Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
Just now, MP-R said:

Given how little of the summer this type of weather occupies, it's still not of high enough concern for new builds to be completely changed. As you've pointed out, air con is not environmentally friendly either.

I think we need to calm down - this hygrowave we're in hasn't even lasted a week yet.

Lasted quite long and they will become moer prolonged and frequent in the future. Especially when you consider the southeast is probbaly gonna hit 40C sooner or later. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

1 minute ago, MP-R said:

I think we need to calm down - this hygrowave we're in hasn't even lasted a week yet.

Easy to say when you don't live in London..

Approaching midnight and still 28°C at Heathrow and 26°C at St James Park.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, Stabilo19 said:

I've lived in greater London before so am aware, as well as Madrid where this is not uncommon.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

Lasted quite long and they will become moer prolonged and frequent in the future. Especially when you consider the southeast is probbaly gonna hit 40C sooner or later. 

May do, may not do. Let's not forget that this time last week, much of the country including the southeast had single figure minima quite widespread...

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MP-R said:

I've lived in greater London before so am aware, as well as Madrid where this is not uncommon.

The fact that it isn't uncommon is surely indicative of the state of the climate down here anyway. Maybe its because I'm young, but I don't recall an extended period of weather like this where night time temps have been so high. At least we don't have a drought to worry about but Madrid is nothing like London, its way further south and further inland and can actually be colder than London in winter. And Madrid has air conditioning and everything is built for hot weather. not london

• Like 1

Posted

No question that 40C will be reached, and probably already has, just not officially.

Things will only change in terms of a change of lifestyle / building design if we start to regularly see weeks of temps in the mid 30s. Despite the warming, we will still see large chunks of summer where we don’t see heatwave conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
10 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Very rare to get persistent mid 30s + tropical nights like we're having so I suspect you probably haven't experienced London as it is now. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Madrid vs. London are not comparable. Infrastructure, lifestyle etc. different in regards to summer weather. 

Edited by Stabilo19

Posted
2 minutes ago, qwertyK said:

The fact that it isn't uncommon is surely indicative of the state of the climate down here anyway. Maybe its because I'm young, but I don't recall an extended period of weather like this where night time temps have been so high. At least we don't have a drought to worry about but Madrid is nothing like London, its way further south and further inland and can actually be colder than London in winter. And Madrid has air conditioning and everything is built for hot weather. not london

I think you've misunderstood my post on a number of levels.

1 - This weather is uncommon in this country, even the SE.

2 - I have experienced the more unpleasant hot nights having lived in London before, as well as Madrid, the LATTER where it is not uncommon to still be 28C at this time.

3 - I recommend you live in Madrid before guessing what the weather is like. It's chilly in winter for Spain, but most days in winter are over 10C, often nearly 15C, and minima totally depends on urban versus rural environment. It hardly ever goes below freezing in Madrid itself but frequently goes down to -10C in the mountains.

4 - Madrid also doesn't typically have air conditioning, contrary to what people think. The only places it does that are not like this country, are the likes of public transport. Houses do not typically have it installed as, outside of summer, there's no need for it. I think many people assume everywhere is like the coastal holiday destinations.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Very rare to get consistent mid 30s + tropical nights like we're having so I suspect you probably haven't experienced London as it is now. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Madrid vs. London are not comparable. Infrastructure, lifestyle etc. different in regards to summer weather. 

Refer to my response to qwertyK.

1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

It’s steaming here in South London. Awful. 

Any Londoners reading this, hang on in there, just 2 more tropical nights to go. 

Edited by Mr Brown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
49 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Every day is hotter than the last as they hold the heat. 

This is what I’m finding. 5 days straight now of temperatures between 33c and 36c. Each day the house gets that bit hotter. 

11 days ago when the temperature got to 37.8c, it cooled down in the evening as a cold front went through. We opened my 1 year olds bedroom windows once it went dark and pulled his blinds up to let the cool air in. The temperature on his thermometer dropped from about 30c to 24c when me and the wife came up to bed. This time, after 5 straight days of excessive heat, it was 31c in his room when we put him to bed (with a fan blowing straight on him), and after leaving the windows open, it was still 29c/30c in his room when we came up to bed.

I was considering buying a portable A/C unit for his room before this heatwave and wish I had now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Thunderstorms, Wind
32 minutes ago, Mr Brown said:

It’s steaming here in South London. Awful. 

Any Londoners reading this, hand on in there, just 2 more tropical nights to go. 

South London too, 34 in my bedroom earlier, dropped down to a cool 30 now, it is absolutely unbearable and the storms seem to be giving us a miss too!

Posted
7 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

If you can sleep in 30 degree heat then you are among a very small minority! 

These are not warm nights, they're hot and unbearable. Nowhere else in the UK consistently retains the heat as much as London does. 

July 1983 was also very hot at night in London. This has happened before, and even at just 30c day maxes, the nights can be still hot.

People need to get a grip. It will be cold soon. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just missed out on the high minima record again it seems - plenty of places held up between 22 and 23 last night but none could get near that 23.9C from 1990. A tough nut to crack!

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Just missed out on the high minima record again it seems - plenty of places held up between 22 and 23 last night but none could get near that 23.9C from 1990. A tough nut to crack!

So can we squeeze out another very hot one today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
6 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

One more go tonight, actually if there is more cloud tonight then there might be a chance in the south.

image.thumb.png.e98951cd2ed708ddc5b1d82abbcfb59c.png

Maxima now forecast to be similar to yesterday (Arpege perhaps favouring central East Anglia for the top spot), 30c looks possible anywhere in England away from the coasts, East Wales also with a good shout and even an outside bet for the Scottish Borders.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
7 hours ago, danm said:

This is what I’m finding. 5 days straight now of temperatures between 33c and 36c. Each day the house gets that bit hotter. 

11 days ago when the temperature got to 37.8c, it cooled down in the evening as a cold front went through. We opened my 1 year olds bedroom windows once it went dark and pulled his blinds up to let the cool air in. The temperature on his thermometer dropped from about 30c to 24c when me and the wife came up to bed. This time, after 5 straight days of excessive heat, it was 31c in his room when we put him to bed (with a fan blowing straight on him), and after leaving the windows open, it was still 29c/30c in his room when we came up to bed.

I was considering buying a portable A/C unit for his room before this heatwave and wish I had now.

These buildings just hold the heat, it's 29*C in my room at 7am.  I am going to Brighton today in hope that it's cooler and breezier, as my apartment is just rancid.   I am not sure how babies deal with aircon though?  It makes me cough at the best of times. 

Posted

Its been a letdown on the storm front for the london region.

Saw some flashes last night, and heard some rumbles, around 8:40pm. Later around 10;30, saw some distant flashing, but this was probably another storm. Most of the storms were west of where I live in Ealing. We need a storm system coming up from the south to track north east, if london and the SE are in with a chance.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Are there any question marks about that reading from 1990? It just puzzles me how there have been many more heatwaves since then and more impressive uppers than in 1990 on a number of occasions, but we can't seem to get close.

Posted
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

Given how little of the summer this type of weather occupies, it's still not of high enough concern for new builds to be completely changed. As you've pointed out, air con is not environmentally friendly either.

As with all things it’s about balance. And also creating a good enough argument for change. If there’s proof that changing buildings to deal with heat better would save x amount of lives it might be a persuasive argument. It maybe a week or two of hot weather but in the SE it’s months of warm weather. I can see both sides. That said in a few months time it’ll be cold and damp and I’ll probably be making an argument for building more air tight warmer houses lol 

Edited by Coopsy

Posted
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Unbelievably its temps are up nearly 3C on yesterday. @Mapantz could be another 32C if the breeze holds off. 

Arpege has 35C inland just inland from Bournemouth. 

Maybe today eh? So frustrating on the coast though not knowing if the sea breeze will kick in at any moment!

27.6C here already, wow!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

Maybe today eh? So frustrating on the coast though not knowing if the sea breeze will kick in at any moment!

This sea breeze has been really annoying for me too, think it has already kicked in so doubt it will get above 29 here at best today, had another warm night though min 21.3. Every time the temperatures shoots up I get kicked in the teeth by the sea breeze, good luck all for the final very hot day and good luck for thunderstorms tonight.

• Like 1

Posted

the first half of last night was the hottest night I can ever recall for trying to sleep. I dozed off at some point and woke to a slightly cooler room, but holy moly, It was like sleeping in a bowl of hot soup. Dog was panting so had to remove her and put her down in the kitchen where its cooler and woke up to find the missus had also vacated to the couch in the middle of the night. Horrendous.