Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Try telling this to people in Scotland right now, while it’s tipping down with rain and 19c. Who wants that?

I think the same thing would happen if you were living and working in Spain, the heat would lose its novelty factor, because you are not on holiday. Vice versa, if I’m visiting London or the SE from another country, I might be in a position to appreciate the hot spell. Some people enjoy hot weather.

I would pay good money to swap weather with the fine folk north of the wall. I like being able to sleep!

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree, I’m usually alright up to 25 degrees but above that and it gets too hot for me, esspecially if it’s been humid like today. We need a thunderstorm to clear the air.

I don’t like all this continental humid heat, much prefer a high pressure right over the country setup bringing clear sunny days and cool nights with low humidity like we had in Spring and in May-July 2018.

Or the early summer late spring warmth of April to late May 2020, which had plenty of sunny days, while evenings and mornings were still quite fresh. The humidity creeped in from the early June warm period. 

May 2018 was fresh, but June and July were hot and humid in London, apart from a couple of cooler weekends. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It would be interesting if there were more official weather stations right in the heart of London, or indeed other city centres around the UK. They really are few and far between.

Lots more wheelbarrow's lol  and way to many tarmacked roads , buildings everywhere, green space reduced , what to expect......

Posted
16 minutes ago, reef said:

Its times like this I'm glad I live so close to the North Sea. We're at 17.9C after a max of 25.9C and above 30C is rare.

I absolutely cannot imagine 30C at 10pm. How do you even endure that in this country without air con. Even places Ive been abroad wouldnt often be that warm so late. Its ridiculous.

Same. I’m in north Kent. You’d think living in Kent we’d have had 5 days of mid 30’s in this heatwave, but being right on the coast it’s been bearable since Friday. Only 28oC compared to 35oC just a few miles away today. Luckily we’ve had a lot of NE or E winds. Had they been from the south it would have been a different story.

Plus we get streamers in winter. Perfect location lol. 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Try telling this to people in Scotland right now, while it’s tipping down with rain and 19c. Who wants that?

I think the same thing would happen if you were living and working in Spain, the heat would lose its novelty factor, because you are not on holiday. Vice versa, if I’m visiting London or the SE from another country, I might be in a position to appreciate the hot spell. Some people enjoy hot weather.

Places like Spain and other hot countries are built for the heat. Villas with high ceilings, air conditioning etc. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s still not the same though. Most houses in Spain and other hot countries are designed to stay cool and usually have air conditioning, plus pools so you can cool off easily.  British houses on the other hand are designed to trap as much heat as possible. People are also much more acclimatised to heat in a hot climate, whereas in this country, we are used to cool, cloudy and damp weather most of the time, so when it does get hot here, our bodies are not used to it. Also, people are usually allowed to wear summer clothes at work in hot countries, and public transport often has air conditioning. Whereas in this country, lots of people have to wear office clothes to work, and most public transport doesn’t have air con. 

We have it harder in the heat.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

Very muggy and warm in Manchester its still 27c at 22.00.  Feels like the tropics especially when you've been inside a chilled supermarket for 15 minutes and then walk back outside you can feel the heat and humid biting right away.
Met office app has nothing below 22C all night. 

Edited by 38.7°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
40 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yeah but the best part about foreign holidays is that you can enjoy the weather by doing naff all but sit by the pool, drink some cold ones, and go to bed in an air conditioned room.

"Foreign holiday weather" when I have to sleep in a flat that's 30C and then go to work in the morning? Nope. No thank you.

This has to be up there as one of the most unpleasant, uncomfortable evenings I've ever experienced in this country. The sweat is pouring off me.

clearly you dont know how to cool down! lol

ive just been skinny dipping in my pool.. (not overlooked)..

my bedroom when i lived with my parents was an attic... that was in the 70's... i slept through the heat of 75 and 76, maybe that aclimatised me.. i dunno..

i get that some dont like the heat, but c'mon.. a handful of nights a year when we can enjoy the evening outside without shivering?..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
11 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

I live in one of these eco friendly apartments in zone 1 without aircon.  Amazing in winter but a tropic tank in the summer.  Everything in the house is warm. The cupboards etc are warm.  This is a first in 10 years.  Obsurd.

Heathrow at 29C at 10pm.  Might just do that record minima. 

I feel your pain! I have bars of chocolate in the cupboard that have turned to mush, chocolate biscuits completely melted. Everything indoors is hot to the touch.

If this is the norm in XX years then they'll have to retrofit homes with AC otherwise summers London will become unbearable.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
35 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m surprised your humidity was so low. Had slightly cooler temperature here but more humidity. Currently 23.7°C with 73% humidity. Feels very warm and stuffy.

mines higher then londons... yours is high after last nights storms

cold shower... fan.... copious amounts of alcohol... heat is no problem to sleep

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s still not the same though. Most houses in Spain and other hot countries are designed to stay cool and usually have air conditioning, plus pools so you can cool off easily.  British houses on the other hand are designed to trap as much heat as possible. People are also much more acclimatised to heat in a hot climate, whereas in this country, we are used to cool, cloudy and damp weather most of the time. Also, people are usually allowed to wear summer clothes at work in hot countries, and public transport often has air conditioning. Whereas in this country, lots of people have to wear office clothes to work, and most public transport doesn’t have air con. 

We have it harder in the heat.

Having lived in Spain, I can confirm that most houses do not have pools and/or air conditioning. Expensive new builds and non residential buildings often do but it’s up to the individual.

Posted
3 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

clearly you dont know how to cool down! lol

ive just been skinny dipping in my pool.. (not overlooked)..

my bedroom when i lived with my parents was an attic... that was in the 70's... i slept through the heat of 75 and 76, maybe that aclimatised me.. i dunno..

i get that some dont like the heat, but c'mon.. a handful of nights a year when we can enjoy the evening outside without shivering?..

Oh yeah, me and the rest of normal folk will just go and jump in our pools 

If you can suggest how to keep cool in a top floor flat, with no outdoor space, no air conditioning and just a fan to keep cool, I'm all ears.

Ps. I don't have a pool. Nor do the vast majority of people. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Oh yeah, me and the rest of normal folk will just go and jump in our pools 

If you can suggest how to keep cool in a top floor flat, with no outdoor space, no air conditioning and just a fan to keep cool, I'm all ears.

Ps. I don't have a pool. Nor do the vast majority of people. 

If I’ve said it once....Portable air con unit - you’ll never look back  

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I would pay good money to swap weather with the fine folk north of the wall. I like being able to sleep!

No thanks. I hate the wind and rain, which ruined my few days down in Eastbourne. Ok, slight exaggeration, but it hampered our hiking along the Beachy Head trail. 

Mind you, plus 25c would be too hot to do hill walking. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Coopsy said:

Yep, if this is going to be the norm for summer then air conditioning is going to be essential. I'm just so glad I'm not on night shifts right now.

There needs to be a discussion on how buildings need to be made for the future, we're not built to deal with the worst of summer.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

Yep, if this is going to be the norm for summer then air conditioning is going to be essential. I'm just so glad I'm not on night shifts right now.

There needs to be a discussion on how buildings need to be made for the future, we're not built to deal with the worst of summer.

That’s a good point about the future of our new builds. They really do need to take into account climate change if this is the new norm. But, if its not cost effective I can’t see builders factoring this in. It’d take govt legislation. Unfortunately air con is not environmentally friendly so it’d have to be a new way of building properties. I just can’t see it happening unfortunately 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
12 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

mines higher then londons... yours is high after last nights storms

cold shower... fan.... copious amounts of alcohol... heat is no problem to sleep

If you can sleep in 30 degree heat then you are among a very small minority! 

These are not warm nights, they're hot and unbearable. Nowhere else in the UK consistently retains the heat as much as London does. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
9 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

How noisy are they? I’m also assuming you need it piped out of an open window?

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

How noisy are they? I’m also assuming you need it piped out of an open window?

Yes the hose goes out the window and they are noisy. Before I got perm air con I used to have it on til I went to bed. Then turn it off. It’d keep it cool for a large portion of the night and allow a nice sleep. For under £200 it was a great investment. It was just a bit of work setting up/getting in each time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
28 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

I feel your pain! I have bars of chocolate in the cupboard that have turned to mush, chocolate biscuits completely melted. Everything indoors is hot to the touch.

If this is the norm in XX years then they'll have to retrofit homes with AC otherwise summers London will become unbearable.

It’s stupid of me for not investing in portable air conditioners. However lockdown didn’t help.  It’s unbearable in here each year, but this year is exceptional.  Every day is hotter than the last as they hold the heat. 

at least when it was 37.8C last month it was breezy.  Strangely the tube is very cool this year, must be the lack of people making it horrible. 

• Like 2

Posted

Can't wait for this heatwave to be over. The humidity is terrible down here its like being in Florida or the southeastern USA rather than southeastern England. At least when last year we had 38.7C the heat was pretty dry and tempreatures at night dropped to the mid teens, unlike now where they arent falling below 20c. Bring on autumn is all I can say. If only these tempreatures had been spaced out across the summer months rather than having one mouth of slightly above average temps , an awful july and then a scorching couple of weeks in august 

• Like 3

Posted

Was too young to really remember, but was the hottest two week spell in June / July 1976 humid?

The most humid spell I can remember is August 1997: very warm and sticky nights, with daytime maxes around 30. Seemed more humid than now, although back then I did live in Romford, East London rather than out in the sticks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
41 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

That’s a good point about the future of our new builds. They really do need to take into account climate change if this is the new norm. But, if its not cost effective I can’t see builders factoring this in. It’d take govt legislation. Unfortunately air con is not environmentally friendly so it’d have to be a new way of building properties. I just can’t see it happening unfortunately 

Given how little of the summer this type of weather occupies, it's still not of high enough concern for new builds to be completely changed. As you've pointed out, air con is not environmentally friendly either.

I think we need to calm down - this hygrowave we're in hasn't even lasted a week yet.

• Like 1