4DE6-801A-7675AFCA8020.png