Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Well 6 days straight were London has recorded above 34oC everyday. That’s a record. It’s been a pretty intense, hot week 

Indeed. They really need to get air conditioning on all the trains, buses and offices. It should be made mandatory. If I was mayor of London right now, that is the first thing I would do. That city is becoming more and more of a heat trap. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 40°C recorded there in the next 10 years.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Indeed. They really need to get air conditioning on all the trains, buses and offices. It should be made mandatory. If I was mayor of London right now, that is the first thing I would do. That city is becoming more and more of a heat trap. Wouldn’t be surprised to see 40°C recorded there in the next 10 years.

I used the Central Line once the other day with a mask on, and thought I’m never going by that route again to work.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well that’s something I definitely didn’t expect. Are SE winds typically hot there?

They can be, it depends on the strength and when they kick in. What often happens during hot spells is the temperature rockets up during the morning before the sea breeze kicks in by midday and the temperature moderates. This spell has been slightly different though, winds have mainly been from the north or north-east and persistently so rather than just after midday, so it has been cooler all round.

It has been a pleasant spell though, as 1995 was. Comfortably warm, nights with minima of 14-16C, dry and plenty of sunshine. I imagine many in the south would prefer it!

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

I think most people enjoy some summery weather - a week of temps this high in the UK is unprecedented though! I suspect 34-36c for days on end is too high for many people who just aren’t used to it in the UK.

Yes it’s okay for a day or two but anything more than that and it’s too much. In fact I find more than 3 days above 25°C too much. Can’t imagine what it’s like to have 34°C + for 6 days in a row like in London!  

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Man With Beard said:

Yes I don't think this spell can be considered to be better than that. But 1976 was the best in living memory.

I'd probably give this a draw with 2003 - for heat without a break, this was slightly better, but of course we haven't had that signature 100F+ day.

I'm speaking about the area immediately around me of course; Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey, maybe London?

Writtle (nr Chelmsford in Essex) has now had three six-day 30+C spells:

image.thumb.png.c683d763e120835c73c7999b287ffd61.png

It's clear that this year's has been the most intense, meaning mid-Essex has experienced its hottest spell of weather on record.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes it’s okay for a day or two but anything more than that and it’s too much. In fact I find more than 3 days above 25°C too much. Can’t imagine what it’s like to have 34°C + for 6 days in a row like in London! :eek

I can tell you. It’s like a warm wall of heat that smothers you.  As a heat lover, I will concede it’s been a little too warm, but still glad we are getting a good spell of summer weather in August. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Very dark now with frequent lightning and thunder.  Weather radar shows an almost complete area of red across the area.

Posted
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Well if your not working...........imagine being on a night shift tonight,trying to sleep, or facing a public transport trip home, or trying to cool a hot room for a baby to sleep....the list goes on and on and on.

Exactly. But too many people are just like “well those things don’t apply to me so I don’t care. I can just chill out in the garden in my swim shorts and my 400 gallon pool”. Not a shred of empathy for those having to work/sleep/commute in the heat.

• Like 4

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

My lifestyle choices thus far ensure that none of these are an issue. As it is, I am currently working outside in the garden in a pair of shorts.

Well that’s all right then! Never mind about all the people having to commute on hot trains, work for long hours outdoors or in stuffy office without air conditioning, all the people having to take care of family members struggling in the heat, all the nurses having to work extra hard in hospitals. 

But none of that matters I can chill in my fancy villa with built-in air conditioning and my massive outdoor pool.

• Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Sat at my desk my in lounge, temp at desk is 31.9C currently. I'm still enjoying though.....More people openly moan about things I find and post they are managing, enjoying things...just my thoughts but I do understand not everyone likes it but for those at least they usually have 5-15days per year to get through verses those that don't like cold and rain have 250+days plus to deal with it.....basically its a case of get over it lol. 

To be fair though it is far easier to deal with 5-15°C and rain than 30°C+ heat and humidity. Just throw on a raincoat and you’ll be fine, whereas with the heat there is only so much you can do - wear light and loose clothing, use a fan/air con if you have it/can afford it, drink lots of chilled water, eat ice cream etc. And a lot of people have to work outdoors or in hot stuffy offices and commute on hot trains/buses and have to wear work clothes at work as well.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

With regards to that record (1961), was there a hot spell like this before then or did records for this kind of heatwave only date back as far as then?

For the first time In days I can feel a breeze and its nearly 8PM and 26C, way cooler than other nights. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Exactly. But too many people are just like “well those things don’t apply to me so I don’t care. I can just chill out in the garden in my swim shorts and my 400 gallon pool”. Not a shred of empathy for those having to work/sleep/commute in the heat.

East lancs mate. I love the heat, but I’m also one of those who’s having to commute on public transport in London, and into London. I don’t have a position that enables me to work from home.

I have managed to just deal with it, because I know it’s not going to last for a long time. The cool damp conditions wil however, dominate the weather between mid September until Christmas time. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
26 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well that’s all right then! Never mind about all the people having to commute on hot trains, work for long hours outdoors or in stuffy office without air conditioning, all the people having to take care of family members struggling in the heat, all the nurses having to work extra hard in hospitals. 

But none of that matters I can chill in my fancy villa with built-in air conditioning and my massive outdoor pool.

But we don’t control the weather! It happens despite what we ‘wish for’. Liking the hot weather and wanting it to continue is not selfish. It’s a weather forum, where many people like extremes. Let’s face it, the UK climate is pretty boring normally.

• Like 1

Posted

Actually made 30C at Shawbury in August. First time since 2003! https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/observations/gcqh76ug7

Storms rumbling around again, had one overhead about an hour ago and one nearby now but not raining currently. Today it feels like a proper heatwave at last, sunny until the storms arrived in the evening and the 30C heat finally gets west of Birmingham. 

2020 now 10 days with thunder (3 in Aug, 6 in June and 1 in May). That's the first time that's happened for years as well. 2 or 3 days had become normal in the 2010s.

• Like 1

Posted

Well that was weird.

Went outside a few minutes ago and felt a bit fresh, and thought the cooler air must be pushing through.

Then checked my weather station: Still 26C!! The sort of value I'd expect at this time in an average heatwave.

Tells me I've got a bit too acclimatized to the heat. It's going to feel really fresh when the maximum is back to the normal 21C!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

M P R sounds like one selfish individual. 

I don’t have the luxury of a garden, living in a studio flat in west London. The surrounding area is nice, but we can’t enjoy the open air at home. It’s a shame, but we are looking to move elsewhere next year. One more winter to get through, when the flat becomes like an ice box. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The vast majority of offices do have air con. Every one I’ve ever worked in have them. On the tube, it is already partially air conditioned. The walk through trains on the London Overground, District, Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines are all air conditioned. 

Its the deep level tube lines - northern, Victoria, Piccadilly, central and jubilee lines - where there is still no air con. This is mainly down to the technical challenge of implementing it so deep and with the tunnels literally shaped like tubes (hence the nickname). The lines where air con is already there are either surface lines the entire way (overground) or are just below ground level. 

Buses need to be air conditioned. They get so hot. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, danm said:

The vast majority of offices do have air con. Every one I’ve ever worked in have them. On the tube, it is already partially air conditioned. The walk through trains on the London Overground, District, Circle, Metropolitan and Hammersmith & City lines are all air conditioned. 

Its the deep level tube lines - northern, Victoria, Piccadilly, central and jubilee lines - where there is still no air con. This is mainly down to the technical challenge of implementing it so deep and with the tunnels literally shaped like tubes (hence the nickname). The lines where air con is already there are either surface lines the entire way (overground) or are just below ground level. 

Buses need to be air conditioned. They get so hot. 

It’s only been since 2018 or 17. I can’t imagine how we managed with the heatwaves of 1976, 83, 89, 90 and 95 with public transport, but we somehow did. 

The deep tube lines are horrendous, even during a spell of 27c, which is already hot underground, but 30c days are horrible on the deep underground lines. I’m so glad I don’t have to use the Central Line like I used to. The district line is much more comfortable.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s only been since 2018 or 17. I can’t imagine how we managed with the heatwaves of 1976, 83, 89, 90 and 95 with public transport, but we somehow did. 

The deep tube lines are horrendous, even during a spell of 27c, which is already hot underground, but 30c days are horrible on the deep underground lines. I’m so glad I don’t have to use the Central Line like I used to. The district line is much more comfortable.

I’m surprised the tube gets so hot though. It is usually much cooler underground during a heatwave, as no sun can get there. Deep caves stay at a constant temperature year round.

Posted

I’ve just been out in the garden now in just shorts, a t-shirt and a pair of sandals and it’s still so warm outside. There is a slight breeze which is nice but it’s still so warm. Never known it to be this warm at this time before. Currently 22°C with 80% humidity but feels more like 28°C. Probably due to the high humidity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Still thundering, now almost continual near torrential rain.  Seems that its my area that is affected as no-one else is commenting.

Edit: Outdoor temp 20C, RH 86% @ 10:15pm

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Still thundering, now almost continual near torrential rain.  Seems that its my area that is affected as no-one else is commenting.

The south of the NW region seems to be getting all the action at the moment! Nothing up here since Monday night!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, heat aka summer + snow

Another night of 30C in my bedroom. Hurry up rain!! Meanwhile, time to chill in the garden.

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m surprised the tube gets so hot though. It is usually much cooler underground during a heatwave, as no sun can get there. Deep caves stay at a constant temperature year round.

The underground in London used to be cooler, but since the 1970s or maybe even before, the tunnels became much warmer. This is due to the newer trains, friction caused by braking on the tracks, which in turn has generated heat in the tunnels. The tunnel walls are now very warm in the summer months. 

New York City subway suffered from similar problems during the 1980 heatwave .