Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side

I’m sitting here a bit bewildered reading all the high temps as I consider whether I should put the heating on or not!

• Like 1

Some crazy temp readings on what is becoming a very hot day over a widespread area. I few unusually high temp/DP combos currently

North Wyke - Devon 29/21C

Exeter - 31/20C

Gloucester Airport 32/20C

Hersty 32/20C

Bristol 27/21C

Even Manchester 29/20C

Dew Points that high are just not usually the spread out nationwide like that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yes, 30.5C and 20.8C DP here at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Well, I didn't expect to break my record twice in the last couple of days.. got to 32.7°C here, remarkable!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Well, I didn't expect to break my record twice in the last couple of days.. got to 32.7°C here, remarkable!

Amazing.....is that following a dip or before? If the former how far did it fall back and rise again?

Posted
24 minutes ago, markyo said:

Showing a Humidex of 38.6c in Sheffield at the moment

Humidex doesn't use a temperature suffix. It's just a dimensionless index number.

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

Amazing.....is that following a dip or before? If the former how far did it fall back and rise again?

Several dips from 31.8°C down to 30 something before cranking up to 32.7°C just after 4pm. I was .1°C away from my dew point record too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Humidex doesn't use a temperature suffix. It's just a dimensionless index number.

I get that.  But see below.

The humidex (short for humidity index) is an index number used by Canadian meteorologists to describe how hot the weather feels to the average person, by combining the effect of heat and humidity.

This has been used for decades. It is now used world wide. The key is the use of the words average person.

Edited by markyo

Posted
Just now, markyo said:

I get that.  But see below.

The humidex (short for humidity index) is an index number used by Canadian meteorologists to describe how hot the weather feels to the average person, by combining the effect of heat and humidity.

This has been used for decades.

But an index of 38 doesn't equate to 38°C

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

But an index of 38 doesn't equate to 38°C

Its not a mathematical constant. It is a non linear equation based on research. It equates to the feel of the temp,not the actual temp. It is not 38c in Sheffield! Far from it!  if the temperature is 30 °C (86 °F) and the calculated humidex is 40, then that means the humid heat feels like a dry temperature of 40 °C (104 °F).

Edited by markyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm springs, hot summers, warm then stormy autumn

31.3°C after a high of 33.9°C earlier. Hot!

Posted
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Its not a mathematical constant. It is a non linear equation based on research. It equates to the feel of the temp,not the actual temp. It is not 38c in Sheffield! Far from it!

It didn't say it was.

I'm simply stating, a humidex of 38 doesn't equate to feeling like 38°C, hence why it doesn't have a temperature suffix. It's a common misconception to treat it as a feels like temperature. The UK Met Office standard is to use their own feels like, which uses the humidity and wind with the temperature.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It didn't say it was.

I'm simply stating, a humidex of 38 doesn't equate to feeling like 38°C, hence why it doesn't have a temperature suffix. It's a common misconception to treat it as a feels like temperature. The UK Met Office standard is to use their own feels like, which uses the humidity and wind with the temperature.

We will have to agree to disagree then on this one. But without a doubt it is a hot spell! Your records i've seen have tumbled! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Only thing keeping me going at the moment in this awful,crap,debilitating,vile weather is the knowledge it will soon be over. If anybody can now complain about this summer being not hot! Records are falling everywhere!

It’s not been hot everywhere, though. Most of the heat has affected more southern parts. It will be over fairly soon, but it’s also good to have some perspective; even in London, this summer has delivered maybe 8-9 hot days out of 70 (so far), with many of those 70 days not being all that good, and downright awful in many more northern and western parts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Just nudged up to 30 °C here in Bewdley in the last few minutes, though in terms of feel it's probably the hottest-feeling day of the summer due to the humidity. (I make the dew point here 19 °C.) It doesn't feel as oppressive as yesterday -- almost no cloud and certainly no rain within miles. But go for a walk at any pace at all and you need a shower when you get back!

Posted

Looks like 35.3C is the max, then. Strange! So hot this morning, yet didn't really kick on during the afternoon. Maybe this is the cap we can expect on an easterly source. Could have gone higher on the south coast had the sea breeze not kicked in, I think!

Posted
18 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Most of the heat has affected more southern parts

Well thats not right! Was at 3 sites today,Leeds and Manchester, every single person was complaining how hot it was.....could have told them try the 3 decomm rooms i've just been in, 2nd one was small and reached 44c then the kit started tripping out due to the heat!. Then they could complain!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Wouldn't be summer 2020 without another flop here, this "warm spell" here in Dublin:

Friday - Mostly cloudy but some nice sunny spells at times. 24C, warmest day since 2nd June..

Saturday - Lots of sunshine, 19C. One of the best days of the year

Sunday - Cloudy throughout, 18C.

Monday - Cloudy with rain at times, 16C.

Tuesday - Cloudy, misty and murky. 19C

Wouldn't have liked the 30s southern and SE England have had but some more sunshine would be nice especially after one of the dullest Junes and Julys on record. This summer all round has been a disaster here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

latest GFS keeps the warm weather well into next week. Gone is the extreme heat, but warmth holds on. Low to mid 20s for all. 

Alle effing luia! Because I, for one, am sick of all this heat and humidity: nowt saps one's energy more than heat and humidity!

• Like 2

Posted

29.6C here and with the humidity around 60% I'm really struggling to remember a hotter feeling day- amazing. Feels a lot like Florida.

Very little wind too- really stifling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Another stifling day in London. 35c again. That’s five days on the bounce now where we have exceeded 33c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Lovely evening to have a stroll about the area, still 30 degrees and nice and humid. Nothing convective looking to be seen though but I notice some big storms going up in cold Scotland where it's barely 20 degrees. Anyway ARPEGE was totally wrong for us today with the GFS winning out with its temp forecasts of 30 degrees. Very nice day, tomorrow I expect similar. No storms, but can't have everything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
WWW.LIGHTNINGMAPS.ORG

See lightning strikes in real time across the planet. Free access to maps of former thunderstorms. By Blitzortung.org and contributors.

32 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Looks like eastern side england could be in for some fun and games this evening as a developing supercell continues to develop n France headed north .....

France lit up like an Xmas tree on the latest sferics. Massive storms breaking out.