Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
9 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This is the hottest it’s felt so far. Sweating absolute buckets just eating my dinner. I was lucky enough to have the day off today so just sat in my actual pants playing Xbox and peeling myself from my chair every ten minutes.

Back to the sweatbox office tomorrow. Yay. 

I agree today felt the hottest so far.  Another sleepless night ahead.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
12 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

i  love the warmth, i sweat too but i like cooling off.. i like having few clothes on, feeling warm air against my skin, the way the humidity magnifies the scents of my lilies, it rare in this country to be able to have "foreign holidays" type conditions here at home...

Yeah but the best part about foreign holidays is that you can enjoy the weather by doing naff all but sit by the pool, drink some cold ones, and go to bed in an air conditioned room.

"Foreign holiday weather" when I have to sleep in a flat that's 30C and then go to work in the morning? Nope. No thank you.

This has to be up there as one of the most unpleasant, uncomfortable evenings I've ever experienced in this country. The sweat is pouring off me.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
36 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

With the NE wind, it's been a real game of cat and mouse with the sea breeze - on Sunday we hardly had any here and reached 34C, yesterday it came in early and we only just scrapped 30C.

Normally, sea breezes kick in here, hence why it's normally so difficult to achieve 30°C. However, for 95% of this hot spell, the wind has been in the range of NW to E and that keeps the temps climbing. I did notice several attempts at a sea breeze today as the wind swung to the S and SW and thus the temp fell a couple of degrees, but it didn't last long as it swung back around to ENE and up she went to 32.7°C.

WindDirDay.thumb.png.9c80261f3c0471bbffd0bac953d0eea6.png TemperatureDay.thumb.png.e05ac68347b6ae48d59ee4c5afb168ca.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I agree today felt the hottest so far.  Another sleepless night ahead.....

Yes, as much as I clamour for heat, tonight will be disgusting. My bedroom is in the loft so it is an absolute furnace in there. I’m sat outside delaying the inevitable. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

I wonder if there's a chance of the overnight minimum record going tonight? Heathrow is still at 30C...

The problem with Heathrow having a stab at it though is that it's not in the bowels of London, meaning the urban heat island effect is less pronounced - it loses heat fairly quickly. Never say never though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, mushymanrob said:

31c, 46% humidity.... i LOVE it...

I’m surprised your humidity was so low. Had slightly cooler temperature here but more humidity. Currently 23.7°C with 73% humidity. Feels very warm and stuffy.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The problem with Heathrow having a stab at it though is that it's not in the bowels of London, meaning the urban heat island effect is less pronounced - it loses heat fairly quickly. Never say never though.

True, but Brighton managed it! I’d like to know what the precise setup was to enable it to happen, as I doubt Brighton was anywhere close to being the hottest place during the preceding day.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yes, as much as I clamour for heat, tonight will be disgusting. My bedroom is in the loft so it is an absolute furnace in there. I’m sat outside delaying the inevitable. 

Yes, the problem with UK summers in general is that most of the time it’s cool, damp and dull, then out of nowhere it goes super hot and uncomfortable for a few days, then back to cool, damp and dull. Our houses are also built to retain heat at night, so get very uncomfortable in hot weather, especially at night.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

I wonder if there's a chance of the overnight minimum record going tonight? Heathrow is still at 30C...

Ouch!

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m surprised your humidity was so low. Had slightly cooler temperature here but more humidity. Currently 23.7°C with 73% humidity. Feels very warm and stuffy.

It's because it's a much higher temperature. Relative humidity is simply a measure of how much moisture is in the air as a percentage of the maximum possible. Warmer air can hold much more water than colder air. Therefore an air mass at 30C will have a lower relative humidity than an air mass at 20C with exactly the same moisture in both.

In your examples, you have a dew point of 19C, mushy has a dew point of 18C - you have almost identical absolute humidities (the amount of water vapour per cubic metre of air).

Dew point is a much better measure of water content of the air.

• Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Normally, sea breezes kick in here, hence why it's normally so difficult to achieve 30°C. However, for 95% of this hot spell, the wind has been in the range of NW to E and that keeps the temps climbing. I did notice several attempts at a sea breeze today as the wind swung to the S and SW and thus the temp fell a couple of degrees, but it didn't last long as it swung back around to ENE and up she went to 32.7°C.

WindDirDay.thumb.png.9c80261f3c0471bbffd0bac953d0eea6.png TemperatureDay.thumb.png.e05ac68347b6ae48d59ee4c5afb168ca.png

I’m sure a lot of people in the south will be grateful for any sea breeze they can get at the moment!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

It would be interesting if there were more official weather stations right in the heart of London, or indeed other city centres around the UK. They really are few and far between.

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, Azazel said:

This is the hottest it’s felt so far. Sweating absolute buckets just eating my dinner. I was lucky enough to have the day off today so just sat in my actual pants playing Xbox and peeling myself from my chair every ten minutes.

Back to the sweatbox office tomorrow. Yay. 

Read that as “peeing myself in the chair every ten minutes” and I was like “WTF”?!

Yes I’ve just been in my boxers myself for most of the day. Too hot for clothes. Lol.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

Its times like this I'm glad I live so close to the North Sea. We're at 17.9C after a max of 25.9C and above 30C is rare.

I absolutely cannot imagine 30C at 10pm. How do you even endure that in this country without air con. Even places Ive been abroad wouldnt often be that warm so late. Its ridiculous.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It would be interesting if there were more official weather stations right in the heart of London, or indeed other city centres around the UK. They really are few and far between.

Didn’t they have a station in the Olympic Park in Stratford at one point?

Posted

Peak of the hot spell here right now, up until today whilst warm we haven't experienced that hot sticky feeling, alas we have today, max of 28 degrees. A very stuffy night ahead, uncomfortable. Tomorrow looks very similar but greater chance of thunderstorms, by Thursday slightly cooler conditions likely but staying humid. No a fan of August always our most humid month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I live in one of these eco friendly apartments in zone 1 without aircon.  Amazing in winter but a tropic tank in the summer.  Everything in the house is warm. The cupboards etc are warm.  This is a first in 10 years.  Obsurd.

Heathrow at 29C at 10pm.  Might just do that record minima. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
29 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yeah but the best part about foreign holidays is that you can enjoy the weather by doing naff all but sit by the pool, drink some cold ones, and go to bed in an air conditioned room.

"Foreign holiday weather" when I have to sleep in a flat that's 30C and then go to work in the morning? Nope. No thank you.

This has to be up there as one of the most unpleasant, uncomfortable evenings I've ever experienced in this country. The sweat is pouring off me.

This is the thing. I love the heat as much as anyone, but there is no where to escape it in this country, unless you go into a shop or a restaurant. Ironically if I was back working in the office I’d be in an air conditioned workplace, but working from home means being stuck in a stifling hot house. When you’re on holiday you’re usually back in a nice air conditioned room or by the pool or can take a dip in the sea. Our homes in this country really aren’t built for the heat. 

It’s been 5 days on the trot here with temperatures between 33c and 36c, with probably another day in the mid 30s tomorrow. 

But you know what? I’ll be chasing the next heatwave. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's been around 30C in Exeter today.  I don't actually mind those temperatures outdoors - for me it's a bit hot but bearable, and a part of me quite enjoys experiencing 30C just because it happens relatively rarely here.  The problem is that my living room has also reached 30C, and sustained indoor temperatures of 30C are somewhat tricky for working from home in - I have probably worked at just 50-60% of my normal productivity rate over the past two days.

I will consider it worth it if I get a thunderstorm in the next 24-36 hours though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Peak of the hot spell here right now, up until today whilst warm we haven't experienced that hot sticky feeling, alas we have today, max of 28 degrees. A very stuffy night ahead, uncomfortable. Tomorrow looks very similar but greater chance of thunderstorms, by Thursday slightly cooler conditions likely but staying humid. No a fan of August always our most humid month.

I agree, I’m usually alright up to 25 degrees but above that and it gets too hot for me, esspecially if it’s been humid like today. We need a thunderstorm to clear the air.

I don’t like all this continental humid heat, much prefer a high pressure right over the country setup bringing clear sunny days and cool nights with low humidity like we had in Spring and in May-July 2018.

Posted
11 minutes ago, reef said:

Its times like this I'm glad I live so close to the North Sea. We're at 17.9C after a max of 25.9C and above 30C is rare.

I absolutely cannot imagine 30C at 10pm. How do you even endure that in this country without air con. Even places Ive been abroad wouldnt often be that warm so late. Its ridiculous.

I'm not going to lie, I love extreme weather but five days of this non stop heat has broken me tonight. I just cannot get cool. 26C at 10pm - great if you're outdoors, terrible indoors. This is a bit like that moment in winter when snow turns to dirty slush and you think "time for it to go now"

but yes @danm, I know I'll be chasing the next heatwave too, what's wrong with me!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Try telling this to people in Scotland right now, while it’s tipping down with rain and 19c. Who wants that?

I think the same thing would happen if you were living and working in Spain, the heat would lose its novelty factor, because you are not on holiday. Vice versa, if I’m visiting London or the SE from another country, I might be in a position to appreciate the hot spell. Some people enjoy hot weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
19 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

There is St James’s Park and Kew Gardens. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Don said:

Actually I’m looking forward to be able to go out for a walk and not be sweating profusely within a few minutes!  A good nights sleep would be nice too.  Each to their own but I cannot understand how people can enjoy this weather.

Me neither, 25°C and sunny with low humidity  is nice but 30°C+ and humid during the day and 17°C+ and humid at night is horrible.

• Like 1