Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

You might get one this year. I can smell a colder winter. Trust me, its going to happen. If by Christmas, we are still at 10-12c days, you can sue me!

I'll sue you!

Posted
6 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

I'll sue you!

I'll be out of pocket when I tuck into my turkey and Christmas pudding.

I'm predicting -1c for Christmas Day this year, with clear blue skies.  No snow though.

Posted

Today has felt like an October day in London. Horrible, dark and drizzle and feels very cool. Forecast 00z this morning to actual a complete disaster from ECM up to 7°C too high.

1A355F5C-E547-4BF1-BAE7-EA02B21283C3.thumb.png.1955654970b8bed584b024483996312c.png3C93C5B3-FCB6-4B8D-A49B-44E967DB2387.thumb.png.23f52d6364eced1ac907ab806f22d433.png

Posted
27 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Today has felt like an October day in London. Horrible, dark and drizzle and feels very cool. Forecast 00z this morning to actual a complete disaster from ECM up to 7°C too high.

1A355F5C-E547-4BF1-BAE7-EA02B21283C3.thumb.png.1955654970b8bed584b024483996312c.png3C93C5B3-FCB6-4B8D-A49B-44E967DB2387.thumb.png.23f52d6364eced1ac907ab806f22d433.png

That's a massive oops from the ECM.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Yep much cooler than expected in London Town on Friday. Big shock to the system after the recent heat.

Posted

We have just had 6 consecutive days between 33c and 36c. Looking back to the hottest spell of the epic 1995 summer, and these were the run of temps at Heathrow that year:

29th Jul: 30.6c

30th Jul: 31.2c

31st July: 32.6c

1st Aug: 34.3c

2nd Aug: 33c

3rd Aug: 32.2c

There were then 13 further days in August above 27c, 6 of them over 30c. What a month that August was. The July was also excellent overall.

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 minutes ago, danm said:

We have just had 6 consecutive days between 33c and 36c. Looking back to the hottest spell of the epic 1995 summer, and these were the run of temps at Heathrow that year:

There were then 13 further days in August above 27c, 6 of them over 30c. What a month that August was. The July was also excellent overall.

I wish I was old enough (only for this) to remember those two months. Although, I think we’d have been a bit worried about the summer outlook in early June if this forum was around then...

Posted
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I wish I was old enough (only for this) to remember those two months. Although, I think we’d have been a bit worried about the summer outlook in early June if this forum was around then...

Yes we sometimes forget how cool that June was apart from the last few days. I was 9 years old in 1995, but have plenty of fond memories of day after day of hot and sunny weather throughout the school holidays.

Edited by danm

Posted
25 minutes ago, danm said:

Yep much cooler than expected in London Town on Friday. Big shock to the system after the recent heat.

I would say a big relief rather than a big shock to the system!

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Don said:

I would say a big relief rather than a big shock to the system!

As much as I wanted some relief from the heat, today was too cool and dull for me.

Posted
Just now, danm said:

As much as I wanted some relief from the heat, today was too cool and dull for me.

I agree it was a bit dull but temperature wise it was perfect for a power walk.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
10 hours ago, danm said:

August 1995 had an average max of 27.0c in London. I'm not sure why August always struggles to match the hottest July months, when highs on average are only 0.3c cooler? 3 warmest Julys are 28.3c, 28.2c, 27.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
14 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Been an absolute disaster here too. Shouldn’t moan after all the heat, but the last 4 days have been the darkest and gloomiest summer days I can remember. Total cloud cover all day every day, temps no higher than 19c.....as you say I’ve had forecast maxes of 25-28c here the last few days and not got close at all. Major model and tv forecast bust. The cloud just isn’t breaking. West is best here. Been lovely in the NW.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, B87 said:

August 1995 had an average max of 27.0c in London. I'm not sure why August always struggles to match the hottest July months, when highs on average are only 0.3c cooler? 3 warmest Julys are 28.3c, 28.2c, 27.6c.

The sun is weaker in August, so you're never going to reach the same maximum temperatures on average. You're relying more on latent heat by then, so with warmer SSTs around the UK its the average minima that make up the difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

And the moaning and complaining really begins i can see...after what has been the hottest spell in decades some just aren't satisfied they want more. Amazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
19 minutes ago, reef said:

The sun is weaker in August, so you're never going to reach the same maximum temperatures on average. You're relying more on latent heat by then, so with warmer SSTs around the UK its the average minima that make up the difference.

August average max isn't noticeably lower than in July though, plus by sunshine percentage, August is the sunniest month of the year (though that has been July in recent years). 

July: 23.5c/13.9c

August 23.2c/13.7c

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
Just now, markyo said:

And the moaning and complaining really begins i can see...after what has been the hottest spell in decades some just aren't satisfied they want more. Amazing!

I think is in the north east near the coast are entitled to moan it’s been abysmal here. We haven’t even had a heatwave here just endless sea fog and drizzle. Same again today

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, seabreeze86 said:

I think is in the north east near the coast are entitled to moan it’s been abysmal here. We haven’t even had a heatwave here just endless sea fog and drizzle. Same again today

For me that would have been heaven after the last 8 days at work!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Aye same here recently, last 2 days didn't burn off until gone 2pm, today it's here but patchier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Wow, wanting warmth and sunshine in summer, who’d believe it? I guess it’s now a crime

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Wow, wanting warmth and sunshine in summer, who’d believe it? I guess it’s now a crime

Indeed lol. I think maybe this forum isn't the place for him given most of us prefer interesting or at least seasonal weather. 

There's something cosy about a shut in day with drizzle and fog on the hills, from say mid October onwards, but not on the 15th August.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Indeed lol. I think maybe this forum isn't the place for him given most of us prefer interesting or at least seasonal weather. 

There's something cosy about a shut in day with drizzle and fog on the hills, from say mid October onwards, but not on the 15th August.

Yes, I do wonder why some people are on here if all they want is average, average, average all year round. Especially in our generally boring climate, where decent summer weather isn’t the rule. Plenty of time for chilly mists and fogs, etc, they certainly do have their beauty but at the right time of year.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 3