Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
2 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I could count using the fingers on just the one of my hands how many wasps I have seen throughout this summer. One tried to fly through my open window earlier on today but it thankfully flew away after about a minute. I despise those pesky little creatures.

Please come and visit my garden in East Sussex between Hastings and Rye, we have a lovely part of the garden full of wasps very busy in the shrub and tree, I can’t spot the nest but there must be one nearby, there are dozens of them buzzing about. Happy to leave them to go about their business they don’t seem fierce or aggressive and figure they will pop their clogs in the coming weeks. I understand they have a role in the ecosystem clearing up some aphids or something!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Plenty of wasps here over the last few weeks.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Really looking forward to that much needed air mass change today will bring. This humid crap continental mass has been with us for far to long now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Really looking forward to that much needed air mass change today will bring. This humid crap continental mass has been with us for far to long now.

The air hasn’t been continental for a good few days now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very blowy over the last 12 hours. Strongest gust since May.

Posted
19 hours ago, Mike Poole said:

It’s mid August - question for you...has anyone seen any wasps?  I think I’ve seen 3 all month.  Where are they all?  I’m not complaining, i detest the things.  But there must be a reason why there are so few (around here, anyway).  The very dry spring, maybe?  Or some weird consequence of lockdown measures earlier in the year.

Anyone know?

We had a nest in the cavity wall in late May. Couldnt see it , may of been a small nest, Was worried it would come through on inside into the bedroom. Powdered the hole , dont see them coming and going from hole . Hopefully they are not in the cavity still.

Dont think ive ever seen a wasps nest in person.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
43 minutes ago, MP-R said:

The air hasn’t been continental for a good few days now.

Well tropical maritime then - by and large it seems to come from a tropical direction (certainly this month) most of the time either continental or maritime.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well tropical maritime then - by and large it seems to come from a tropical direction (certainly this month) most of the time either continental or maritime.

This change from the continental/maritime air mass we've had is a blessed relief. So sick of that close uncomfortable feeling.

Edited by markyo

Posted
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

This change from the continental/maritime air mass we've had is a blessed relief. So sick of that close uncomfortable feeling.

Yeh, the warm rain isnt comfortable,  the cold rain is.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Quite an uncomfortable sleep with the temperature actually rising throughout the night, up to 19°C.

Though as each day passes, we get closer to autumn and the lovely cooler nights. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 hours ago, mountain shadow said:

It's mainly a Western storm and if it ain't happening in the South East it ain't worth talking about.

There has been strong winds here for a couple of days with intermittent downpours.

Localised flooding on already sodden ground after months of rain.

Yes I heard Irelands got it pretty bad. Cork has received a red warning for wind from the Irish Met office. It was a lovely day here yesterday, low 20s with plenty of sun and just a pleasant breeze. Today is a different story, overcast with gusty winds and feeling much cooler.

Yes that is true! If it’s not happening in the south east then it doesn’t exist lol! 

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

What are you talking about? Heatwave was over a week last Thursday here. It was only really Tuesday and Wednesday that were hot, at least here anyway. Last Sunday was cold and misty here when we were bringing down a North easterly off the North Sea. Definitely not continental!

Yesterday was warm and sunny but it definitely wasn’t humid. There was a nice breeze as well.

Geez, for someone who works in sauna conditions you really have a very poor tolerance for normal summer warmth, let alone heat.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Exactly. Yesterday’s heat was 25c and sunny with a breeze. A dry heat and it felt like those warm days in mid to late May when it was warm, but without the humidity. Just a dry heat.

The nights have been warm this week, but not hot, just a bit on the warm side, but that’s to be expected as it’s August. 

The cold nights can wait until September, and that’s not far away now.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What are you talking about? Heatwave was over a week last Thursday here. It was only really Tuesday and Wednesday that were hot, at least here anyway. Last Sunday was cold and misty here when we were bringing down a North easterly off the North Sea. Definitely not continental!

Yesterday was warm and sunny but it definitely wasn’t humid. There was a nice breeze as well.

Geez, for someone who works in sauna conditions you really have a very poor tolerance for normal summer warmth, let alone heat.

He can’t stop whining about a bit of warm summer weather, which is normal for August. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

Yeh, the warm rain isnt comfortable,  the cold rain is.

I’m totally the opposite! I’m fine with warm rain, I even don’t mind being out in it and getting slightly wet if it’s warm rain in the summer, but cold rain is just horrible, damp, cold and miserable.

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I've been working in Greater London most of this week. As well as Norfolk. Its not poor tolerance,its a hatred due to the fact i work in such conditions all year round!! Where i have been working,that area i have found humid. You will not have!.....you weren't there!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

He can’t stop whining about a bit of warm summer weather, which is normal for August. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Exactly. Yesterday’s heat was 25c and sunny with a breeze. A dry heat and it felt like those warm days in mid to late May when it was warm, but without the humidity. Just a dry heat.

The nights have been warm this week, but not hot, just a bit on the warm side, but that’s to be expected as it’s August. 

The cold nights can wait until September, and that’s not far away now.

Yes I agree completely. I’ve quite enjoyed the warmish days and mild nights this week, not looking forward to autumn at all, the return of chilly nights, ground frost, cold rain, seeing my breath outside. Makes me shiver just thinking about it! :S

Posted
25 minutes ago, markyo said:

I've been working in Greater London most of this week. As well as Norfolk. Its not poor tolerance,its a hatred due to the fact i work in such conditions all year round!! Where i have been working,that area i have found humid. You will not have!.....you weren't there!

My apologies, but since you work in those conditions year round, in artificially heated rooms, I would have thought you would be getting more used to it/acclimatising to it by now? And as it’s hot year round, and artificially heated, then the weather will therefore have no effect on the conditions inside the building where you work, so I’m not sure why would you be so bothered about what the weather is doing anyway... 

If anything, if I were you, I’d rather it was warm/hot outside as it would at least give my body chance to acclimatise to the hot conditions inside. I mean, I hate overheated buildings in winter because when I’ve been outside, my body has got used to the outside temperature and if I’ve been walking I’ve also become warmer due to circulation, so it’s always a bit of a “shock” walking into a warm/hot building in winter. Then after you’ve been in there for awhile and walk out it’s always a bit of a nasty shock going outside again. If it’s going to be hot inside then I like it to be hot outside too, I hate a big temperature difference between indoors and outdoors. I also wear warmer clothing in winter so I don’t like it too hot inside. Far easier to keep my coat/jacket on than have to remove it. Also overheated buildings in winter feel stuffy and artificial, and I get cross at the fact that it is unnecessary, wastes money and is bad for the environment.

But I don’t have a problem with hot buildings in the summer, as the heat is just natural and is justified. I’m also more likely to be wearing lighter clothing in summer, and I am acclimatised to higher temperatures, so I can deal with it much better.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
11 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

My apologies, but since you work in those conditions year round, in artificially heated rooms, I would have thought you would be getting more used to it/acclimatising to it by now? And as it’s hot year round, and artificially heated, then the weather will therefore have no effect on the conditions inside the building where you work, so I’m not sure why would you be so bothered about what the weather is doing anyway.

If anything, if I were you, I’d rather it was warm/hot outside as it would at least give my body chance to acclimatise to the hot conditions inside. I mean, I hate overheated buildings in winter because when I’ve been outside, my body has got used to the outside temperature and if I’ve been walking I’ve also become warmer due to circulation, so it’s always a bit of a “shock” walking into a warm/hot building in winter. Then after you’ve been in there for awhile and walk out it’s always a bit of a nasty shock going outside again. If it’s going to be hot inside then I like it to be hot outside too, I hate a big temperature difference between indoors and outdoors. I also wear warmer clothing in winter as I don’t like it too hot inside. Far easier to keep my coat/jacket on than have to remove it. Also overheated buildings in winter feel stuffy and artificial, and I get cross at the fact that it is unnecessary, wastes money and is bad for the environment.

But I don’t have a problem with hot buildings in the summer, as the heat is just natural and is justified. I’m also more likely to be wearing lighter clothing in summer, and I am acclimatised to higher temperatures, so I can deal with it much better.

Sorry wasn't having a go,far from it! My apologies.....The problem we have is when leaving the sites your core temp is high so any hot or more humid weather causes the discomfort of a high core temp to remain for longer. Its also very surprising how much the ambient temp can have a non linear increase effect in the rooms, something like a runaway effect if to hot. Non working days it has nowhere near the same effect apart from at night when its humid, then i find sleeping a real pain!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Froze were the Days said:

Well last weekend I had North easterly winds and North Sea mist, so it definitely wasn’t continental then, polar continental at best. 

I love a nice balmy tropical maritime or tropical continental airmass, hopefully we will get more of that in the autumn this year, can’t stand horrible cold, wet, showery polar maritime airmass. Yuck!

• Like 1

Posted

Quite a surreal feeling day today, its actually rather warm at 22.7C but the wind has been gusting up to 51mph. Feels very strange to have a 'warm' wind.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, reef said:

Quite a surreal feeling day today, its actually rather warm 22.7C but the wind has been gusting up to 51mph. Feels very strange to have a 'warm' wind.

Yesterday was kind of like that here, warm and breezy. Today is not warm here though, high teens at best, and damp overcast.

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m totally the opposite! I’m fine with warm rain, I even don’t mind being out in it and getting slightly wet if it’s warm rain in the summer, but cold rain is just horrible, damp, cold and miserable.

I was being sarcastic.  

Just highlighting the constant rain over here. 

• Like 1