Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Probably outside making the most of it... like myself.

Well if your not working...........imagine being on a night shift tonight,trying to sleep, or facing a public transport trip home, or trying to cool a hot room for a baby to sleep....the list goes on and on and on.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

Well if your not working...........imagine being on a night shift tonight,trying to sleep, or facing a public transport trip home, or trying to cool a hot room for a baby to sleep....the list goes on and on and on.

My lifestyle choices thus far ensure that none of these are an issue. As it is, I am currently working outside in the garden in a pair of shorts.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, markyo said:

There is a very notable absence of folk on here now saying how much they are enjoying this weather....speaks volumes.

I'm an oddity. I love it statistically, but not at nighttime!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
28 minutes ago, markyo said:

There is a very notable absence of folk on here now saying how much they are enjoying this weather....speaks volumes.

I think most people enjoy some summery weather - a week of temps this high in the UK is unprecedented though! I suspect 34-36c for days on end is too high for many people who just aren’t used to it in the UK.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, markyo said:

All probably down the beach or in the park enjoying it rather than posting about.....

Posted
5 minutes ago, Alderc said:

All probably down the beach or in the park enjoying it rather than posting about.....

Not working then....big difference.

Edited by markyo

Posted
59 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Yes I don't think this spell can be considered to be better than that. But 1976 was the best in living memory.

I'd probably give this a draw with 2003 - for heat without a break, this was slightly better, but of course we haven't had that signature 100F+ day.

I'm speaking about the area immediately around me of course; Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey, maybe London?

Summer 2018, 2013, or even 1983 will be better remembered for heat than 2020. Summers will longer spells of warm or hot sunny weather, for weeks on end, regardless of whether or not they break records, will be remembered over summers with a high temperature for 5 days or so.

Not to say i'm downplaying how hot its been.

• Like 4

Posted
47 minutes ago, markyo said:

I'm still here mate. Keep the heat coming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not working then....big difference.

Sat at my desk my in lounge, temp at desk is 31.9C currently. I'm still enjoying though.....More people openly moan about things I find and post they are managing, enjoying things...just my thoughts but I do understand not everyone likes it but for those at least they usually have 5-15days per year to get through verses those that don't like cold and rain have 250+days plus to deal with it.....basically its a case of get over it lol. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Sat at my desk my in lounge, temp at desk is 31.9C currently. I'm still enjoying though.....More people openly moan about things I find and post they are managing, enjoying things...just my thoughts but I do understand not everyone likes it but for those at least they usually have 5-15days per year to get through verses those that don't like cold and rain have 250+days plus to deal with it.....basically its a case of get over it lol. 

I'll take the same attitude when you spend the autumn, winter and spring moaning about cloud and rain - get over it, it's the UK, what do you expect?

People are going to complain about conditions that are uncomfortable or destructive, regardless of whether you personally enjoy such conditions, deal with it.

• Like 4

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Current watch level: Level 3 - Heatwave Action

Issued at: 08:40 on Wed 12 Aug 2020

There is a 90 % probability of Heat-Health criteria being met between 0900 on Monday and 0900 on Friday in parts of England.

This alert updates that issued at 08:47 Thursday 06 August. The alert level has increased to level 3 for West Midlands and East Midlands as confidence in hot weather and warm night thresholds is higher for Thursday. The alert level has also increased to level 2 for northwest England and Yorkshire and the Humber because locally some areas could meet thresholds through Thursday. Alert thresholds remain unchanged in all other regions. This forecast is under daily review, with the most likely change being a progressive downgrade in probability from the north and west late in the week. It may be extended into the weekend for the south.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/heat-health/?tab=heatHealth&season=normal#?tab=heatHealth

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

There was a big storm over west London so that will have caused it. That said. It is a big drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
21 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Summer 2018, 2013, or even 1983 will be better remembered for heat than 2020. Summers will longer spells of warm or hot sunny weather, for weeks on end, regardless of whether or not they break records, will be remembered over summers with a high temperature for 5 days or so.

Not to say i'm downplaying how hot its been.

Yep, a week of hot weather isnt going to save this summer - especially as the rest of August looks poor as well. All of the memorable summers had lengthy warm and dry periods of a few weeks at least. 1 good week of out 12 doesn’t constitute a good summer sadly, as exceptional as this has been.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

There was a big storm over west London so that will have caused it. That said. It is a big drop.

Big? Massive more like, 15C drop wow

Posted
25 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Oh dear....you just don't get it do you. Bragging about sat at a desk at 31.9c says it all. I had a nurse collapse on me yesterday due to the heat,. Get over it? Lovely statement

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Typical! I live in Ealing, but work in the City District, which is near St Paul's and i saw the edge of the storm. The towers were high, and could hear the thunder. Hopefully more to come later.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I'm still here mate. Keep the heat coming.

No surprise there mate,wouldn't have expected anything else from you!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Here's a rundown of summers I remember for long periods of heat and lengthy warm sunny spells. 

1983, 1984, 1989, 1990, 1994(Hot second half of June, hottest July since 1983 at that stage), 1995, 2003, 2006(poor august though), then we had a long gap until 2013. Then 2018.

All the above can be considered as hot or really good summers, due to long sunny periods. 1997 doesn't cut it, as most of that summer was unsettled, and while August 2020 has been great, June and July were poor. The spring of 2020 was amazing though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Typical! I live in Ealing, but work in the City District, which is near St Paul's and i saw the edge of the storm. The towers were high, and could hear the thunder. Hopefully more to come later.

I remember being in London, way back in either late July or early August 1973 (back in the days when 82f was still considered 'hot') and seeing torrents of water cascading down the steps to the Underground, following a short, but intense, thunderstorm... and I missed all the action!:oldgrin:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, markyo said:

I’ll admit it’s a bit on the hot side for me (especially at night) but it is an interesting and exceptional event, plus there have been some seriously beefy thunderstorms, with likely more to come. It’s also about time we had a hot August, as so many recent August’s have been pretty disappointingly autumnal. The heat won’t last much longer.

• Like 1